taobball

Brandon Nimmo 2018 Outlook

When a lead-off hitter doesn't have a thread on opening day, it probably means he's being slept on a bit too much. 

A bit late to the parties cause drafts are behind us, and who knows with Conforto, etc., if he holds the job, but Brandon Nimmo as the current lead-off hitter for the New York Mets needs to be added in a lot more leagues. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, taobball said:

When a lead-off hitter doesn't have a thread on opening day, it probably means he's being slept on a bit too much. 

A bit late to the parties cause drafts are behind us, and who knows with Conforto, etc., if he holds the job, but Brandon Nimmo as the current lead-off hitter for the New York Mets needs to be added in a lot more leagues. 

Conforto should be back shortly, probably middle of April.   He is on an extended spring training probably to stay in the warmer weather in Florida.

But if he's goes down with an injury during the season,  Nimmo is a really good add.

Or if Jay Bruce gets significant time at 1B in the event Adrian Gonzalez gets released.

1 minute ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

Conforto should be back shortly, probably middle of April.   He is on an extended spring training probably to stay in the warmer weather in Florida.

But if he's goes down with an injury during the season,  Nimmo is a really good add.

Or if Jay Bruce gets significant time at 1B in the event Adrian Gonzalez gets released.

Nimmo's young and offer's a role that the other three don't. Bruce, Gonzalez, and Conforto are all lefty power hitters. Conforto has a bit more upside but hasn't proved to be much more. I like what I saw today. Nimmo has two weeks to hit well, but I think there's a realistic possibility with no clear lead-off hitter for the Mets that if Nimmo continues to hit he'll get the playing time and only two of the lefty-slugger types will get in the line-up every day. 

I don't know Mickey Callaway much as a rookie manager... if it were Terry Collins I'd say I wouldn't imagine he'd get benched as the leadoff hitter if he were hot. But just in general it's the same argument I have today for Ian Happ. Specifics aside, at the end of hte day the fact that they lead him off in the first place shows a level of confidence. The fact that he's playing in Center shows a level of defensive value. This is a valuable baseball player who has a minimum two week audition with the not-too-insane potential of proving himself more valuable as a lead-off hitter than Gonzalez AND Bruce as 5-6 hitters, getting 700 PAs, and having a good Runs total at the very floor. 

Conforto might be back in a week, so that timeline is getting shorter. I think there's a more clear path to playing time if Gonzalez falters and they shift Bruce to 1B. But there is no way he will play over Cespedes, Bruce, or Conforto in OF no matter how well he starts. Might earn a few more spot starts but thats about it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, taobball said:

Nimmo's young and offer's a role that the other three don't. Bruce, Gonzalez, and Conforto are all lefty power hitters. Conforto has a bit more upside but hasn't proved to be much more. I like what I saw today. Nimmo has two weeks to hit well, but I think there's a realistic possibility with no clear lead-off hitter for the Mets that if Nimmo continues to hit he'll get the playing time and only two of the lefty-slugger types will get in the line-up every day. 

I don't know Mickey Callaway much as a rookie manager... if it were Terry Collins I'd say I wouldn't imagine he'd get benched as the leadoff hitter if he were hot. But just in general it's the same argument I have today for Ian Happ. Specifics aside, at the end of hte day the fact that they lead him off in the first place shows a level of confidence. The fact that he's playing in Center shows a level of defensive value. This is a valuable baseball player who has a minimum two week audition with the not-too-insane potential of proving himself more valuable as a lead-off hitter than Gonzalez AND Bruce as 5-6 hitters, getting 700 PAs, and having a good Runs total at the very floor. 

He is a former first round pick,  in fact Sandy's first selection as the new Mets GM.  Sandy would not include him in any trade deals this past winter.

The problem is Cespedes and Bruce have big contracts for multi years and Conforto's upside is huge.

If Jay could handle 1B full time,  or at least in a platoon with Flores at 1B,  we all know what the solution should be.  

Nimmo is very talented and his OBP is really good.

Edited by Brooklyn Dude

Just now, Brooklyn Dude said:

He is a former first round pick,  in fact Sandy's first selection as the new Mets GM.  Sandy would not include him in any trade deals this past winter.

The problem is Cespedes and Bruce have big contracts for multi years and Conforto's upside is huge.

If Jay could handle 1B full time,  or at least in a platoon with Flores at 1B,  we all know what the solution should be.  

Nimmo is very talented and his OBP is really good.

I'm glad he's getting the opportunity to hit leadoff. I drafted him in several deep leagues and hopefully he'll get playing time even when Conforto returns. The kid has talent. 

Even while Conforto is out he's still on the strong side of a platoon with Lagares, is he not? I'm in an OBP league and I really want to find the logic to add him, but there are a lot of barriers to PT right now. 

1 hour ago, handyandy86 said:

Even while Conforto is out he's still on the strong side of a platoon with Lagares, is he not? I'm in an OBP league and I really want to find the logic to add him, but there are a lot of barriers to PT right now. 

In an OBP league he's worth a spot for a week but don't expect anything long term.

6 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Kid got sick and never played again.  The lesson here is don’t get sick 

Or don't play for the Mets. I get that I'm hyping him but I physically don't understand the insisted utility of having so many straight sluggers. They're the Baltimore Orioles of the NL for Christ sakes. Frazier, Bruce, Agon... trotting out an outfield of effing Cespedes--Conforto--Bruce every day...

i dont say this as someone who hates the mets but just someone who is frustrated--- but I truly hope that crap outfield starts costing them game so maybe they'll start to realize that maybe Adrian Gonzalez doesn't have the *most* valuable skill set for your team needs.

.379 OBP in 2017... first round pick... 4 walks... 1 k... .600 OBP

DEMOTED

grumble. Asinine.

4 minutes ago, taobball said:

Or don't play for the Mets. I get that I'm hyping him but I physically don't understand the insisted utility of having so many straight sluggers. They're the Baltimore Orioles of the NL for Christ sakes. Frazier, Bruce, Agon... trotting out an outfield of effing Cespedes--Conforto--Bruce every day...

i dont say this as someone who hates the mets but just someone who is frustrated--- but I truly hope that crap outfield starts costing them game so maybe they'll start to realize that maybe Adrian Gonzalez doesn't have the *most* valuable skill set for your team needs.

.379 OBP in 2017... first round pick... 4 walks... 1 k... .600 OBP

DEMOTED

grumble. Asinine.

Problem is the Mets been winning. Arguably, Flores should be playing ahead of Gonzalez but Nimmo wasnt going to play ahead of Cespedes, Bruce and Conforto. Only way he would've gotten PT was if Bruce played 1B.

Just now, Gryfter said:

Problem is the Mets been winning. Arguably, Flores should be playing ahead of Gonzalez but Nimmo wasnt going to play ahead of Cespedes, Bruce and Conforto. Only way he would've gotten PT was if Bruce played 1B.

Agreed which I think helps the team a lot.

and Nimmo has lead off for them in some of those wins, so I don't necessarily think we should look at he mets winning as if it should be a knock on The idea that Nimmo should have stayed

An SB Nation opinion 

The mets are making a mistake with Brandon Nimmo 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.amazinavenue.com/platform/amp/2018/4/10/17220486/mets-brandon-nimmo-mistake-new-york

"

Looking at broader context makes that justification quickly wilt, however. Of the four players blocking him, three have had significant recent health issues; Cespedes hasn’t played more than 132 games since 2015 due to leg issues, Gonzalez was almost forced into retirement the last two years due to back trouble, and Conforto suffered a unique shoulder injury down the stretch last season. Jay Bruce is the iron man of the unit, but he also has a history of knee issues and is creeping towards 32. All four of these guys could benefit from somewhat regular rest, a practice that would hopefully keep them healthier and more productive.

Imagine this scenario. In the first week, Adrian Gonzalez and Jay Bruce get days off. Bruce slides to first with Gonzalez out of the lineup, and Nimmo moves into center field, with Conforto going to right. The next week, Cespedes and Conforto get days off, with Nimmo pushing Conforto to left when Cespedes is on the bench. This is a very easy and relatively unobtrusive way of getting Nimmo two starts a week at minimum, along with being the first pinch hitter off the bench.

Instead, the Mets have elected to run a four-man bench with eight relievers. This isn’t an uncommon strategy in modern baseball, with starters throwing fewer and fewer innings. However, one would figure having two recently converted starters—Robert Gsellman and Seth Lugo—in the bullpen would give the Mets some extra length and allow them to run with only seven arms. Further, Paul Sewald hasn’t pitched in more than a week after logging two innings on April 1. If there’s already one arm that’s not getting used with a seven man bullpen, why add an eighth?

"

Maybe the Mets think that jockeying him back and forth from the Majors and Minors at 25 yo is the best thing for him. Personally I think you take all this and add the fact that you're pouring a lot of water on his hot start.

Edited by taobball
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, taobball said:

Agreed which I think helps the team a lot.

and Nimmo has lead off for them in some of those wins, so I don't necessarily think we should look at he mets winning as if it should be a knock on The idea that Nimmo should have stayed

Totally forgot about Lagares too. I never understood the Gonzalez signing. 

The lineup would "look" better with Nimmo-Conforto-Cespedes-Bruce as your 1-4.

Just now, Gryfter said:

And to me the outfield would also look better too, primarily by putting Confortos range over Bruces... because I do believe Nimmo is a better fielder but I'm not sure how much so, but Nimmo+Conforto is going to do much better than Conforto+Bruce. Letting Confotto be a really good RF instead of a below Average CF with a below average RF and I also don't love Cespedes range, though he's probably overall about average as a fielder, with the occasional wow moment. 

6 hours ago, Gryfter said:

Nimmo

Rosario

Conforto

Cespedes

Bruce

For what it's worth, Bruce worked out at first pre-game yesterday after not doing any drills there all spring.

5 hours ago, disasterisk said:

Nimmo

Rosario

Conforto

Cespedes

Bruce

Rosario hasn't earned that spot...hes nowhere near the hitter Conforto is right now.

23 minutes ago, Gryfter said:

Rosario hasn't earned that spot...hes nowhere near the hitter Conforto is right now.

Earned that spot? Lol. What does Rosario hitting 2nd in the lineup have to do with Conforto? Conforto should be hitting 3rd. 

Nimmo has been called back up by the Mets.

unless the Mets move Bruce to 1B I imagine Nimmo wont get much playing time.

Gonzalez is killing it right now but I would consider it one of the bigger surprises of the baseball season if he’s able to sustain it all year. I think there will be playing time for Nimmo soon. I hope so anyway. He has the approach and decent speed that would help the top of the lineup.

Edited by Marty Funkhouser

His approach is basically to never swing. 28.6% Swing%, tied for 2nd lowest in the majors. Even watching his ABs relatively consistently it's wild how often he takes close pitches (and pitches right down the pipe, too). I imagine more and more teams will catch onto it and he'll have to prove he can do damage with the bat sooner or later. 

Edited by absknicks