fakespike

Austin Ekeler 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, beerfish said:

Week 15 vs. KC is pretty much the reason I have held onto him all year.

 

If Gordon is still out Ekeler becomes a playoff winner. Glad I didn't trade or rage drop him after the titans game 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Guwop said:

 

If Gordon is still out Ekeler becomes a playoff winner. Glad I didn't trade or rage drop him after the titans game 

If you were not already a Gordon, maybe.

 

Ekeler has mostly been mediocre this season. It would be hard to fault anyone that dropped him at any point this season. 

Edited by Grayson2401
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats everyone... man I can’t catch a break.

 

Drafted and held him the entire year, finally gave up and dropped him and BOOM like clockwork.  /csb/rant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Guwop said:

 

If Gordon is still out Ekeler becomes a playoff winner. Glad I didn't trade or rage drop him after the titans game 

 

I own Ekeler in a couple leagues as a standalone player instead of as a cuff.  Don't see him as a "league winner" outside of denying the MG3 owner having the cuff and getting the opportunity to be amused about how he'll backfill the RB spot.  This year at RB there's an elite tier of about 5-6 guys (Gurley, Kamara, Barkley, MG3, Hunt) then a bunch of trusted RB1 types (Conner, Zeke, CMC, White, sometimes DJ) then a bunch of interchangeable RB2 types (Lindsay, Chubb, Ingram, etc.) so no matter what the Gordon owner does it's going to be a massive downgrade for their team.  If they have the Ekeler cuff it simply limits the damage, if they don't have Eke they might not even have a RB2 quality guy to plug into the MG3 spot.  It's going to make their championship run much harder if not completely torpedo their playoff chances unless they get a lucky playoff draw.  There's probably a bunch of guys rolling out MG3 and James Conner at RB who were already planning how to spend their league winnings who are probably pretty hearing the sad trombone sound in their minds now. 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Grayson2401 said:

If you were not already a Gordon, maybe.

 

Ekeler has mostly been mediocre this season. It would be hard to fault anyone that dropped him at any point this season. 

 

Nobody really owned Ekeler in the hopes of a #2 RB on a team performing fantasy relevance.  We all held onto him because Melvin Gordon can't really complete a season coupled with his injury history.  It's pretty easy to fault someone who dropped him due to the nature of the Chargers this year.  This guy slides from semi irrelevant to RB1/RB2 upside.  I don't know many handcuffs more important in the backfield than this guy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, jumper said:

 

I own Ekeler in a couple leagues as a standalone player instead of as a cuff.  Don't see him as a "league winner" outside of denying the MG3 owner having the cuff and getting the opportunity to be amused about how he'll backfill the RB spot.  This year at RB there's an elite tier of about 5-6 guys (Gurley, Kamara, Barkley, MG3, Hunt) then a bunch of trusted RB1 types (Conner, Zeke, CMC, White, sometimes DJ) then a bunch of interchangeable RB2 types (Lindsay, Chubb, Ingram, etc.) so no matter what the Gordon owner does it's going to be a massive downgrade for their team.  If they have the Ekeler cuff it simply limits the damage, if they don't have Eke they might not even have a RB2 quality guy to plug into the MG3 spot.  It's going to make their championship run much harder if not completely torpedo their playoff chances unless they get a lucky playoff draw.  There's probably a bunch of guys rolling out MG3 and James Conner at RB who were already planning how to spend their league winnings who are probably pretty hearing the sad trombone sound in their minds now. 

 

 

 

LOL @ your RB tiers

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drafted this guy and held onto him all year, suffering through inconsistent play as a true handcuff.  Finally cut bait this week for a bye week fill-in I needed and of course MGIII gets hurt.  CSB (Cruel Story Bro)..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This guy certainly passes the eye test, I bet he gets tons of receiving work with Gordon gone. He's a lot like Phillip Lindsay - not huge but still powerful, great receiver, great in open space - except he's on a much better offense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, KuNiT21 said:

 

Nobody really owned Ekeler in the hopes of a #2 RB on a team performing fantasy relevance.  We all held onto him because Melvin Gordon can't really complete a season coupled with his injury history.  It's pretty easy to fault someone who dropped him due to the nature of the Chargers this year.  This guy slides from semi irrelevant to RB1/RB2 upside.  I don't know many handcuffs more important in the backfield than this guy.

Gordon has missed only 6 games in a shade over 3 1/2 seasons. His injury history is not very extensive for a RB with his volume. 

 

Handcuffs are great to have and all, but depending on your roster, byes, and the health of your team, they can be a luxury that not every team can afford to roster, especially if you were already holding a handcuff from another team. 

 

I can completely understand if an owner held onto Ekeler and it will appear to pay dividends, but I also would not fault owners if they dropped Ekeler (prior to the news late last week). 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really think this guy is going to pick up right where Melvin left off, scoring wise.  In my 0.5 ppr league, I can see him getting 15-20 ppg in more of a feature role.  He's like a better form of Danny Woodhead, and that one year Woodhead flirted with RB1 numbers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RonnieRonaldo said:

I really think this guy is going to pick up right where Melvin left off, scoring wise.  In my 0.5 ppr league, I can see him getting 15-20 ppg in more of a feature role.  He's like a better form of Danny Woodhead, and that one year Woodhead flirted with RB1 numbers. 

I have a hard time believing he picks up right where Gordon left off. Gordon will likely be missed dearly by his owners. 

 

Gordon has scored 16+ points in every game this season and 20+ in every game but one (PPR scoring). 

 

Ekeler scored 11 points in his lone game with Gordon absent. 

 

Gordon offered an unmatched floor and ceiling that Ekeler is unlikely to provide. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Grayson2401 said:

Gordon has missed only 6 games in a shade over 3 1/2 seasons. His injury history is not very extensive for a RB with his volume. 

 

Handcuffs are great to have and all, but depending on your roster, byes, and the health of your team, they can be a luxury that not every team can afford to roster, especially if you were already holding a handcuff from another team. 

 

I can completely understand if an owner held onto Ekeler and it will appear to pay dividends, but I also would not fault owners if they dropped Ekeler (prior to the news late last week). 

 

 

 

I see where your coming from, makes sense.  I guess my issue right now with Gordon was more personal for me.  Being I play just 3 leagues every year the chances of me landing Gordon was high.  I've been a Gordon owner at least on one team the last 3 years.  He has absolutely CRUSHED me when it came to playoff time.  Injury history in a real game vs fantasy is what broke it for me.  Everytime I slid in the playoffs previous years, Gordon was absent for me whether it was Week 13,14 or 15.  This year I had Melvin on my DND list and ultimately that kinda hurt me because I went Fournette instead of him.  However, I went Ekeler in all 3 leagues and managed to just hold onto him this entire season.  I feel bad for Gordon owners, but this is Gordon's motto every single year come fantasy playoff time.

Edited by KuNiT21
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That first game with Gordon out he played could of been bigger, but from what I remember a bunch of holding calls, rivers connecting for deep wide open touchdowns, Titans for whatever reason having these long time killing drives ruined ekelers game... titans on top of that are a stout run d... and even with all that he still gave you double digit fantasy points. 

Edited by ShowStopper
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's a better Woodhead. I picked him up off the WW on a hunch on Saturday. Giddyup everyone...possible league winner here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ShowStopper said:

That first game with Gordon out he played could of been bigger, but from what I remember a bunch of holding calls, rivers connecting for deep wide open touchdowns, Titans for whatever reason having these long time killing drives ruined ekelers game... titans on top of that are a stout run d... and even with all that he still gave you double digit fantasy points. 

We could do the "what-if" game and talk about defenses with each start of Melvin, too. 

 

11 may be double digits but it is still 5 points under Gordon's season low and about 14 points off his average. That is not to say Ekeler cannot or will not improve off that one performance, but there will likely be a very real drop-off. 

 

Guys like Ekeler usually thrive as the second option and their efficiency often takes a big hit when they become the lead back and volume increases. His receiving skills should help mitigate this but to expect even similar production to Melvin is wishful thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2018 at 5:42 AM, Conscious Pilot said:

Welp, looks like Gordon is going to start. 

 

shzcHrH.gif

 

 

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Melvin Gordon (questionable, hamstring/knee) "plans" to play Week 12 against the Cardinals.
There was some thought Gordon would sit out for maintenance purposes against an inferior opponent, but apparently he convinced the coaching staff to let him play. Even at less than 100 percent, Gordon will be a must-start in a can't-miss home matchup against the Cardinals. Austin Ekeler would have been an enticing RB2/low-cost DFS play had Gordon sat out, but now he's not an option. Nov 25 - 7:44 AM

giphy.gif

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grayson2401 said:

I have a hard time believing he picks up right where Gordon left off. Gordon will likely be missed dearly by his owners. 

 

Gordon has scored 16+ points in every game this season and 20+ in every game but one (PPR scoring). 

 

Ekeler scored 11 points in his lone game with Gordon absent. 

 

Gordon offered an unmatched floor and ceiling that Ekeler is unlikely to provide. 

 

It was in London, a bad game for the Chargers period. To gauge Ekeler's value just based on that one game is idiotic. And to think he will produce like MG3 is also idiotic. The smart owners here are expecting about 60-70% of Gordon's production. Very feasible, and I will be a happy camper if that is the case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

 

It was in London, a bad game for the Chargers period. To gauge Ekeler's value just based on that one game is idiotic. And to think he will produce like MG3 is also idiotic. The smart owners here are expecting about 60-70% of Gordon's production. Very feasible, and I will be a happy camper if that is the case. 

Exactly. We're definitely not gonna get Gordon production, but we should get two-thirds, which puts him right around the RB12-14 range with a very high floor. Obviously hurts losing Gordon, but it's not catastrophic if you have Ekeler. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

 

It was in London, a bad game for the Chargers period. To gauge Ekeler's value just based on that one game is idiotic. And to think he will produce like MG3 is also idiotic. The smart owners here are expecting about 60-70% of Gordon's production. Very feasible, and I will be a happy camper if that is the case. 

I am not basing his potential off of one game and mentioned this above. 

 

FWIW Dion Lewis rushed 13 times for 91 yards and caught 6 balls for another 64 yards in the same game. It was also a bad game for TEN. 

 

I am not really trying to argue because I agree with your last statement. Ekeler will perform adequately but to expect MGIII production is "idiotic" as you stated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grayson2401 said:

I am not basing his potential off of one game and mentioned this above. 

 

FWIW Dion Lewis rushed 13 times for 91 yards and caught 6 balls for another 64 yards in the same game. It was also a bad game for TEN. 

 

I am not really trying to argue because I agree with your last statement. Ekeler will perform adequately but to expect MGIII production is "idiotic" as you stated. 

 

Many teams don't need Gordon level production in order for Ekeler to be a league winner.

 

Some folks (depending on roster construction) just need that last piece on their roster to push them over the top.

 

With Gordon now likely out of the FF playoffs this guy becomes a very valuable asset.  

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

 

Many teams don't need Gordon level production in order for Ekeler to be a league winner.

 

Some folks (depending on roster construction) just need that last piece on their roster to push them over the top.

 

With Gordon now likely out of the FF playoffs this guy becomes a very valuable asset.  

 

 

No doubt. 

 

Ekeler's relative value is directly tied to whether or not you own Gordon:

 

For Gordon owners, they probably rode Gordon throughout the season and (likely) cannot afford any drop-off in production. 

 

For non-Gordon owners, yes, Ekeler can be a league winner. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.