fakespike

Austin Ekeler 2018 Outlook

caveat to my previous post, because they won't allow me to edit - Ekeler is a cat you start for the damage he can do in amassing a big lead, not for the hopes of extended garbage time once said big lead is procured. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ThunderDan said:

Startable this week based on potential for garbage time if chargers up big? 

Yes. This is an Ekeler week for me. I expect flex numbers in 1/2 PPR. He gets a lot of looks in the passing game too and could always score a TD or two like he showed last season.

The 49ers are going to be a weak offense. Could be a lot more opportunities to score for a high-powered Chargers offense. Fire up Ekeler this week.

5 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

caveat to my previous post, because they won't allow me to edit - Ekeler is a cat you start for the damage he can do in amassing a big lead, not for the hopes of extended garbage time once said big lead is procured. 

Interesting take pastor.  I wish I had your confidence that they would use him as much as you believe they will.  He still seems like a 10 touch guy to me with Gordon hogging most of the catches now too. 

1 hour ago, TennisMenace said:

Interesting take pastor.  I wish I had your confidence that they would use him as much as you believe they will.  He still seems like a 10 touch guy to me with Gordon hogging most of the catches now too. 

meh, not really what i was trying to say ... gist of my earlier posts was that Ekeler isn't gonna be in there milking clock if they're up 38-7, so that's not why you start him ... you start him because he is an explosive cog of a very potent offense ... he's not a mop up dude, he helps make the mess, so to speak. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

meh, not really what i was trying to say ... gist of my earlier posts was that Ekeler isn't gonna be in there milking clock if they're up 38-7, so that's not why you start him ... you start him because he is an explosive cog of a very potent offense ... he's not a mop up dude, he helps make the mess, so to speak. 

Ok, I got it.  But I wouldn’t mind if he is there in garbage time while milking the clock.

on a side note, It frustrates me to see Gordon get so much reward (tds) when his rushing game is not as good as Ekeler.  I will give it to Gordon, he can catch and run very well too....I wish he wasn’t as good so Ekeler could get more than he gets. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TennisMenace said:

Ok, I got it.  But I wouldn’t mind if he is there in garbage time while milking the clock.

on a side note, It frustrates me to see Gordon get so much reward (tds) when his rushing game is not as good as Ekeler.  I will give it to Gordon, he can catch and run very well too....I wish he wasn’t as good so Ekeler could get more than he gets. 

They simply have more invested in Gordon and he's proven he can take a beating of a rushing workload and be a great receiving back and do it again the next week no problem. There is less and less guys who can do it each week seemingly. Ekeler's efficiency would certainly dip with a heavy workload. He's probably being used just about the correct way at the moment. I don't think he could handle the beating Gordon gets although I will admit Gordon's carries are way down this year. I own both. I'm considering using Ekeler this week as well.

Also feeling Ekeler this week and going for it. 

I just want Gordon and Ekeler to get a more even spread but what Ekeler owner doesn't want that? The Chargers have to be aware of Ekeler's numbers in relation to Gordon's. The guy is just dynamite. 

If not this week then what week do you use him? With Garoppolo out the sky is the limit. 

22 minutes ago, Sticky2 said:

Also feeling Ekeler this week and going for it. 

I just want Gordon and Ekeler to get a more even spread but what Ekeler owner doesn't want that? The Chargers have to be aware of Ekeler's numbers in relation to Gordon's. The guy is just dynamite. 

If not this week then what week do you use him? With Garoppolo out the sky is the limit. 

Just curious, why do you think Ekeler’s production should go UP with no Jimmy G? 

I have no choice but to start both Ekeler and Gordon, so this will be fun to see

fwiw though Ekeler is the no 16 scoring RB in my PPR, Gordon is 3rd

Edited by Golden Spikes

Well, that was disappointing usage.  

Sad Ekeler isn't used more given Gordon has shown nothing more than being a solid - but far from elite - workhorse back.  Hell, Gordon has never averaged over 4 YPC in a season. 

Since Gordon can catch pretty well, I am seeing less of a Danny Woodhead role for Ekeler.  He looks more like the change of pace back to a proven bell-cow.

I suppose he's a risky flex option, but looking really more like a handcuff.  

Edited by Rainyy

2 minutes ago, Rainyy said:

Sad Ekeler isn't used more given Gordon has shown nothing more than being a solid - but far from elite - workhorse back.  Hell, Gordon has never averaged over 4 YPC in a season. 

Since Gordon can catch pretty well, I am seeing less of a Danny Woodhead role for Ekeler.  He looks more like the change of pace back to a proven bell-cow.

Id give him more credit than a handcuff, hes a solid bye week RB, woodhead lite over full woodhead because as you said gordon is catching a good amount of passes this season

4 minutes ago, Rainyy said:

He had a really solid week as an upside flex. What were you expecting? Gordon is healthy and playing well.

2 minutes ago, devaster said:

He had a really solid week as an upside flex. What were you expecting? Gordon is healthy and playing well.

I was hoping for a larger share of work, given Ekeler has been one of the most productive backs in the league.  Obviously, I am aware Gordon is going to get the lion's share of snaps.  But this week was especially disappointing for Ekeler from a usage perspective.  

Gordon has been in the picture in previous years, and guys like Woodhead have been able to carve out a larger role with a fairly high floor.  

For Ekelers LIMITED usage here are some stats to put his value into perspective:

Disclaimer - these stats are for half PPR (default Yahoo scoring for the most part).

He is (in RB standings)

• 2 points behind David Johnson
  • 12 points ahead of J. Ajayi, A. Collins, T. Cohen and D. Lewis
  • 14 points ahead of J. Howard
  • 16 points ahead of L. Miller

Just to think if he actually was used more like Woodhead how valuable this guy would be. A Gordon injury would have Ekeler owners dancing in the street.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Rainyy said:

I was hoping for a larger share of work, given Ekeler has been one of the most productive backs in the league.  Obviously, I am aware Gordon is going to get the lion's share of snaps.  But this week was especially disappointing for Ekeler from a usage perspective.  

Gordon has been in the picture in previous years, and guys like Woodhead have been able to carve out a larger role with a fairly high floor.  

Maybe he has been productive because of the limited touches though. I wasn't hoping for more without a Gordon injury though. That is foolish.

So far this season he has scored more than 10 points in 3/4 weeks in 1/2 PPR and more than 20 points 1/4 weeks. With a 6.6 point floor in 1/2 PPR. He is a valuable flex with upside.

• Like 1

A Gordon injury wouldn’t necessarily mean his role would change. In fact, I would guess that they would use someone else in Gordon’s place. Maybe Ekeler picks up more receptions and a handful more carries, but he most likely wouldn’t assume the lead back role. He’s successful in his limited role.

Throughout history, how many times have we seen a limited use back that’s thriving, fall flat on their face when thrust into feature back role?

Ekeler is perfect in his current role, although I would prefer he was targeted a bit more than he is currently. I have both Gordon and Ekeler in my big money league. I feel they both can play and put up equal numbers most weeks, if used correctly. Removing Gordon, I do not think would return favorable results that many anticipate, for Ekeler. 

Most coaches now seem intent on using multiple backs. Ekeler would most likely retain his role as coaches bring in another back to take over for Gordon. Just the way I have seen things happen numerous times, and been bummed cuz I thought I had the ultimate handcuff, to find out the handcuff’s role wasn’t going to change, or they sucked in a feature role. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/29/2018 at 7:15 PM, TennisMenace said:

Just curious, why do you think Ekeler’s production should go UP with no Jimmy G? 

Well the way I saw it playing out was the Chargers having the ball often due to a stalled 49ers offense.

The 49ers went up quick and that changed things.

Fortunately Ekeler saved his day with a TD. 

Relying on him every week doesn't seem possible at this point.

2 minutes ago, Sticky2 said:

Well the way I saw it playing out was the Chargers having the ball often due to a stalled 49ers offense.

The 49ers went up quick and that changed things.

Fortunately Ekeler saved his day with a TD. 

Relying on him every week doesn't seem possible at this point.

Yeah, without the td, I’m bummed. I may have to cut him to fill the spot with somebody who may have a better chance to start because I’m getting tired of waiting for Gordon to get hurt. 

7 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

Anybody else cutting ties with Ekeler?  

No. Why? I think he is a valuable flex any given week with upside. Especially in PPR leagues.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

Anybody else cutting ties with Ekeler?  

Nope. In ppr he's done very well as a Flex and has scored more than bigger named starting RBs who were drafted higher. Using him this week as a bye week fill in. Plus the WW for RBs is all but nonexistent outside of Hines and Davis who will be scooped up by tomorrow. 

29 minutes ago, Guwop said:

Nope. In ppr he's done very well as a Flex and has scored more than bigger named starting RBs who were drafted higher. Using him this week as a bye week fill in. Plus the WW for RBs is all but nonexistent outside of Hines and Davis who will be scooped up by tomorrow. 

This. Ekeler is one of the best handcuffs around and should be owned in basically all formats.

Edited by TrueToTheBlue
  • Like 3

So far this season, Gordon & Ekeler are on pace to score more points per game (40.9) than Kamara & Ingram scored last season (37.4) in PPR.

I'm not saying...I'm just saying.

51 minutes ago, devaster said:

First Cohen shouldn't be available. Second... those first two must be a joke,

Many people dropped Cohen before last week, given Howard's increased receiving usage (still hasn't dropped a pass all season) and how bad Trubisky had been. Easy to say now that he shouldn't have been dropped.

Might risk starting him but Gordon has been really good this season and might limit his usage.