fakespike

Austin Ekeler 2018 Outlook

I tried to edit but was too late:

Edit: And as people have mentioned, game flow was VERY un-ordinary for the Chargers this week.  Before last week, the Chargers were running an average of 60 plays per game.  This past week they ran 44 plays.  So this last week Ekeler got 19 opportunities (carries + targets), which was a 43% market share which is gigantic.  Extrapolate that to their normal game flow, and Ekeler would have seen around 29 opportunities.  His 11.8 PPR points this week would have been much better at 18 PPR points.  They tried as hard as they could to involve Ekeler in the game and while it wasn't spectacular, he owned almost half the plays the Chargers ran which is a huge deal IMO.  

• Like 1

Did you guys watch the game? Chargers were having success throwing it deep. Ekeler was wide open all game, but rivers was looking downfield. You're crazy if you drop or trade him. 

It’s interesting reading a thread when you don’t own shares in a player. If there is a PPR league where Ekeler is droppable, that’s either an 8 team league, or a league where only 2RBs are rostered.

in my .5 PPR league, he is RB15. And it’s not like he is there because he had 2 awesome weeks and then duds. I see these “experts” on FF Pros ranking him around 39 ROS. Some experts.

Anyway, drop him or trade him for nothing if you want. I’m looking to get me some shares.

• Like 1

any news on this guy? he's hanging around on my waiver wire in a standard league and i am DESPERATE for rb help. seems like he's tailed off a bit. might he be worth a pickup?

28 minutes ago, yossarian said:

any news on this guy? he's hanging around on my waiver wire in a standard league and i am DESPERATE for rb help. seems like he's tailed off a bit. might he be worth a pickup?

Standard, I'm not sure.  He's a Coleman-type back in the sense that he's a backup who is still flex-able because of his role in the passing game. But that is more PPR. RB is pretty bad in most leagues, so unless you want a real lottery ticket like Malcolm Brown or similar, he's probably as good as you can get. 

Edited by ColKurtz

37 minutes ago, yossarian said:

If you have space on your bench I would hold him in the chance Melvin rests one more week, if Melvin plays hes a toss up in standard. 

His performance with Gordon out was concerning. The hope was he's an RB3 with high-end RB2 upside with Gordon out, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I have a feeling if Gordon misses extended time Jackson sees more and more touches (including goalline). Don't get me wrong, Ekeler is certainly rosterable, particularly in PPR, but much like Tevin Coleman listed above, he doesn't appear to be a guy who will explode with the starter hurt.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BGDDYKWL said:

His performance with Gordon out was concerning. The hope was he's an RB3 with high-end RB2 upside with Gordon out, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I have a feeling if Gordon misses extended time Jackson sees more and more touches (including goalline). Don't get me wrong, Ekeler is certainly rosterable, particularly in PPR, but much like Tevin Coleman listed above, he doesn't appear to be a guy who will explode with the starter hurt.

I think Ekeler's performance while Gordon was out was primarily due to how long the Titans had possession. If Gordon is out once again, I believe Ekeler can have RB2 value. 

• Like 3

Unlikely that anything is better on the wire so you don't drop but as said above he's more of a tevin Coleman type. You're banking on Gordon getting injured again and being out for a few weeks (or entire rest of season) to see anything beyond flex value

Maybe the chargers cut Gordon's workload a little and up ekelers after this recent injury scare. Thoughts

Of Gordon sits I view him as a high end rb2. Last game wouldn't have been good to Gordon if he had played. Chargers were scoring on long pass plays and not chewing up any clock

14 minutes ago, jwork said:

Maybe the chargers cut Gordon's workload a little and up ekelers after this recent injury scare. Thoughts

Nah that makes way too much sense 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jwork said:

Doubtful. Same workload if Gordon starts. If Gordon sits he has higher upside but he's doesn't appear to be a guy that can take over the backfield if Gordon misses extended time. 

Sure the titans sucked the life out of everything but I still believe Gordon would have had much better production. He's a Flex play with some upside if Gordon sits

13 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

13 hours ago, shift05 said:

I think Ekeler's performance while Gordon was out was primarily due to how long the Titans had possession. If Gordon is out once again, I believe Ekeler can have RB2 value. 

I think this is accurate and something that has been discussed after the London game before the Charger's bye.  Game flow did not do Ekeler any favors at all.  Titans far out-possessed the Chargers (35:23 vs. 24:37) and a lot of the Charger's scoring was done on some LONG bomb TDs which cut their drives short.  I mentioned it in an earlier post, but Ekeler received a HEFTY amount of work in this game.  I think with a more normal game flow, he would have had a much better day.  If Melvin sits this week, I think Ekeler is a must start.  Even if Melvin is active, I think Ekeler is a really nice RB2/FLEX even due to the amount of teams on bye week.

Here's my post from above:

And as people have mentioned, game flow was VERY un-ordinary for the Chargers this week.  Before last week, the Chargers were running an average of 60 plays per game.  This past week they ran 44 plays.  So this last week Ekeler got 19 opportunities (carries + targets), which was a 43% market share which is gigantic.  Extrapolate that to their normal game flow, and Ekeler would have seen around 29 opportunities.  His 11.8 PPR points this week would have been much better at 18 PPR points.  They tried as hard as they could to involve Ekeler in the game and while it wasn't spectacular, he owned almost half the plays the Chargers ran which is a huge deal IMO.  

So while the game flow of the Chargers/Titans game limited the gross output of the offense, Ekeler still amassed 43%!!! of the opportunities on offense.  That's HUGE!

Edited by Fort4242
  • Thanks 4

12 hours ago, scheibler said:

Of Gordon sits I view him as a high end rb2. Last game wouldn't have been good to Gordon if he had played. Chargers were scoring on long pass plays and not chewing up any clock

Let's not forget that the game was in England, also. Can you imagine being a west coast team having to fly all that way? It's bad enough for an east coast team.

Yeah, it's not a big deal...but I think it was a factor to add to the Titans owning the ball and the Chargers scoring on long plays. It all adds up to a less than stellar fantasy start for him.

Seahawks defense is no joke. Top 5 in yards and points allowed. Plus they are at home. 

Absolutely no chance I am starting him if Gordon is playing. If he is out, i'll roll with him as he will get solid volume.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ADDwithFF said:

I'm starting him with confidence with or without Gordon starting. 

Disclaimer - I have to because of byes  :D

Same here. I actually had to start the dynamic duo of Mostert and Ekeler this week lol. Mostert came through with a nice game before he snapped his stick. We'll asee what Hannibal Ekeler can do.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Seahawks defense is no joke. Top 5 in yards and points allowed. Plus they are at home. 

Absolutely no chance I am starting him if Gordon is playing. If he is out, i'll roll with him as he will get solid volume.

What happened to Seattle defense being trash to start the year and then losing a key player too? Crazy, but props. I shouldn't have dropped them earlier this year.

13 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

What happened to Seattle defense being trash to start the year and then losing a key player too? Crazy, but props. I shouldn't have dropped them earlier this year.

Good defensive coach along with a lot of young talent. They drained the swamp of bad locker room presence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How are we feeling on Ekeler today as it has been announced that Gordon will be playing? I may look elsewhere for this week in standard, as this appears to be a bad match up. 

1 hour ago, shift05 said:

How are we feeling on Ekeler today as it has been announced that Gordon will be playing? I may look elsewhere for this week in standard, as this appears to be a bad match up. 

Mid range flex like he always was in ppr. Even lower in standard

Just now, Armed_Rodgery said:

Is this guy even startable in a 12-team standard league? Byes are hurting and the waiver pool is pretty abysmal at this point. 

He hasn’t cracked my lineup since the game in London. 1PPR league too. He’s simply a cuff for me.

2 minutes ago, Armed_Rodgery said:

Is this guy even startable in a 12-team standard league? Byes are hurting and the waiver pool is pretty abysmal at this point. 

If there is any week to start him it is this week against a horrific Oakland defense. The Chargers should be in control the majority of the game and as a result Im starting Gordon and Ekeler at flex