taobball

Brandon Nimmo 2018 Outlook

1 hour ago, taobball said:

Ive said it since the beginning-- luxury hold. You can't do it f you need any sort of PT in your  OF. 

I'm holding. It's a dynasty and I have to imagine he gets his shot eventually. Long season so I'm trying to practice patience here. 

7 minutes ago, phizzics said:

It seems like ancient history now, but Nimmo was the first pick for the Mets in 2011, and cracked BA's top 50 prospects in 2015. He lost some luster along the way, but there's good reason to believe that his hot start isn't a mirage. At 25 he's right at the age where you would expect to see the results of seasoning in the minors. The veterans shouldn't be in his way. Bruce and Cespedes have both shown that their slumps can be long and horrific, so you risk little by benching one or both of them for a few days.

Sandy's very first pick I do believe. 

• Like 1

As a New Yorker who watches a ton of games, the player comp I’d give for Nimmo is Melky Cabrera.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Folarin said:

As a New Yorker who watches a ton of games, the player comp I’d give for Nimmo is Melky Cabrera.

interesting comp..

josh willingham is a name that jumped into my mind recently as a comp, but i recall willingham having more power than i attribute to nimmo.

Me listening to a game with Nimmo:

1-0 Mets, Nimmo steps in 

"I bet he scored that run"

*Commentator*: Nimmo scored the lone run of the game.

"Yup. Sounds about right."

*On a hit by pitch*

"Eh. Okay."

*Gets hit by second pitch for second HBP*

"THAT'S MY BOY. GETS ON BASE." 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2018 at 1:41 PM, Folarin said:

He reminds me of Conforto with less power.

Bruce taking practice at 1B... Cespedes just had to leave the game...

This levee is about to break. 

7 minutes ago, taobball said:

Bruce taking practice at 1B... Cespedes just had to leave the game...

This levee is about to break. 

Didn't seem serious for Cespedes. 

Just now, High&Inside said:

Didn't seem serious for Cespedes. 

Probably not. But just in general. I think cracks above him are showing. 

1 minute ago, taobball said:

Probably not. But just in general. I think cracks above him are showing. 

Let's say he gets a shot at regular playing time for the rest of the season, what kind of projections would you give him?

Just now, meh2 said:

Let's say he gets a shot at regular playing time for the rest of the season, what kind of projections would you give him?

Nothing overwhelming in any category. I think he could be a 15/15 , probably closer to 15/10 with a good average, high runs type right now and I think he could grow into more power but don't also think 15 Steals is VERY aggressive, and really 7-9 may be a bit more expected. 

• Thanks 1

Cespedes is on the 10-day DL with a right hip flexor strain.  He was playing through the injury and the DL is retroactive to 5/14.  Mets recalled Phillip Evans from AAA and he is starting in LF and batting fifth.  Nimmo not in starting lineup.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, En Votto Veritas said:

Cespedes is on the 10-day DL with a right hip flexor strain.  He was playing through the injury and the DL is retroactive to 5/14.  Mets recalled Phillip Evans from AAA and he is starting in LF and batting fifth.  Nimmo not in starting lineup.

Left hander going today, I'm not surprised he's not starting. 

I would temper my expectations though. He reminds me of Markakis prior to this season. Good for the real team, not so great for the fantasy owner. 

Just now, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

I would temper my expectations though. He reminds me of Markakis prior to this season. Good for the real team, not so great for the fantasy owner. 

Very true and especially if you're in a 5X5.  In bigger leagues with more cats he's surprisingly valuable if your league counts 1Bs, 3Bs, BBs, OBP.  I'm in a league that counts all these and just lost Cespedes and Marte to injuries.  But yeah, in 5X5 he's pretty mundane.

7 minutes ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

Left hander going today, I'm not surprised he's not starting. 

Nimmo has yet to get a hit against a left-hander this year (albeit in only 12 plate appearances) and didn't look particularly good against Garcia yesterday. It's not too surprising that he isn't starting today, especially given Conforto didn't play yesterday. 

So Cespy is on the shelf and Nimmo isn't even starting I don't get it. Yea its a lefty but this isn't how you develop young players Let Nimmo start. See what the kid can do and let him play everyday and hit leadoff for two weeks and just see what happens. You want to bench him against a Kershaw or Sale fine but dont pigeon hole a young player into thinking he can't hit lefties.  No wonder the Mets struggle to develop young talent when they constantly jerk guys around start/sit/sit/start/start its gotta be awfully tough for a young player to achieve even a modicum of success when they don't even know if they are starting or not. I'm not saying Nimmo's a world beater by any means but he was a 1st rounder and he has some really good skills one of which is getting on base and the Mets could certainly use a capable lead off guy. What I don't get is benching him in favor of career 4th OF/JAG Lagares yea lets keep leading off Lagares and his sweet sweet career 4% BB rate. is it because the Mets are scared to death of letting Nimmo play CF?  I just don't get it its perplexing to say the least. 

• Like 1

Almost a month worth of PAs now and he’s “slowed down” comparatively but still holds a .440 OBP and .920 OPS. He should be allowed to just sit atop and see if he can maintain at this point w/onCespedes

Should be nice to see what Nimmo can do while Cespedes is out.  He's had trouble with lefties but his OBP will be nice for a team that needs it.

Well I don't know how to embed tweets I guess but further down that twitter thread:

" Remember when everyone was screaming for more playing time for Brandon Nimmo, and bristling at the phrase, "things will work themselves out"? Well, things have worked themselves out. The Mets' current fourth and fifth outfielders are Phillip Evans and Wilmer Flores. "

And... Nimmo is leading off tonight.

Edited by En Votto Veritas
  • Like 3