JFS179

Mar/April Closer Thread 2018

Still hopeful with Middleton. Has good stuff. Nasty. Just green. Hope they keep giving him chances. 

7 minutes ago, evillaw4eva said:

Middleton with not a very good outing. Just gave up a few hits and a run.

Just hit Andrus on the forearm too

2 base hits. Some good hitting there too. Might have rattled him a bit and he got a little wild. Put a walk and HBP on base. Also had 3 K and got five outs. I’d like to see some 3 out save opps. He’ll get a day or two off now I’d imagine (threw about 40 pitches). 

As I've been saying - Middleton is clearly the closer right now.

However, I can't say I'm 100% confident that he will keep the job all year with his skillset. He's merely a solid relief pitcher, not a great one.

But he definitely won't be available for tomorrow night's game after all the pitches he threw today, so someone else could get the save chance should the opportunity arise.

• Like 1

I know I’m going to jinx it but Scioscia is being normal so far: letting Skaggs got 100 plus to get the win and now putting Key in the role consistently. 

If if he keeps getting saves Key is not losing this job. Buy high.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

So Nerris has been awful so far, who do we think the next in line might be in the Phil's pen?

They will stick w Neris. The other options are pretty weak. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mtw02 said:

They will stick w Neris. The other options are pretty weak. 

Victor Arano could eventually take over if Neris keeps imploding.

Someone mentioned this on the last page, but Tommy Hunter was signed to a 2-year $18MM deal this offseason.  Last year posted a sub-3.00 ERA with a sub-1.00 WHIP and 9.8 K/9.

Stranger things have happened.  Hunter's on the DL for those of you with open spots.

12 hours ago, thefamily79 said:

Wholeheartedly disagree.  The thread provides analysis and directed, compiled, real-time news found nowhere else.

12 hours ago, ktierne3 said:

Seconded. If I all I wanted was a wall of straight information I'd go read an article on fangraphs. I come here for the fun discussion mixed with good analysis and people's takes on situations while they are watching the game in real time.

10 hours ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

The closer thread is where people come to talk about and speculate on who might win or lose a job and some reasoning.

This thread is over sixty pages on April 11th.   Going to need a weekly rather than monthly Closer thread soon.

People clearly enjoy discussing it live.

A separate game thread each day specifically for Bullpen talk seems to be the solution.

For the record, we're not looking to materially change the closer thread.  It's messy, but it serves its purpose.  We're not going to a weekly closer thread either.

All the PSA was designed to say was let's try to keep the play-by-play contained to closers really on the ropes, not when Kimbrel or Chapman or Osuna puts a man on base.  Let's aim for slightly messy.  Think haven't-picked-up-the-living-room-in-a-few-days, not full Hoarders.

Carry on ...

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, JFS179 said:

Someone mentioned this on the last page, but Tommy Hunter was signed to a 2-year $18MM deal this offseason.  Last year posted a sub-3.00 ERA with a sub-1.00 WHIP and 9.8 K/9.

Stranger things have happened.  Hunter's on the DL for those of you with open spots.

It was also the first year in his career that he struck out more than a batter per inning. And he has a checkered history, even as a RP, so I wonder if he can match last year's numbers. Maybe he reinvented himself last year, but I'm skeptical at his age. Isn't he 32?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

It was also the first year in his career that he struck out more than a batter per inning. And he has a checkered history, even as a RP, so I wonder if he can match last year's numbers. Maybe he reinvented himself last year, but I'm skeptical at his age. Isn't he 32?

Agree he is worth watching but $9M/year for a RP is a premium price so you'd think Philly has to be pretty darn confident.

Anyone dropping Blake Parker yet or are we still watching Mad Scientist Scocia's moves?   His ratios are hurting my team, but I keep thinking he might get the job back.

I want to cut him, but feel like I'll regret it later.

Is Albers the closer in Mil? No mention of their situation in awhile.

I'd bet on Albers.   Barnes was not good last time out, looked horrible in a blown save.

Edited by monkeydad

13 minutes ago, Trifecta said:

Man... I read through this thread all throughout the day and this is one of the most talked about situations from the moment Knebel went down. Like pitch by pitch breakdowns daily. I’m not trying to be a dick, but honestly just go look.

• Like 5

Hunter (hamstring) took fielding practice Wednesday and is set to go for a rehab assignment soon, Bob Brookover of The Philadephia Inquirer reports.

Hunter opened the year on the disabled list with a hamstring strain. The injury wasn't expected to be serious, though he doesn't yet have a set return date. He'll likely need a few rehab appearances before returning to Philadelphia, where he'll slide into a setup role in front of Hector Neris.

RE: Hector Neris/Tommy Hunter

I'm a Neris owner. Hunter is the handcuff I added. For now. Watching Arano and Rios in that pen as well.

Edited by Stein

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

http://www.tbo.com/blogs/rays/tommy-hunters-breakout-year-anchors-rays-bullpen/2329990

Performance + Explanation for Performance + Fat Contract = Worthy Speculative Pick (especially at the cost of a DL slot)

• Like 1

The Brewers situation is going to be a mess.  See if you can trade for Knebel on the cheap, if you can get him for a nice discount that would be my plan.

I saw a couple pages that someone mentioned adding Minter as a backup, but that it would take a bit more faltering for Vizcaino to lose the job.  Any idea how long his leash is?

31 minutes ago, exzacly909 said:

Man... I read through this thread all throughout the day and this is one of the most talked about situations from the moment Knebel went down. Like pitch by pitch breakdowns daily. I’m not trying to be a dick, but honestly just go look.

I didn't go far back enough. This thread truly is chock full of A TON of clutter. I can't keep up.  I'm fully aware of the irony of what I just said too because I added to it. My apologies.

I'm just going to draft elite closers from now on and save myself the trouble of reading the tea leaves and sorting through this thread.

Edited by Trifecta
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Trifecta said:

I didn't go far back enough. This thread truly is chock full of A TON of clutter. I can't keep up.  I'm fully aware of the irony of what I just said too because I added to it. My apologies.

I'm just going to draft elite closers from now on and save myself the trouble of reading the tea leaves and sorting through this thread.

Red Star next to the thread ... click on that, read/skim for relevant news on the situation you're trying to research.  Do the work.

28 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

I saw a couple pages that someone mentioned adding Minter as a backup, but that it would take a bit more faltering for Vizcaino to lose the job.  Any idea how long his leash is?

I've driven a lot of this speculation myself, but it's for a few reasons:

1) Walks can kill a closer, and Vizcaino cut his walk rate in half in 2017, but we don't know if that's sustainable for 2018

2) Bad stretches can kill a closer, and Viz has had those in the past, similar to a guy like Rafael Soriano

3) Minter's had health problems, and the most reliable role in the pen (some debate this, but I firmly believe it) is the closer's role.  

4) Minter is really good ... the numbers he put up last year were simply astounding from a K% and K-BB% perspective, plus he's hard to square up

5) The Braves are pretty good now ... they're probably going to be in the thick of the playoff hunt for most of the year, and I don't think they'll have a lot of patience for blown saves when the alternative options are really good too.

Viz has leash ... the change isn't happening today.  I just don't happen to think his leash is as long as some others do.  I'd say Viz is 2 more blown saves (if they occur in a row) from losing the gig ... maybe 3 of his next 5 chances, especially if Minter is lights out.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

I've driven a lot of this speculation myself, but it's for a few reasons:

1) Walks can kill a closer, and Vizcaino cut his walk rate in half in 2017, but we don't know if that's sustainable for 2018

2) Bad stretches can kill a closer, and Viz has had those in the past, similar to a guy like Rafael Soriano

3) Minter's had health problems, and the most reliable role in the pen (some debate this, but I firmly believe it) is the closer's role.  

4) Minter is really good ... the numbers he put up last year were simply astounding from a K% and K-BB% perspective, plus he's hard to square up

5) The Braves are pretty good now ... they're probably going to be in the thick of the playoff hunt for most of the year, and I don't think they'll have a lot of patience for blown saves when the alternative options are really good too.

Viz has leash ... the change isn't happening today.  I just don't happen to think his leash is as long as some others do.  I'd say Viz is 2 more blown saves (if they occur in a row) from losing the gig ... maybe 3 of his next 5 chances, especially if Minter is lights out.

Thanks!  And I appreciate the tangible number prediction added as well.

1 hour ago, Trifecta said:

I check out Closer Monkey first thing every morning, best darn website around all my needs are met at closer monkey 

• Haha 1