Sign in to follow this  
halksmash

Leone or Greene

10 team H2H. Most teams are carrying between 3-4 closers (slim pickings left). 3 move limit per week, and 30/move limit per season. I need one more closer...Leone is on a better team and has impressed, but who knows if he keeps his job. Greene on the other hand is on a bad team, and looked shaky last year. 

Whats my play here?

Greene, for these reasons:

- Matheny hasn't even said Leone is going to be closing, it's just speculation at this point

- It seems like it's Gregerson's job to keep warm, and it could even be a committee while he's out

- Greene has almost no competition behind him

- It's a misconception that bad teams get fewer save opportunities.  It's been proven that there is only about an 18% correlation between wins and saves - good teams that win a lot of games win by a lot of runs, and bad teams usually only win by a few.  

Go with the sure thing and you can set him and forget him.

I will go with Greene as well. Leone is the current closer but if he doesn't do well they have Lyons and also Gregerson when he is back from DL. If Leone pitches well, I think he will hold on into the job. 

I burned a roster spot and went Gregerson / Leone over Green.  Just don't love the skills with Green but I would probably go with him if I was only rostering one person from the Stl staff based on the higher floor for Green.  I plan to drop one of Gregerson or Leone for help elsewhere a few weeks into the season. 

Green doesn't have a lot of competition in Detroit so he is a good bet for 20+ saves with ratios that won't hurt too much and could be just fine.