JFS179

Mar/April Closer Thread 2018

Well the White Sox situation just got a bit murkier. 

1 hour ago, loro1991 said:

I wasn't able to watch, do you think they would have left him in if not for the HR?

I think he stayed in mainly for the Carpenter AB although it’s possible he stays in there had he gotten Pham out.

11 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Well the White Sox situation just got a bit murkier. 

Why??

3 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

Why??

Jones got the save with Soria on good rest. Is it committee or jones time ?

3 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

Why??

Jones closed out the game instead of Soria

Soria and Jones were considered co-closers coming into this season. The White Sox never said that changed. People just penciled in Soria in as the full-time closer after getting the first 3 opportunities.

Nate Jones is really good. Soria is also pretty good. There's not really any reason to expect either to struggle as long as they both stay healthy.

HOWEVER

Look at the contract situations.

In 2018, Nate Jones makes $4 million, Soria makes $9 million.

Soria is a free agent at the end of the season.

Jones, on the other hand, has CLUB options in both 2019 and 2020 for $5 million each.

Translation - the White Sox will likely trade Soria at some point this season, and they are grooming Jones for the closer role.

Soria will continue to see plenty of save opportunities for now, but as long as he remains healthy I expect Nate Jones to end the year as the White Sox closer.

9 minutes ago, ReyesMurphyWright said:

Soria and Jones were considered co-closers coming into this season. The White Sox never said that changed. People just penciled in Soria in as the full-time closer after getting the first 3 opportunities.

Nate Jones is really good. Soria is also pretty good. There's not really any reason to expect either to struggle as long as they both stay healthy.

HOWEVER

Look at the contract situations.

In 2018, Nate Jones makes $4 million, Soria makes $9 million.

Soria is a free agent at the end of the season.

Jones, on the other hand, has CLUB options in both 2019 and 2020 for $5 million each.

Translation - the White Sox will likely trade Soria at some point this season, and they are grooming Jones for the closer role.

Soria will continue to see plenty of save opportunities for now, but as long as he remains healthy I expect Nate Jones to end the year as the White Sox closer.

Agreed with the first part except that this trade narrative is no longer automatic.  A bullpen arm with a team friendly contract is more likely to net a better return. See Justin Wilson.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Agreed with the first part except that this trade narrative is no longer automatic.  A bullpen arm with a team friendly contract is more likely to net a better return. See Justin Wilson.

I agree that there remains a possibility of Nate Jones being traded.

However, if the White Sox are out of contention this summer - which seems incredibly likely - they have absolutely nothing to gain by keeping Soria around just to have him become a free agent after the season.

So, sure - they could both be traded. But if either of them has a chance to be closing games for the White Sox at the end of the year, it's Jones.

Boxberger still sitting 88-90 so far to Pence.

8 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Boxberger still sitting 88-90 so far to Pence.

2 k's, no walks, no hits - not seeing reason for panic just yet

I love people talking trades in April.  

6 minutes ago, AHF said:

In just 9 pitches.   Low velo shouldn't be of concern, this early in the season, for any pitcher

Edited by rich22

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

Yeah I’m not concerned yet.  Just tracking it as we build up into this grueling season.

On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 10:06 AM, Brooklyn Dude said:

It would be nice to eliminate the play by play commentary,  sometimes it's pitch by pitch,  until after the pitcher is finished.

It would make for a better thread.

Wholeheartedly disagree.  The thread provides analysis and directed, compiled, real-time news found nowhere else.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, thefamily79 said:

Wholeheartedly disagree.  The thread provides analysis and directed, compiled, real-time news found nowhere else.

Seconded. If I all I wanted was a wall of straight information I'd go read an article on fangraphs. I come here for the fun discussion mixed with good analysis and people's takes on situations while they are watching the game in real time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

How did Holland look?

Much better

• Thanks 1

Does anyone have any insight or an opinion as to why Jeffress IS NOT being considered for the closer role in mil? 

Finally put eyes on Colome yesterday...

Guy looks like garbage...said as someone that LOVED the fastball slider combo of his stuff in 2016.  This pitcher looks nothing like that guy. 

• Like 1

Koji sat at 88-90 and got the job done . It's not always about the heater Ricky . Location location location 

1 minute ago, motown magic said:

Koji sat at 88-90 and got the job done . It's not always about the heater Ricky . Location location location 

Is this about Boxberger or Colome?

5 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Does anyone have any insight or an opinion as to why Jeffress IS NOT being considered for the closer role in mil? 

I thought he had the 1st shot, and blew the save, I could be mistaken.

21 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

14 minutes ago, Topgun said:

I thought he had the 1st shot, and blew the save, I could be mistaken.

Jeffress’ velocity has been down 

https://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.aspx?playerid=9490&position=P&pitch=SI&data=pi

and he wasn’t even working high leverage situations. K rate is down. I think he’s a ticking time bomb, and Counsell knows it.

• Like 1

Long way to go on this comment but I'm closely watching Bruce Rondon for late this year and (dynasty) next in the event that Jones and Soria both get traded (and they should).

• Like 1