JFS179

Mar/April Closer Thread 2018

5 hours ago, wxmilkman said:

I see it is frowned upon to mention the RP resource called Closer Monkey. My bad folks! Stream on fellas!

No it isn't.  I'm glad you did post it.  Because there are always more people viewing this thread than old timers posting away in it and it is always good that people new to fantasy baseball know about Closer Monkey.

Welcome to the boards and don't let the kind of smug tone of a couple of the posts scare you away.  Because this thread is far from perfect as well.  For every right and ahead of the crowd call you get here you get a bunch of wrong calls as well.  If you picked up everyone here that every person is touting you'd have nothing left of your team than a roster full of relievers with no room left for outfielders, infielders and starters, hah.

An analogy.  This site is where gold prospectors go to try and sift through the silt and find that next nugget.  The result is some gold and a lot of fools gold.  Your ability at sifting to find the real gold is your job here as opposed to just reading about how the gold sifting went the next day at Closer Monkey say. 

Here you can waste a move picking up the wrong guy based on a couple of people touting him here big time or you could run ahead of the crowd and stake your claim to the same goldfield ahead of your league mates.  It's more pro active and, in leagues like H2H ones, you can risk using up your weekly moves.  But in a roto format with unlimited moves and a big roster with plenty of empty slots this place is a (cough) gold mine.

Also are you a wild west gambler or a cautious slow and steady person when it comes to closers.  And how your leagues act in general (fast or slow).  Lots of factors figure into this.

In other words no site has it all.  Combine this early bird site with a site like Closer Monkey and slowly learn who is pretty good at ferreting out new closers in this thread and it becomes win-win.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stein said:

I don't think there was any doubt of Neris' role last night. Phillies took the lead and Neris came out in the ninth.

This Kapler thing is a bit overblown.

I agree.  I was addressing the question of why multiple sites still have it listed as a committee.

I was saying if you're going to say Phille is a CBC, then Oakland may as well be too.  Treinen has been deployed in the 7th and 8th innings.  Neris solely in the 9th.  Fwiw, I think both are solidified as "the guy".  

9 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

I was saying if you're going to say Phille is a CBC, then Oakland may as well be too.  Treinen has been deployed in the 7th and 8th innings.  Neris solely in the 9th.  Fwiw, I think both are solidified as "the guy".  

This is somewhat semantic, but there's a difference in gleaning a possible committee from which IP versus a manager's mercurial nature.  Treinen was deployed to get the last out in the 7th in a critical juncture when he'd already been used to get a two inning save on multiple occasions.  

Neris blew it in a non-save situation on the same day Kapler refused to name him.  That left an impression that may have dissipated with last night's save, but of course time will tell.

Edited by Magoo

Other observations outside of Cards, Angels, Rays, Brewers which have been bludgeoned here...

Joe Jimenez has quietly snuck in a high leverage role in Detroit.  If you don't believe in Greene, maybe Joe has finally figured it out.

Speaking of figuring it out, our old friend Bruce Rondon struck out all 4 batters he faced the other day.  He now pitches for the White Sox.  Those who want to take a risk or enjoy punishment may take a lotto ticket on him.  

Claudio was clobbered again last night.  He's toast.

Tommy Hunter will return soon.  The Phillies paid a lot of money for him.  

Don't care what other sites say, Adam Ottavino is NIL in Colorado.  

Ziegler and Rodney have had one bad appearance.  May be a little early to stick forks in them.  

I think Hirano is NIL in Arizona, not Bradley. 

• Like 8

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but the Pirates have a new closer.. well in name.

Felipe Rivero to Felipe Vazquez.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Other observations outside of Cards, Angels, Rays, Brewers which have been bludgeoned here...

Joe Jimenez has quietly snuck in a high leverage role in Detroit.  If you don't believe in Greene, maybe Joe has finally figured it out.

Speaking of figuring it out, our old friend Bruce Rondon struck out all 4 batters he faced the other day.  He now pitches for the White Sox.  Those who want to take a risk or enjoy punishment may take a lotto ticket on him.  

Claudio was clobbered again last night.  He's toast.

Tommy Hunter will return soon.  The Phillies paid a lot of money for him.  

Don't care what other sites say, Adam Ottavino is NIL in Colorado.  

Ziegler and Rodney have had one bad appearance.  May be a little early to stick forks in them.  

I think Hirano is NIL in Arizona, not Bradley. 

Great post. I'd add that Joe Jimenez while obviously the closer of the future likely won't find himself in the role until the trade deadline at the earliest, and possibly not this season at all. Greene has looked great so far and Detroit likely wants to move him at the deadline, to taking him out of the closer role before then makes little sense. I also doubt they want to inflate the arbitration value of Jimenez so soon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

My sneaky two picks are

Peacock

Barraclaw 

Most valuable second chair relievers currently (imo) are:

Drew Steckenrider: been used more recently in a primary setup role than Barraclough.  Stuff is arguably better than KB as well.  Surprised Ziegler kept the job this long tbh

Tommy Hunter: Nasty cutter and K more than a batter an inning last year.  Kepler seems hesitant committing Neris all the save ops, and Hunter's contract (2 yr/18 million) implies that the Phillies like what they see in him

Sergio Romo/Jose Alvarado: Romo has been good of late...missing plenty of bats (8k; 4 ip)...Alvarado has the best stuff in that pen...Colome is on his way out, either by demotion or trade, sooner rather than later 

A.J. Minter: Not missing as many bats  (or any) as we'd hoped, but not issuing free passes as often as Arodys.  Still has yet to allow an earned run

Addison Reed:  Anyone pitching in front of the 41 year old Rodney would be on this list and Reed is more than a suitable replacement

Nate Jones: Soria is only a bandaid at this point.  If her performs well, the White Sox will likely ship him out on/before the trade deadline to a team looking for bullpen arms.  Same could be said for Jones, though his contract makes him more likely to remain

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, F@ndemonium said:

Drew Steckenrider: been used more recently in a primary setup role than Barraclough.  Stuff is arguably better than KB as well.  Surprised Ziegler kept the job this long tbh

Tommy Hunter: Nasty cutter and K more than a batter an inning last year.  Kepler seems hesitant committing Neris all the save ops, and Hunter's contract (2 yr/18 million) implies that the Phillies like what they see in him

Sergio Romo/Jose Alvarado: Romo has been good of late...missing plenty of bats (8k; 4 ip)...Alvarado has the best stuff in that pen...Colome is on his way out, either by demotion or trade, sooner rather than later 

A.J. Minter: Not missing as many bats  (or any) as we'd hoped, but not issuing free passes as often as Arodys.  Still has yet to allow an earned run

Addison Reed:  Anyone pitching in front of the 41 year old Rodney would be on this list and Reed is more than a suitable replacement

Nate Jones: Soria is only a bandaid at this point.  If her performs well, the White Sox will likely ship him out on/before the trade deadline to a team looking for bullpen arms.  Same could be said for Jones, though his contract makes him more likely to remain

Great post.  I'd only add that Romo's slider has better depth this year than I've seen in a while.  Clear handcuff imo for all the typical reasons.

18 minutes ago, F@ndemonium said:

How long is Hunter out for

2 minutes ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

How long is Hunter out for

Read he'll be back Saturday. Just scooped him up.*

*as a Neris owner.

Edited by Stein

22 minutes ago, F@ndemonium said:

Add Adam Ottavina to that list, with his K potential and occasional win/saves he has stand alone value now and would be a top 10 closer if he got the gig to himself.

55 minutes ago, PremiumPlus said:

Great post. I'd add that Joe Jimenez while obviously the closer of the future likely won't find himself in the role until the trade deadline at the earliest, and possibly not this season at all. Greene has looked great so far and Detroit likely wants to move him at the deadline, to taking him out of the closer role before then makes little sense. I also doubt they want to inflate the arbitration value of Jimenez so soon.

This is the factor I have in mind. But if Greene falters and loses the role/trade value before the trade deadline, what choice do they have? If they move Jiminez into the role, he has upside/youth/cheap contract, couldn't he become the guy they flip at the deadline instead? He would have to be really good for the value they comp to be worth a trade, but will Jiminez really be a part of the next competitive tigers team if they hold him? I could see it going either way, just a thought. Turning high leverage relievers into trade value is one of the easiest/most efficient ways for rebuilding teams to accumulate talent. Have to assume somethings going to give in both Det and Tampa. Colome/Alvarado are the same exact situation as Greene/Jiminez.

Tigers have already shown willingness with Justin Wilson trade. The Yankee's solidified this trend with how quickly they were able to rebuild just by moving two relievers. 

Edited by loro1991

I doubt Jimenez ever closes for the Tigers . If he does get the job he'll lose it just as fast as he got it . 

5 hours ago, shakestreet said:

Searching For Saves: Could A Sleeper For Saves Emerge Amid Colome’s Struggles?

by Eric Stashin (aka The Rotoprofessor)

It’s been a terrible start for the Rays’ Alex Colome, having blown saves in back-to-back appearances (totaling 4 ER on 7 H and 2 BB over 1.1 IP) before nearly blowing another save yesterday.  If the Rays had an obvious next up option there would already be speculation about a change, regardless of how successful Colome has been the past few years…  Or is there someone who can step in and fill the role, if needed?  Let’s take a look at the options:

Sergio Romo
He’s a veteran who has closed out games before (he’s had as many as 38 saves in a season), so most people are assuming that he’ll get the job if the Rays are forced to make a change.  It would make sense, though he’s also 35-years old and isn’t your “prototypical” closer as he’s not a hard thrower who has seen his velocity dip even more over his first few outings:

• Fourseam – 86.69 mph in ’17, 85.06 in ‘18
  • Sinker – 86.17 mph in ’17, 84.91 in ‘18

Obviously it’s just a handful of appearances, but that decline coupled with a regression in his control (3.07 BB/9 in ’17, 3 BB in 3.0 IP this season) and the potential for home run issues (38.6% career groundball rate) and it’s easy to imagine him struggling before long.

Jose Alvarado
Many people are thinking to themselves, who?  Over 29.2 innings in the Majors last season he flashed all three skills we look for from a pitcher:

• Strikeouts – 8.80 K/9
  • Control – 2.73 BB/9
  • Groundballs – 53.7%

He’s carried that into his first five appearances of ’18 (5.0 IP through Sunday) with a 9.00 K/9, 1.80 BB/9 and 83.3% groundball rate, so when coupled with his time in the Majors in ’17 the sample size is starting to get larger and larger.

Armed with a big fastball (he’s averaged 98.3 mph in the Majors) and a swing and miss slider (29.41% Whiff% in ’17, 21.43% in ’18) and what’s not to like?  He did have control issues in the minors (6.0 BB/9 for his career), but he’s also just 22-years old so it’s easy to envision him having figured something out.  Throw in a minor league career 2.04 GO/AO and the total package is there.

Alvarado has the potential to quickly gain some traction and if Colome continues to struggle will emerge as a hot addition before long.  For now consider him the closer of the future, but the future may come sooner than we think (even if it’s a trade of Colome at some point).

16 hours ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

You'd think Colome will still get the next save opp even after his shaky appearance today, right?

Bump this

4 minutes ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

Bump this

I can't imagine they'd make a change at this point. He should get the next chance, and the one after, and so forth assuming he's not getting a day off or traded. 

He's definitely someone to monitor and could blow it, but he still has rope to burn before that becomes a reality. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the Rays deal Romo at some point, probably much closer to the deadline. Flip him for a spec. Colome is another prime trade candidate, assuming he can show teams a reason to want him....

Edited by rdf8585

19 minutes ago, rdf8585 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Rays deal Romo at some point, probably much closer to the deadline. Flip him for a spec. Colome is another prime trade candidate, assuming he can show teams a reason to want him....

No one, and I mean no one, will trade for Romo. 

• Like 2

Romo would have to be a really desperate, low leverage option if a contender was trading for him. 

But I guess never say never. Jays traded for the corpse of Latroy Hawkins a couple years ago (not that it turned out well at all).  

Edited by handyandy86
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but the Pirates have a new closer.. well in name.

Felipe Rivero to Felipe Vazquez.

I was wondering who that was that got 4 saves before Felipe Rivero

Will Yahoo! split Rivero into two separate players now?

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, AnonymousRob said:

I can't imagine they'd make a change at this point. He should get the next chance, and the one after, and so forth assuming he's not getting a day off or traded. 

He's definitely someone to monitor and could blow it, but he still has rope to burn before that becomes a reality. 

His rope got shorter today, but still think the job is his. Ugly outing. 

Just now, TheNephilim said:

Colome in and gives up Abreu HR and a walk LOL

He did lower his ERA to a little north of 11.00.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3