fakespike

Austin Ekeler 2018 Outlook

Dropped Breida for Hannibal Ekeler last season and never looked back. Breakout year is coming. 

3 hours ago, rylaughlin said:

The tweet below references the first two preseason games. Gordon didn't play in either of the last two. Doesn't sound like a timeshare is brewing to me. Note I own both in the one league I'm in. 

Despite what this thread says, there really is no good indication that Ek is going to force a time share besides him looking good and being efficient with his limited rushes (47 vs 284 for Gordon). 

To people pointing at Woodhead for comparison, there was a different HC when he was in SD. Although Wiz is back as the OC, Woodheads two good seasons were in 2013 (Wiz was OC) and 2015 (Wiz was on Titans). There is no guarantee that Wiz /McCoy uses Ek as much as SD worked Woodhead, and it’s certainly not a 1:1 scenario. To add, Woodhead was already an established player at that point, Gordon was a rookie (2015) and I wouldn’t be surprised if he was just a better player than Ek overall. On top of all of this, the HC came out and said they want to give Gordon more catches this year.

Now I’m not denying some sort of break out could happen if things go right, but there’s a bit too much optimism ITT imo (granted we are on RW, home of hypetrains). I do think Ek is one of the premier cuffs, and one of the few actually worth rostering. I’ll certainly have him on my teams that I draft Gordon. 

• Like 2

Whats the verdict on this guy, San diego has a high powered offense, and the defense has lots of injuries, is going to be flex worthy,

Year after year the Chargers prove themselves to be one of the best teams for Fantasy.  GTP (garbage time production) hall of famers.

I can easily envision Hannibal Eckler as the new woodhead - who was a garbage time kingpin with Rivers.

Edited by bdsco337

2 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

Oh, sorry, I meant Indy, not Cleveland.

Nyheim Hines. Nine targets in week one, along with five carries. He was taken in the fourth round. 

Gotcha. 

I do not know enough about him. I do know that Rivers has helped produce serviceable PPR numbers to pass-catching backs in the past. They purposely bring in personnel to accommodate Rivers in this area. Gordon will still carry the load but you have to imagine they would like to (somewhat) limit his touches because they are beginning to piling up. Easy to like Ekeler's role this season. 

• Like 1

So many people seem to just say Ekeler's week was a fluke. Uhh, was he not one of the better backups all last season? Why can't he play a Sproles/Woodhead role complimentary to Melvin? 

Glad I picked this guy up just before 4 pm on Sunday. He's well worth the hold and is going to be a high-end RB2 if Gordon ever went down. How much better can you do in FA in a 12+ team league?

Danny Woodhead  Ver. 2.0.9

Edited by CABLE87

58 minutes ago, leesanity7 said:

So many people seem to just say Ekeler's week was a fluke. Uhh, was he not one of the better backups all last season? Why can't he play a Sproles/Woodhead role complimentary to Melvin? 

Glad I picked this guy up just before 4 pm on Sunday. He's well worth the hold and is going to be a high-end RB2 if Gordon ever went down. How much better can you do in FA in a 12+ team league?

So many people being the one person in this thread that asked if he was a fluke having not seen the game?

I wish I didn't drop this guy in preseason.  He will likely be an every week PPR flex. 

Of course, things might change if the game is closer, if the defense isn't playing prevent D, etc.

The Chargers are king of garbage time production.  These easy dumpoffs over the middle for 10-15 yard chunks nets him 2.5 points each time.  Rivers is awesome at doing this. 

• Like 1

Great play this week imo. They're going to demolish Buffalo and not need gordon to play

• Like 4

im 8 in waivers and really hoping i get this guy...Doesnt seem to be too much hype behind him right now. Not sure why he is being over looked but people are raving about powell.

10 hours ago, leesanity7 said:

Because the game script won't be like that every week and Rivers isn't gonna throw for 400 yards every week

46 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Because the game script won't be like that every week and Rivers isn't gonna throw for 400 yards every week

To be fair he was involved from the start of the game. I don't see them phasing him out. Sure he'll be boom it bust, but I'll start him over Cohen, Duke, etc

THis guy has some insane efficiency over the last 2 seasons. If he was 10

pounds bulkier he would be seen differently. I dont think he would be the bellcow persay if gordon went down, but if he got a usage bump from 10 to 15 touches a game he could be damn good

Beat myself up he was next pick in later round when someone snatched him up.   Hoping can land in trade as love his game

• Like 1

Can this offense support 2 RBs they way the Saints did last year?

He'd be a great Kamara to Gordon's Ingram. Both RBs feasted week 1. Ekeler's efficiency is key.

• Like 1

Starting him over my other awful options as I did week 1. Should be another solid game as they destroy the Bills.

I think you still have to decide if you are thinking to pick him up, is he better than some other runner you have?  

Chances are, you would be cutting a STARTING RB to get him. That does take FAITH. Do you have it in him to outperform a starter? 

I think he falls somewhere between Tevin Coleman and Alvin Kamara.

Decent stand alone FLEX value with the chance to be a RB1 if the starter goes down.

17 minutes ago, beerfish said:

I think he falls somewhere between Tevin Coleman and Alvin Kamara.

Decent stand alone FLEX value with the chance to be a RB1 if the starter goes down.

Intersting comparision fish....... I like it.  

Nowadays, just about every team has a time share and a second RB who comes in on third down mostly to catch passes.  If these guys could also get some tds, together with their ppr value, they could be very important. [Removed Cool Story]  I guess you could put EKELER’s name right there next to those two guys. 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story