JFS179

Mar/April Closer Thread 2018

Recommended Posts

This thread is better for closers than closer monkey because it is real time and has dozens of opinions and perspectives that help in formulating decisions.

 

That said, closermonkey is probably the best for what it is.  Yes, they are wrong sometimes. So am I, so are you. If someone knows of a better and more accurate single site for closers by all means, please share.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Maybe, but that was a pretty ominous start. If I had the luxury of starting Norris and benching Holland I would do that for now.

 

They gave Holland 14 million dollars for a year, gave up draft picks for him, then rushed him into the closers role. Maybe they go to Norris if there's an opp today, but Holland probably has a top 5 or so leash amongst closers.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget Alex Reyes rehabbing . No spot in the rotation . They could give him a shot at closing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, oswald737 said:

 

They gave Holland 14 million dollars for a year, gave up draft picks for him, then rushed him into the closers role. Maybe they go to Norris if there's an opp today, but Holland probably has a top 5 or so leash amongst closers.

I’m not saying he’s going to lose job. His performance may not be worth it or survive a lead in the near term. That’s my point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, motown magic said:

Don't forget Alex Reyes rehabbing . No spot in the rotation . They could give him a shot at closing 

 

He's on the 60 day DL. So much will happen between now and June. If he's not in the rotation, I bet they'd be waaay more inclined to use Reyes in a Hader/Miller/Bradley multi-inning role than strictly close. I mean, its possible... but thats like 2 of these threads away from a conversation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

the useless posts in this thread can get really out of control. my last post was the 1st post on page 48, 16 hours ago. now this is on page 56. if you're not active regular throughout the day it can be overwhelming trying to find the actual useful closer news and information. this shouldn't be a game thread.

 

 

 

http://rotoprofessor.com/baseball/?p=35517

 

 

I agree owning any of those five closers in waiting are ones I would like to add at this moment. 

Out of those 5 closers (Soria, Ziegler, Rodney, Giles or Vizcaino) who do you believe is in more trouble at this given moment to lose the job? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

the useless posts in this thread can get really out of control. my last post was the 1st post on page 48, 16 hours ago. now this is on page 56. if you're not active regular throughout the day it can be overwhelming trying to find the actual useful closer news and information. this shouldn't be a game thread.

 

 

 

http://rotoprofessor.com/baseball/?p=35517

 

 

When I fall behind a lot I just scan each page for posts with likes or ones that are pretty long. It's not ideal but it's a lot easier than reading every comment that might be fun in the moment but is pretty meaningless overall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

I agree owning any of those five closers in waiting are ones I would like to add at this moment. 

Out of those 5 closers (Soria, Ziegler, Rodney, Giles or Vizcaino) who do you believe is in more trouble at this given moment to lose the job? 

 

My sneaky two picks are

 

Peacock

Barraclaw 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Giles is in danger of losing 'the job' but definitely some opps because Peacock and Devenski can go multiple innings. With the Astros winning 95-105 games I'm not really sure how concerning that is ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yea as a giles owner im not too worried, yea he may lose some opps but theyre gonna win so much its fine

 

and peacock was already rostered in many leagues for his ratios and k's so the astros situation i think isnt all that interesting to follow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Stein said:

I don't think Giles is in danger of losing 'the job' but definitely some opps because Peacock and Devenski can go multiple innings. With the Astros winning 95-105 games I'm not really sure how concerning that is ....

I think the take away is that his ceiling is 30 saves. If Devinski or Peacock is cruising and Giles just pitched they will likely let those guys clean those opps up.

Edited by Magoo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

yea as a giles owner im not too worried, yea he may lose some opps but theyre gonna win so much its fine

 

and peacock was already rostered in many leagues for his ratios and k's so the astros situation i think isnt all that interesting to follow

 

As a former Giles owner ( at least 3 years) I was always a bit worried.  He is a very hot and cold reliever who has had more than his share of difficulties since arriving in Houston.  When he is on (for about half the year) he seems untouchable. However, I feel he has yet to sustain enough consistency to not feel extremely uncomfortable anytime he gets the ball.  

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

 

As a former Giles owner ( at least 3 years) I was always a bit worried.  He is a very hot and cold reliever who has had more than his share of difficulties since arriving in Houston.  When he is on (for about half the year) he seems untouchable. However, I feel he has yet to sustain enough consistency to feel anything but extremely uncomfortable anytime he gets the ball.  

 

Edited by knuckleheads

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, WahooManiac said:

Lol the CM guys come here for info.  And routinely steal quotes right off this board.  

 

This is 100% correct.  I've seen exact quotes from this board on Closer Monkey and on the blurbs on RW.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WahooManiac said:

Hey sorry,  that came off more jerk than i meant it to be.  But seriously,  I've seen direct quotes from posters on here show up on that site next day.  They do a good job,  but nothing is quicker than here for info.  You just have to wade thru the pond in here a little more

 

Public Service Announcement

Just a reminder for all -- clicking on the red dot/star next to the thread will take you to the last post you read, allowing you to consume all the new information without having to guess which page you last read.  

 

Read the posts ... skim through the play by play and jokes if you want, sift the wheat from the chaff. 

 

Do the work.  Fortune favors the bold, not the lazy.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Multiple sites have Philadelphia as a committee.  Someone explain to me how this is the case?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wxmilkman said:

I did not read through this thread. I was hoping to enlighten people who have not heard of Closer Monkey. 

 

You did not read through this thread but yet you're confident in information that people provide here being illegitimate? :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Multiple sites have Philadelphia as a committee.  Someone explain to me how this is the case?

Kapler's preseason quotes, Kapler's usage of him, Kapler's Kraziness, and that first appearance.  There may be many dudes, but only one Neris.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Kapler's preseason quotes, Kapler's usage of him, Kapler's Kraziness, and that first appearance.  There may be many dudes, but only one Neris.

 

Dont know how much is preseason quotes mean now.  Neris has only pitched the 9th:  seems like Oakland is more of a committ than phille is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

 

Dont know how much is preseason quotes mean now.  Neris has only pitched the 9th:  seems like Oakland is more of a committ than phille is

I definitely wouldn't say that.  Treinen is clearly the closer with multiple inning upside.  I agree with you re: Neris being the closer - I just think without a definitive statement from Kapler and Kapler's nature (probably an unsupported assumption he will have a quick hook) and prognosticators are hedging.

Edited by Magoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

 

Public Service Announcement

Just a reminder for all -- clicking on the red dot/star next to the thread will take you to the last post you read, allowing you to consume all the new information without having to guess which page you last read.  

 

Read the posts ... skim through the play by play and jokes if you want, sift the wheat from the chaff. 

 

Do the work.  Fortune favors the bold, not the lazy.

It would be nice to eliminate the play by play commentary,  sometimes it's pitch by pitch,  until after the pitcher is finished.

It would make for a better thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Magoo said:

I definitely wouldn't say that.  Treinen is clearly the closer with multiple inning upside.  I agree with you re: Neris being the closer - I just think without a definitive statement from Kapler and Kapler's nature (probably an unsupported assumption he will have a quick hook) and prognosticators are hedging.

I don't think there was any doubt of Neris' role last night. Phillies took the lead and Neris came out in the ninth.

 

This Kapler thing is a bit overblown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.