JFS179

Mar/April Closer Thread 2018

Kenyan blew one against the Yankees up 3-2. It wasn't horrible, he just started off with a walk to Sanchez and then Adujar ripped a double. They then intentionally loaded the bases and Gardner hit a sack fly. He got out of it after that and left the inning tied up at 3-3. I am hoping the Angels walk it off here so it doesn't seem to hurt as much. I still don't think it will move the needle much, I think he has some decent leash right now. But not a great outing either.

Edited by exzacly909
  • Like 1

Middleton blew the save. Walked Sanchez. Andujar ripped a double. Intentionally walked Torres. Sack fly by Gardner. 

2 hours ago, duke of queens said:

He did not look good though. Very hittable

Never has looked good.  Ham and egg closer.

Strickland with the save. He has looked pretty good this season. 9+ K/9, 2.45 BB/9, and a 0.82 HR/9. His LOB% will surely come down a bit, but his FIP currently sits at 3.18. Not too bad.

Just now, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Strickland with the save. He has looked pretty good this season. 9+ K/9, 2.45 BB/9, and a 0.82 HR/9. His LOB% will surely come down a bit, but his FIP currently sits at 3.18. Not too bad.

Looked great tonight.  He has developed, and is using, more offspeed movement and pitches.  He is no longer just relying on trying to fireball everyone.

19 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

Looked great tonight.  He has developed, and is using, more offspeed movement and pitches.  He is no longer just relying on trying to fireball everyone.

This. 

1 hour ago, exzacly909 said:

Kenyan blew one against the Yankees up 3-2. It wasn't horrible, he just started off with a walk to Sanchez and then Adujar ripped a double. They then intentionally loaded the bases and Gardner hit a sack fly. He got out of it after that and left the inning tied up at 3-3. I am hoping the Angels walk it off here so it doesn't seem to hurt as much. I still don't think it will move the needle much, I think he has some decent leash right now. But not a great outing either.

You can't walk the leadoff hitter.   That's just a huge no no. 

• Like 1

Just now, 96mnc said:

Agreed. Never really ideal. At the time I didn't think it was the worst thing in the world. He walked Sanchez in a 1 run game, to face then face the bottom of lineup (Walker, Andujar, Torres). 

Bedrosian hasn't given up a run in his last 5 outings and the stuff has looked better. Again, I still don't think this makes a huge swing. But Kenyan also doesn't have a track record in the role by any means. I am an owner/fan of Kenyan for sure. But I am in a league deep enough to speculate on Bedrosian again here too already. 

Parker came on in the 10th and promptly gave up a run so at least he won't sneak up on Middleton because of this. 

20 minutes ago, kittenmittons said:

Parker came on in the 10th and promptly gave up a run so at least he won't sneak up on Middleton because of this. 

I think Bedrosian is the guy to watch

• Like 1

The holland thing is like some cosmic troll to people who added him (like me), but hopefully just a bump in the road for him, the latest of many bumps. 

It’s funny he was nibbling last night bc his dominant inning the day before was attack attack attack. Hopefully this was some 9th inning yips and emotions running high. Whether he gets the chances coming up is a fair question though. 

9 hours ago, exzacly909 said:

Agreed. Never really ideal. At the time I didn't think it was the worst thing in the world. He walked Sanchez in a 1 run game, to face then face the bottom of lineup (Walker, Andujar, Torres). 

Bedrosian hasn't given up a run in his last 5 outings and the stuff has looked better. Again, I still don't think this makes a huge swing. But Kenyan also doesn't have a track record in the role by any means. I am an owner/fan of Kenyan for sure. But I am in a league deep enough to speculate on Bedrosian again here too already. 

Keynan

• Like 1

Corey Knebel (hamstring) remains on track for a return to the Brewers in early-to-mid May. 
src: Tom Haudricourt

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 96mnc said:

i would rather walk Gary than let him hit a bomb off me 

As usual bc I’m neurotic I watched and transcribed mathenys presser to read the tea leaves. Seems like Norris still 8th inning guy and holland still the closer, but there is some vaguery to what he said if he meant no question Holland is the guy or no question they have to keep evaluating. In context I think it’s the first one.

Matheny: Yea that um was not how he wants it to go, but he did get a ground ball, would like to make a play behind him a great play gets us 2 outs there but um you know he’s been in those situations like all our guys have and you gotta figure out a way to pick your teammates up and get through it, and it kind of just snowballed. 

Reporter: blown save opportunity, where do you think he is right now or are you still gonna look at that and try to figure it out?

Matheny: No I mean there’s no question... we are just gonna have to keep watching each day and um, bud came in and did a great job and he’s been doing a good job in that situation- it might just take a little more time.

18 minutes ago, cdd10 said:

i would rather walk Gary than let him hit a bomb off me 

Math would support the following statement - the odds of Sanchez hitting a homerun are lower than of his scoring via leadoff walk. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, absknicks said:

I think Bedrosian is the guy to watch

How is his velocity??  I thought I read it was down a bit 

Cardinals are going to blow a lot more saves till the ASB and then make a guy like Hicks closer.  Norris maybe the long term 8th inning guy here though and those in Hold leagues should absolutely keep him. I also anticipate Gregerson to be given a shot at some point, i just dont see Holland being effective this year. 

14 minutes ago, screaming_vultures said:

Cardinals are going to blow a lot more saves till the ASB and then make a guy like Hicks closer.  Norris maybe the long term 8th inning guy here though and those in Hold leagues should absolutely keep him. I also anticipate Gregerson to be given a shot at some point, i just dont see Holland being effective this year. 

Hicks doesn’t have swing and miss stuff. He’s throws 102 mph but doesn’t strike guys out like you think he would. I’d be surprised if cards used him as a closer. Norris should be the closer til Holland figures his s--- out. Which he may never do who knows.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Helms said:

Hicks doesn’t have swing and miss stuff. He’s throws 102 mph but doesn’t strike guys out like you think he would. I’d be surprised if cards used him as a closer. Norris should be the closer til Holland figures his s--- out. Which he may never do who knows.

I dont know, i think we will know more in the coming weeks but the cardinals right now are hell bent on using Holland instead of taking the sunk cost. 

4 minutes ago, screaming_vultures said:

I dont know, i think we will know more in the coming weeks but the cardinals right now are hell bent on using Holland instead of taking the sunk cost. 

I would assume they are hoping he works himself into some sort of trade value before July. If they can sign a guy for $14million and flip him for a decent prospect or two, why not ?

Edited by aMediumPace

Why wouldn't they use Holland?  If you want to argue that he needs to be babied a bit, cool but Holland will be the long term closer.

Just now, thefamily79 said:

Why wouldn't they use Holland?  If you want to argue that he needs to be babied a bit, cool but Holland will be the long term closer.

Because he's getting wacked around pretty good. FRodney is the only major league closer who can get away with that. Well maybe Ziegler too...

• Like 1