taobball

Brandon Nimmo 2018 Outlook

11 hours ago, absknicks said:

He was due for some regression. Wasn't going to OPS .970 over an extended period of time. But I still like him as an OF4 type going forward. I said this earlier in the thread but I really like the Shin-Soo Choo comparison that Eno Sarris made. Think they're very comparable profiles.

That’s a damn good player too.

• Like 1

Headed to Colorado on Monday for a 4 game set.  Could be a great place for Nimmo to find himself.

The reasons he should be leading off really go beyond even the specific composition of this line-up to get people on base in front of him. 

We give the Mets a lot of s---. And yes, it could be a just simply put different philosophy. But when they do this, after demoting and benching Nimmo so much throughout the year, it makes me go... "Do you even know why this guy is good?" Like to the Mets think he's good now because he's slugging? And that his eye is just some kind've nice cute bonus? It doesnt' make a whole lot of sense to me. 

This guy is the perfect profile for the lead-off hitter. He's struggling a bit more now, striking out a bit more, etc., but ultimately, he's made good enough contact with a good enough eye that I think his K% is likely to come down, even if not this year, through his still very young career. He doesn't necessarily have the most stolen base speed, but that's no longer valued as much by the vast majority of managers-- and he can steal a base and is PHYSICALLY fast enough to work from 1st-to-home in some manner at the start of games. 

Nimmo shouldn't be the Lead-Off hitter now because he looks like the best lead-off hitter now. He should be the lead-off hitter now because he looks like the perfect lead-off hitter (at least potentially) for the Mets over the course of the next 6 years. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

It’s possible he won’t play today. Corbin’s a tough lefty.

I'll take 2-for-2 v. Corbin any day. Shouldhopefully continue to get him more PT v. LHPs. 

11 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Lol I didn't realize how much this dude strikes out

This week was a rough one for him regarding K's. He struck out 12 times in the past 7 games. Overall he has struck out 32.5% of his AB's on the season but I see that number decreasing. 

18 hours ago, Beakman said:

Headed to Colorado on Monday for a 4 game set.  Could be a great place for Nimmo to find himself.

2 of those games are against lefties.

3 hours ago, DemOrioles said:

In a SSS he has a .769 OPS vs LH starters and Anderson and Freeland aren't instilling the fear of God in anyone. Anderson has also been a reverse split guy this year and is giving up an OPS north of .900 to LH batters

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DemOrioles said:

Good, he'll get an opportunity to hit lefties in Coors. Hopefully he doens't get sat. But it seems they want to make him everyday, 2 hits v. Corbin should look promising from a managing perspective, and Coors should be nice. But the only way to improve at something is to do it. Nimmo needs to see lefties. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, WTP333 said:

2-run blast!

(does any player get more day-to-day then Nimmo?) But as a player who gets a lot of credit for "being a ball player"... I mean there's nothing "situational baseball" about hitting a two-run go-ahead HR. Every situation dictates a HR. But New York fans are gonna love their lone offensive bright winning a game. 

His WAR on the season (before this game) was 2.2. Now at 10 HRs and 7 SBs and still batting over .270. I think the BABIP goes down, the K% goes down, and the BA stays the same, with 20/15 to 25/20.

Line-up spot has been weird. Lead-off. Maybe 3rd. Sometimes 5th against lefties. Hopefully he gets 4 starts at Coors against 2 lefties and can do something with them. 

• Like 2

This guy has been a great pick up thanks to the board here! You guys are a wealth of information! Kind of a CSB but have to give credit where credit is due. Where do folks think he ranks for 2019 and beyond in dynasty?

Edited by Pat Patriot

This kid's numbers over the last month are ridiculous...8 HR, 6 SB, 19 R. These are the FAs that help teams win leagues. And I just love watching him play...he loves this game. It's written all over his face when he plays. He's like a little kid playing little league again. 

• Like 6

Just now, Flyman75 said:

This kid's numbers over the last month are ridiculous...8 HR, 6 SB, 19 R. These are the FAs that help teams win leagues. And I just love watching him play...he loves this game. It's written all over his face when he plays. He's like a little kid playing little league again. 

I love that he ALWAYS busts it out of the box - everything from no doubt HRs and even on Walks he busts it (& im not even kidding). Its a Great habit for a kid with solid speed. Great pickup in my OPS league too ;)

He's a former 1st round pick too so the skillsets definitely there. He didnt display much power or speed in the minors but he's hitting lots of XBHs and some of those are now clearing rhe fence. Now if only Conforto could find his swing, my NYMs would have a pretty formidable OF (once Cespedes returns).

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

I swear, the Mets fans are not overly excited about Nimmo.

At least that's the vibe I get listening to talk-radio.

Really? Im ecstatic over him, with the potential to have him and Conforto for our future is amazing. Nimmo is a great leadoff hitter and having 2 young Left handed hitters is exciting for lineup potential. Nimmos power looks legit so maybe slot him #2 to take advantage of it would be smarter, we shall see but if Rosario ever becomes the leadoff hitter we hoped we were getting, a lineup like Rosario - Nimmo - Cespedes - Conforto is super exciting! Lots of "ifs" there but the potential is really exciting to me.

Maybe most Mets fans aren't smitten over him bc other than the Great Batting eye, he never really displayed these tools in the minors but he appears to have developed some power and has the speed/hustle to steal 15+ bags. But as a Met fan we're used to being let down so maybe that's why the average Met fan is apprehensive to 'love' him bc of how much we all Loved Conforto and got our parade rained on... But that's the life of most Mets fans, small glimmer of hope/flashes of greatness... followed by severe letdowns. Its hard to get our hopes up as Mets fans bc we rarely get "paid off" in the long run :(

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, metropolitans said:

Really? Im ecstatic over him, with the potential to have him and Conforto for our future is amazing. Nimmo is a great leadoff hitter and having 2 young Left handed hitters is exciting for lineup potential. Nimmos power looks legit so maybe slot him #2 to take advantage of it would be smarter, we shall see but if Rosario ever becomes the leadoff hitter we hoped we were getting, a lineup like Rosario - Nimmo - Cespedes - Conforto is super exciting! Lots of "ifs" there but the potential is really exciting to me.

Maybe most Mets fans aren't smitten over him bc other than the Great Batting eye, he never really displayed these tools in the minors but he appears to have developed some power and has the speed/hustle to steal 15+ bags. But as a Met fan we're used to being let down so maybe that's why the average Met fan is apprehensive to 'love' him bc of how much we all Loved Conforto and got our parade rained on... But that's the life of most Mets fans, small glimmer of hope/flashes of greatness... followed by severe letdowns. Its hard to get our hopes up as Mets fans bc we rarely get "paid off" in the long run :(

Boy... I mean, I like Conforto and Nimmo enough but Cespedes is an oft (read: always) injured 32-year old and Rosario is so far from being a competent major league player... that's just not much of a young core when compared to other teams around baseball. Or even compared to other teams in their division.

2 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Funny thing of it is that he's the highest drafted player ever from Wyoming -one of I think 3 states that doesnt have HS baseball. Anyway he gets a 4 game set at COL so he'll be close to his home state for a few days. Heres to hoping he puts on a show in the thin air. 

57 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Nimmo is the total package as far as I'm concernced. He's Conforto with speed.

6 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

I think it's because we've heard about this kid since 2011 when he was Sandy Alderson's first, first round draft pick.  He's been in our collective conscious for 7 years and up until now, he really hasn't done anything of note.  I think most Mets fans are leery because we're not sure if this is a mirage or for real with Nimmo.  Nonetheless, I really love this kid's disposition and am excited if this is for real.  He seems so genuine and plays every game like he's grateful to be there.  I always joke with my friends it's almost as if he was plucked out of 1950 given his tidy uniform presentation and aw shucks demeanor.