fakespike

Austin Ekeler 2018 Outlook

Historically the Chargers have been bad when coming to the east coast and playing and early game.  Now they're playing even earlier.  Basically 6am their local time.

Anybody concerned about the gametime?  How have the super early games been in general? For the most part it seems like one team gets blown out.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Ekeler very likely is an RB1 in games where Gordon is out. He doesn’t need to be near Gordon’s workload to achieve such a status.

Granted but we shouldn't expect the exact same load like some folks will. Now if Gordon remains out it helps immensely but I'm not getting super excited until more news comes out

I think the shark move is to flip Ekeler to the Gordon owner tonight to upgrade elsewhere.

With the bye coming up next week Gordon likely isn't going to miss much time. And even if he does its hard to imagine the coaching staff giving and/or Ekeler physically holding up to a full workload. 

3 minutes ago, pjbyrne707 said:

I think the shark move is to flip Ekeler to the Gordon owner tonight to upgrade elsewhere.

With the bye coming up next week Gordon likely isn't going to miss much time. And even if he does its hard to imagine the coaching staff giving and/or Ekeler physically holding up to a full workload. 

Definitely something to explore but for the exact reason you recommend doing it is unlikely you get anything significant. While BMI isn't the greatest indicator of durability, Ekeler's is actually higher than Gordon's (although Gordon's is pretty low and Ekeler is only 30th percentile) and he doesn't have any significant injury history. 

1 hour ago, RustyMiller said:

Historically the Chargers have been bad when coming to the east coast and playing and early game.  Now they're playing even earlier.  Basically 6am their local time.

Anybody concerned about the gametime?  How have the super early games been in general? For the most part it seems like one team gets blown out.

They played just fine in buffalo and Cleveland this year. Blew the doors right off of them. I’m not concerned with them not traveling well anymore. They’ve put that to bed this year IMO.

i can see a big game from ekeler if this massive o-line wears down this defense as the game goes on. It’s possible with rivers at the helm.

im counting on at least 10 0.5 ppr points from ekeler tomorrow. Maybe a td. Matchup is tough but chargers o-line as good as any.

3 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

They played just fine in buffalo and Cleveland this year. Blew the doors right off of them. I’m not concerned with them not traveling well anymore. They’ve put that to bed this year IMO.

i can see a big game from ekeler if this massive o-line wears down this defense as the game goes on. It’s possible with rivers at the helm.

im counting on at least 10 0.5 ppr points from ekeler tomorrow. Maybe a td. Matchup is tough but chargers o-line as good as any.

PFF currently has their line ranked as 20th

Just now, BMcP said:

PFF currently has their line ranked as 20th

Pretty amazing the results they’re getting out of their offense then. I’d need to see more data, but they’ve been getting really efficient results this year. 

Just now, PlayTheWaivers said:

Pretty amazing the results they’re getting out of their offense then. I’d need to see more data, but they’ve been getting really efficient results this year. 

Yep - Rivers is basically tops in the league at getting the ball out under pressure

Very smart move by the Chargers if they sit Gordon. Very winnable game against Titans and then their bye week. Can rest their stud RB for 2-3 weeks and have him ready to roll for 2nd half.

Ekeler is going to feast 100 plus total yds and TD tomorrow

Fire him up in daily leagues guys!

Edited by fantasymad

22 minutes ago, Proteus said:

Outlook ROS?

Short-term:  I think there's a very strong chance Gordon is ruled out.  Ekeler is thus a low-end RB1 for tomorrow's game.  He's shown immense productivity on a good offense; the usage will be there to take advantage.  

Long-term:  He's a low-end RB3.  Should be an OK - but potentially risky - flex for teams with RBs on byes, teams lower in the standings, and teams in deeper leagues.  I personally have no interest in starting Ekeler on the touches he has seen the last ~3 weeks.  

Ekeler remains an elite handcuff - probably the best in the game - so he should be universally owned, except in shallow leagues or leagues with short benches. 

I am on the view that Gordon's hamstring injury is not going to have a huge impact on Ekeler's ROS value, outside of tomorrow's game.  Chargers have a bye next week.  I think Gordon gets plenty of rest and comes back close to 100%.  Of course this is speculation at this point, but I have no choice but to go off of the positive assurances of the coaching staff.  I suppose there's a possibility later in the year that the Chargers limit Gordon's carries to keep him fresh for the postseason.  But, before Gordon's most recent injury, Ekeler's touches were trending in the wrong direction.   

Edited by Rainyy
  • Thanks 1

So if Gordon is out, should we expect Ekeler to be the 3 down back getting almost all the touches? I don’t know anything about the other RB that they recently activated. Can he steal many touches? I expect Keenan Allen will get a few designed play backfield touches. 

But can Ekeler be fired up as pretty much a 3 down back for this game? Or are they going to limit his touches?

1 minute ago, ff062018 said:

So if Gordon is out, should we expect Ekeler to be the 3 down back getting almost all the touches? I don’t know anything about the other RB that they recently activated. Can he steal many touches? I expect Keenan Allen will get a few designed play backfield touches. 

But can Ekeler be fired up as pretty much a 3 down back for this game? Or are they going to limit his touches?

Hard to say. I know nothing about these RB's behind MG and Ekeler. And FWIW, RW has updated their RB rankings assuming MG sits.

This certainly suggests that there is a real chance that Gordon, who is in the middle of the best season of his career, could very well not suit up on Sunday in London. With their bye week just around the corner and what a pivotal role Gordon plays in the 2018 Chargers offense, it is not hard to picture a scenario where it makes sense for them to play things safe and feature the likes of Austin Ekeler (PFF’s #1 running back) and Justin Jackson (whom the team liked well enough to draft this year) instead of rushing their star runner back from his injury.

Newsome and Jackson lack the elite level talent of Gordon and Ekeler lacks the size to hold up to a feature back role, but they should be able to get through one game if it means keeping Gordon healthy down the stretch.

Running Backs 

Rank Player Name Opponent Notes
1 Todd Gurley at SF -
2 Saquon Barkley at ATL -
3 Ezekiel Elliott at WAS -
4 Kareem Hunt vs. CIN -
5 Joe Mixon at KC -
6 David Johnson vs. DEN -
7 Alvin Kamara at BAL -
8 Christian McCaffrey at PHI -
9 Sony Michel at CHI Questionable (knee)
10 Austin Ekeler vs. TEN -
11 Nick Chubb at TB -
12 Latavius Murray at NYJ -
13 James White at CHI -
14 Adrian Peterson vs. DAL Questionable (ankle)
15 Kerryon Johnson at MIA

Gordon is inactive. I own both Gordon and Ekeler, so plugging in Ekeler.  But I’m pretty concerned that Ekeler doesn’t actually get a huge increase in touches. I think Justin Jackson and Keenan Allen share quite a few touches. 

But we can hope. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ff062018 said:

Gordon is inactive. I own both Gordon and Ekeler, so plugging in Ekeler.  But I’m pretty concerned that Ekeler doesn’t actually get a huge increase in touches. I think Justin Jackson and Keenan Allen share quite a few touches. 

But we can hope. 

This. It's Ekeler vs clement for me but I'm worried that rivers just airs it out and Allen benefits more than anyone

5 minutes ago, Guwop said:

This. It's Ekeler vs clement for me but I'm worried that rivers just airs it out and Allen benefits more than anyone

Kerryon or Ekeler for me. But frankly if Ekeler doesn’t get the bulk of the carries in a last second deactivation of Gordon and activation of a practice squad RB, what’s even the point of rostering Ekeler? I only had him as a handcuff for Gordon. If he doesn’t get the touches today, he certainly wouldn’t over the long-term (even if Gordon is out long-term) because they’d just continue to work other players into the game plan more. 

Either Ekeler is a surefire starter today, or why even roster him if he’s purely a scat back even when the starter goes down?

Edited by ff062018
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, ff062018 said:

But frankly if Ekeler doesn’t get the bulk of the carries in a last second deactivation of Gordon and activation of a practice squad RB, what’s even the point of rostering Ekeler? 

this.

8 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

If you’re thinking of sitting Ekeler today then your other options must be totally ridiculous. He is a must start.

The other options are Breida/Ingram...