JFS179

Mar/April Closer Thread 2018

I just added Minter after watching Viz blow that one (we can add a player as the game is still being played as long as the player being dropped has not started his game yet). I do think we'll have to see Vizcaino blow a few more before there is a move made but it's better to be ahead of the curve.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 9703 said:

HR aside, Hader is nasty.

I wasn't able to watch, do you think they would have left him in if not for the HR?

3 minutes ago, loro1991 said:

I wasn't able to watch, do you think they would have left him in if not for the HR?

Maybe, but Albers was already warming and they may have been leaving him in to get Carp.

I think they want one closer and Albers looks to be it (for now).

Edited by Magoo
  • Thanks 1

No one has mentioned this yet, but part of the blame for the Brewers mess is Counsell constantly trying to stretch these guys to a 2nd inning.  Last night, Barnes doesn't enter until there's a runner on 2nd because Counsell leaves the guy in after the 8th.  Today he leaves in Hader for a 2nd inning, which starts off poorly.

Just let the bullpen dudes pitch an inning like they're used to, starting with a clean frame.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

No one has mentioned this yet, but part of the blame for the Brewers mess is Counsell constantly trying to stretch these guys to a 2nd inning.  Last night, Barnes doesn't enter until there's a runner on 2nd because Counsell leaves the guy in after the 8th.  Today he leaves in Hader for a 2nd inning, which starts off poorly.

Just let the bullpen dudes pitch an inning like they're used to, starting with a clean frame.  

Yeah as a pitcher it's a lot different coming in with a runner or two on base than it is coming in with a clean inning. Counsell has done this so often in the early going and it can't help their cause. Very poor job on his part.

as someone who has never owned him, I hope Fernando Rodney never retires because of the entertainment value he provides 

That was a classic Fernando Rodney blown save, top 10/greatest hits for sure

Edited by loro1991

PSA

We tend to be a bit more liberal in this thread about allowing play-by-play commentary and what's going on live in a game.  It's not quite the same as the other player threads, but it's also getting a little out of hand.

The Game Day Threads serve for play-by-play and pitch-by-pitch commentary, but this thread really isn't the place for it -- at least not to the level it's been recently.  You can post a guy's in trouble, missing his spots, decreased velocity, about to blow a save, etc.  We rely on that sort of thing to get a quicker jump on the wire for the replacements ... but try to be judicious.  

I guess what I'm saying (and what the Mods discussed recently) ... let's all rein it in a bit (and we're all guilty of it to some extent).  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Pruitt pitching the bottom of the 8th in Chicago ... normally that would be Romo's spot.  Alvarado finished the 6th and started the 7th (with a couple of Ks and only a BB allowed).

We might see Romo this afternoon.

So are we in a “drop Barnes for Albers” situation :blink::blink:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

Pruitt pitching the bottom of the 8th in Chicago ... normally that would be Romo's spot.  Alvarado finished the 6th and started the 7th (with a couple of Ks and only a BB allowed).

We might see Romo this afternoon.

colome was off today no matter what, IF the save opp is still there, it will be romo for sure

• Like 1

Rays pen strikes again ...

Big Bruce pitches the 8th.  Appears he may be 3rd in line in a volitale pen.  

7 hours ago, CharlieWhitehurst said:

What are the chances that Ottavino gets some save chances for COL? Solid ratios, has 2 W's already. 

I'm about to sit Parker and start Ottavino in a 3 RP league. 

6 hours ago, Jpress82 said:

Wade Davis is the closer. They signed him for alot of money so he is getting the 9th inning...not ottavino

wade davis is the closer, no doubt, but i've had a uneasy feeling about his arm health for a season or two. i don't recall if it was last season, or when he was with royals, but he had a forearm strain (or something in his forearm), twice i believe. it probably means nothing, but forearm problems really scare me for pitchers. maybe he does his thing without issue for the rest of the season, but since those forearm happened, i've stayed away. 

ottavino is probably just a hail mary, but you could do worse for ratios and whatnot, and in my opinion there's a non-zero chance that he could end up closing.

• Like 2

1. Nate Jones with the save, Soria last pitched on the 9th.  Change of guard?