taobball

Brandon Nimmo 2018 Outlook

3 hours ago, SkinsNoles21 said:

It's almost like that 7 game road trip @Az & @Colorado had something to do with his hot streak. 

Chase Field hasn't been super hitter friendly since the humidor was put in this year. 

Yawn, Mets have put up 4 early and Nimmo has nothing to show for it except a K.  Keep holding him though!  At least his smile can warm your hearts.

1 minute ago, DemOrioles said:

Yawn, Mets have put up 4 early and Nimmo has nothing to show for it except a K.  Keep holding him though!  At least his smile can warm your hearts.

No doubt, he has been bad since getting HBP.  He should have been placed on DL but the Mets rushed him back too soon.  

As always, the question of holding vs. dropping is a league-specific issue, dependent on league depth and format.  In OBP leagues he is elite so dropping him based on a slump coming back prematurely from injury would be a knee-jerk mistake.

Just now, El_Chingon said:

No doubt, he has been bad since getting HBP.  He should have been placed on DL but the Mets rushed him back too soon.  

As always, the question of holding vs. dropping is a league-specific issue, dependent on league depth and format.  In OBP leagues he is elite so dropping him based on a slump coming back prematurely from injury would be a knee-jerk mistake.

OBP leagues are a different story but if he doesn't start taking more walks then he is irrelevant there as well.

Let's dispel the myth here and now: The plate discipline was deteriorating prior to the HBP.

In the three weeks (80 PA) prior to the HBP Nimmo was walking at a 7.5% clip and striking out at a 35% clip, mmkay?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Let's dispel the myth here and now: The plate discipline was deteriorating prior to the HBP.

In the three weeks (80 PA) prior to the HBP Nimmo was walking at a 7.5% clip and striking out at a 35% clip, mmkay?

Bro you can't bring facts in here.  The Nimmo apologists in this thread, and there are many, don't want to hear any of that.

2 minutes ago, DemOrioles said:

Bro you can't bring facts in here.  The Nimmo apologists in this thread, and there are many, don't want to hear any of that.

I don’t think there’s that many Nimmo apologists, at least not to the extent that you stir things up with your over the top negativity in this thread. Your daily “drop this bum” posts are only useful in the most shallow of all leagues, and that’s being generous. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

33 minutes ago, DemOrioles said:

I'm not sure what to think of Nimmo, potential buy low opportunity though...

In that 80 PA span you mention, he still had a 25% O-swing, but swinging strikes rose to 11%... not indicative of a 35% K Rate, and his 25% O-Swing doesn't suggest his plate discipline was poor at all, that's still strong. Reads more like a tough slump than an actual tangible regression. 

Just now, StevieStats said:

I'm not sure what to think of Nimmo, potential buy low opportunity though...

In that 80 PA span you mention, he still had a 25% O-swing, but swinging strikes rose to 11%... not indicative of a 35% K Rate, and his 25% O-Swing doesn't suggest his plate discipline was poor at all, that's still strong. Reads more like a tough slump than an actual tangible regression. 

Agreed. I like the guy; I'm an owner. But I noticed the performance tailing off before the HBP.

With that said, I'm definitely holding.

It’s basically his first relevant hot to cold slump of his career...and he got a boo boo...if u can’t afford to hold a while longer ur prolly cooked anyway. Roto at least 

Nimmo has an eight game week all v RHP next week. The finger should be healing. Might be a good time to jump back onboard.

• Like 6

Seeing a lot of All Star talk for the kid. Pretty cool. I’m hoping he turns it back on after the break and gets to recover a bit more from that bothersome finger. Tough double header today v Eflin and Nola...

This is the week the train gets back on the tracks....choo choooooo

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Dalton Gang said:

Is he droppable now? Seems the shine has worn off. 1 for 7 isn’t cutting it.

Of course he’s droppable.  He’s been that way for weeks.  If you play in an OBP league, whatever hold him no one cares about OBP leagues.

His little burst of production several weeks ago came @Arizona and @Coors.  What has he done since then?  Thank you.  No homers, 1 RBI, and just about enough runs to sprinkle on a cupcake because again, he plays for the Mets.

News flash it’s not a lingering pinky injury.  Pinky injuries don’t make you strike out in bunches and they also don’t make you get caught stealing.

• Confused 2

Players can go in slumps for weeks at a time.  Springer has been in one for almost 2 months now.  

Definitely can be benched.  

• Like 1

Anyone still own Nimmo? His % ownership on Yahoo has gone from 70 to 42 in the last few weeks 

[Bickering removed.  If you want to discuss Nimmo's value, you're going to need to do it without condescension and personal attacks.]

51 minutes ago, mdpharm23 said:

Anyone still own Nimmo? His % ownership on Yahoo has gone from 70 to 42 in the last few weeks 

I'm holding him on my bench in a 12-team 5x5. Not to be all CSB but just to add context...I'm holding him because keepers are tagged with the rounds in which they were drafted in my league. Because he was a FA pickup, he'll have a rd23 or later tag (30 rounds), giving him quite a bit of value if he can turn things back around. I can see redrafts dropping him. But in auction leagues where he's cheap and in keeper leagues with rounds attached to players, I think he's worth holding and benching...if you have the bench space. 

I own him as my fourth OF (start 3 and 2 util) in a 16 team league. He's got way way more upside than most guys you could pull off the waivers. This panic after a slump is frankly laughable. Baseball is a long season and if we're going to drop guys after a bad week then we're gonna miss out on a lot of good rebounds and live anxiously. Think Devers, Carpenter, Votto, Goldy, Altuve.  They're obviously not all in the same league but you gotta think long term. 

10th best OF over the last calendar year in wRC+, right ahead of Blackmon and Pham. So might not want to make decisions based off the last few weeks, that includes taking a pitch off his hand. 

If anything, I think this is a nice opportunity to buy cheaply. 

2 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

10th best OF over the last calendar year in wRC+, right ahead of Blackmon and Pham. So might not want to make decisions based off the last few weeks, that includes taking a pitch off his hand. 

If anything, I think this is a nice opportunity to buy cheaply. 

Yeah but he went 1 for 7 yesterday with 4 Ks. That projects to like 400 strikeouts on the year dude. Drop immediately and add Reynolds IMO. That guy is on pace for 50 home runs. Easy money. Eassssy money. 

• Haha 4