Lebanasty

Miguel Andujar 2018 Outlook

He showcased his talent offensively this spring and had a decent shot at making the opening day roster. The Yanks wanted to keep him down (for control reasons), however it looks like their hand has been forced with injuries 3 days into the season. His bat is major league ready, the question is how long he will last and if he'll get more than a start or two per week while he's up. At the start it's likely he'll fill a utility infield role.

Last time I posted this both my post and the duplicate that beat me by 1 minute were removed. Lets see if this one sticks, I waited 10 minutes and didn't see another post.

• Like 1

We think hes up for good?  I dont want to drop 20-25% of my FAAB on someone who wont be up for long.

Ellsbury could be back Thursday, which will likely result in Andujar being sent back down to manage service time.

• Like 1

2B Tyler Wade also in the mix for playing time. Tyler Austin for that matter too.

Yankees GM Brian Cashman expects Tyler Wade to see time in the outfield with Billy McKinney (shoulder), Jacoby Ellsbury (oblique) and Aaron Hicks (intercostal) all injured.

At the start of the year it seemed like the Yankees had too many outfielders. Now they're down to Brett Gardner, Aaron Judge, Wade and Giancarlo Stanton, who was expected to serve as the team's DH. Wade has started the last two games at second base for New York but did make seven appearances in the outfield last season.

6 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

I'm surprised this thread isn't more active.

I'm interested, but his playing time and likely return to the minors is worrisome. 

1 minute ago, osb_tensor said:

I'm interested, but his playing time and likely return to the minors is worrisome. 

This has such a Ian Happ from 2017 feel to me. I know there is a lot of moving parts here. Hit tool is really nice and I think he’s got some serious pop. I’m adding now and seeing how it shakes out. 

Edited by exzacly909

Add now if you can.  Drop is he gets sent down next week.  He was actually drafted and stashed in all of my leagues so I missed out.

From the sounds of it, Yankees are looking to put Tyler Wade in CF for the time being.  So Andujar 3B, Drury 2B, Wade to CF.  The rest stays the same.  This is until Ellsbury comes off te DL and Andujar is sent down.

What I thought they'd do is DH Andujar and play the same OF they had today. Gardner LF, Judge CF, Stanton RF.  A lot of the Yankees analysts thought the same.

It's really just a mess.  Andujar will get regular ABs but he will be sent down when Ellsbury is activated.

If the Yankees called him up, they're going to play him. Whether that's at 3B or DH or whatever, there's no point in calling up a top prospect to ride the pine. 

You also have to think he has a very real chance of staying up if he's producing. The Yankees are in it to win it right now - are they really going to be concerned about service years if Andujar is hitting well?

Maybe that's an overly simplistic way of looking at it, but to me it's the most logical. Of course this all hinges on him actually producing, but if he does, I can't see them sending him back down in a few weeks, in a year where they're pushing for a World Series. 

12 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

If the Yankees called him up, they're going to play him. Whether that's at 3B or DH or whatever, there's no point in calling up a top prospect to ride the pine. 

You also have to think he has a very real chance of staying up if he's producing. The Yankees are in it to win it right now - are they really going to be concerned about service years if Andujar is hitting well?

Maybe that's an overly simplistic way of looking at it, but to me it's the most logical. Of course this all hinges on him actually producing, but if he does, I can't see them sending him back down in a few weeks, in a year where they're pushing for a World Series. 

It's not a few weeks. It's Thursday of this week.  Andujar is going to be up 3 whole games.  That's not going to be enough to change their minds.  And it has nothing to do with service time.

1 hour ago, MrBrown said:

It's not a few weeks. It's Thursday of this week.  Andujar is going to be up 3 whole games.  That's not going to be enough to change their minds.  And it has nothing to do with service time.

I took a flyer - Ellsbury isn't guaranteed to be back Thursday.  And to miss out on a top prospect hitting in that lineup is unacceptable to me!

1 hour ago, jahweedum said:

I took a flyer - Ellsbury isn't guaranteed to be back Thursday.  And to miss out on a top prospect hitting in that lineup is unacceptable to me!

There's a definite chance he stays.  It's kinda disappointing to me because I became a big fan of Tyler Wade and wanted to see him play everyday.  He might've just lost his starting job after 3 games.  We'll see what happens.  If you have room for Andujar definitely grab him.

Apparently Cashman wavered a bit when pressed on if Ellsbury would be back on April 5th (Thursday). Seemed to be some uncertainty and considering Ellsbury's injury history and fragile body I could easily see that timetable being moved back. 

The bat has been MLB ready for a while now, the thing that made the Yankees hesitate to give him the 3B job out of ST was his defense. He has a great arm and he's a great athlete but he'll often botch the routine play right before making a spectacular one.

7 hours ago, MrBrown said:

Maybe you're right, but if it's literally just about having a warm body for 3 days, why wouldn't they just call up some quad-A guy like Jace Peterson to sit on the bench, and keep the same starting lineup they've played the last game or two?

Why call up your 3B of the future if you have no intentions of letting him play his way into the lineup every day?

46 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

Maybe you're right, but if it's literally just about having a warm body for 3 days, why wouldn't they just call up some quad-A guy like Jace Peterson to sit on the bench, and keep the same starting lineup they've played the last game or two?

Why call up your 3B of the future if you have no intentions of letting him play his way into the lineup every day?

Because Jace Peterson is not on the 40-man roster and there's no one to remove.  http://m.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/roster/40-man/

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

It was either Andujar or Gleybar or a third C in Higashioka. They literally have no other healthy bats on the 40-man roster.  Trying to find a spot for Peterson on the 40-man would be a problem.

• Thanks 1

Feel the uncertainty for his role and time makes him a tough add in shallow mixed leagues.  I'm reluctant to drop someone like Yonder Alonso but the keeper potential is tempting.

Man, this guy is really putting me in a pickle! I want to pick him up and ride with him, but I'm not sure where his point is. Is he worth it over a guy like Ryon Healy? Maybe. Kevin Kiermaier? Probably not.  Ryan McMahon? Maybe? 

7 hours ago, absknicks said:

Apparently Cashman wavered a bit when pressed on if Ellsbury would be back on April 5th (Thursday). Seemed to be some uncertainty and considering Ellsbury's injury history and fragile body I could easily see that timetable being moved back. 

The bat has been MLB ready for a while now, the thing that made the Yankees hesitate to give him the 3B job out of ST was his defense. He has a great arm and he's a great athlete but he'll often botch the routine play right before making a spectacular one.

i thought they said they wanted ellsbury to get like 50-55 AB in a rehab assignment

He missed driving out a HR to RF by just a few feet.  He will play well in Yankee Stadium.

• Like 1

What is his potential? Worth holding like Judge last year through tough times?