Lebanasty

Miguel Andujar 2018 Outlook

9 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Don'cha find it funny that a so-called New York Yankee fan suggests that the Yankees might send down Miguel Andujar to the minors to make room for Brandon Drury?

Maybe we trade didi and move Torres to short? Or just DFA Didi and let the historically elite Drury take his roster spot. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Am thinking that this is an excellent time to sell high and am trying to do so wherever I own him. I like him, and there's no way he's going back to the minors, but Drury returning means he'll probably see a cut in playing time to maybe 4-5 times a week instead of 6. It's a big enough drop to harm his value pretty significantly, but maybe not big enough to set off alarm bells with some of the less involved owners in your leagues. 

2 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

Over the past 10 games andujar is slashing .400/.415/.875 with 3hr and 10 doubles. 

He's definitely on the verge of a demotion.. 

but but but he cant draw walks

1 hour ago, justinkrezzy said:

Am thinking that this is an excellent time to sell high and am trying to do so wherever I own him. I like him, and there's no way he's going back to the minors, but Drury returning means he'll probably see a cut in playing time to maybe 4-5 times a week instead of 6. It's a big enough drop to harm his value pretty significantly, but maybe not big enough to set off alarm bells with some of the less involved owners in your leagues. 

Smart teams like to give their prized rookies as many reps as possible to let them develop.  It would surprise me if they are giving Drury AB’s at Andujar’s expense for the sake of getting Drury AB’s. 

1 hour ago, justinkrezzy said:

If Andujar keeps hitting, he’ll be the every day 3B. Drury will strictly be a bench player. + Drury can play some 2B too.

Drury is competent in positions around the field. He’s not going to take Andujar’s spot because he’ll find some semi-regular ABs elsewhere. 

Andujar has nearly a .600 SLG.  He'll have to quit hitting like that to lose any sort of playing time.  It seems more likely that he will move up in the order than lose PT.

Now that I've had time to sleep and cool down from last night, I'm not saying MrBrown is wrong that he heard (probably from their TV broadcasts or radio) that they like Drury (what the source is would be good to know though).  It's not that I've decided what will happen.  I was just saying what should happen, and that is Andujar stays up and is still the starting 3B even when Drury is activated.  I've yet to actually watch him play in the field since I don't have any Yankees pitchers, but even with the mini-cold streak before last night's 2-4 game, I can't see any team stop playing a guy and demote him when he's doing what he is doing with the bat.  Regardless of him not taking walks, which plenty of other quality hitters don't, he's leading all rookies in doubles and is honestly not striking out that much in comparison to some other young hitters.

We'll see what happens obviously, but hopefully like Toronto did with Teoscar Hernandez, they realize that continuing to start Andujar is the smartest move regardless of his defense.  Again, he has nothing left to prove in the minors.

Edited by KilloWertz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 80version said:

Smart teams like to give their prized rookies as many reps as possible to let them develop.  It would surprise me if they are giving Drury AB’s at Andujar’s expense for the sake of getting Drury AB’s. 

'

I think many are underestimating the degree to which the Yankees like Drury. We've seen that Cashman likes to identify overlooked guys in other orgs, acquire them, and then give them very long looks, as he's done with Hicks and Gregorius. Given the success of those two, I'm inclined to think the Yankees have confidence that Drury is a legitimate first division regular. 

Now, will Drury supplant Andujar as starting third baseman? No. That's ludicrous. But even if Drury acts as super-sub, I'll bet that most of his starts come at third, given that Cashman has come out and publicly said, "We think his best position is third base." Maybe he gets one, two starts a week at third? And maybe during one of those, days, someone else will already be DHing, meaning Andujar doesn't play? It's very easy to imagine a scenario where Andujar remains the starter but loses enough plate appearances to hurt his value. 

Of course, this is all for naught if Drury can't get over his migraines

If only Boone would stop batting him so low in the lineup.  Another big night tonight, only to have very little in the way of any counting stats.

Obviously loving the batting average, but more counting stats would be nice.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

If only Boone would stop batting him so low in the lineup.  Another big night tonight, only to have very little in the way of any counting stats.

6th would be nice.  

I think the highest you'll see him hit is 7th. He's not a great OBP guy and I can't see him surpassing Hicks in the order anytime soon. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

I agree from a fantasy point if you own Andujar ....

but come on you should know Miguel is not moving up in the batting order.

18 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

I know he's not getting into any of the 1-5 spots, which is obviously understandable, but he could hit 6th.  Hicks really isn't anything special, but give how Hicks still gets on base at a high clip, Andujar should not be batting below 7th ever and at least it gives Andujar RBI opps on his doubles.  Good game last night aside, Neil Walker batting ahead of Andujar is hilarious.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

I know he's not getting into any of the 1-5 spots, which is obviously understandable, but he could hit 6th.  Hicks really isn't anything special, but give how Hicks still gets on base at a high clip, Andujar should not be batting below 7th ever and at least it gives Andujar RBI opps on his doubles.  Good game last night aside, Neil Walker batting ahead of Andujar is hilarious.

I see nothing wrong with the batting order, things are clicking for the Yankees. Whether Andujar hits 7th or 8th doesn’t matter. If Miguel is hitting he will drive & score runs no matter where Boone slots him.

In case you didn’t know Miguel has hit 7th two out of the four games but each time Walker batted in front of Miguel. I believe in the manager, as long as the Yankees are winning he can pick the batting order out of a hat...

The fantasy owner is always right 

3 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

I see nothing wrong with the batting order, things are clicking for the Yankees. Whether Andujar hits 7th or 8th doesn’t matter. If Miguel is hitting he will drive & score runs no matter where Boone slots him.

In case you didn’t know Miguel has hit 7th two out of the four games but each time Walker batted in front of Miguel. I believe in the manager, as long as the Yankees are winning he can pick the batting order out of a hat...

I dont worry as much about batting order spots in the AL as I do the NL especially in a good lineup and good park.  Its when your the 7th hitter in an NL team, you have a week 8th hitter then the pitchers spot after that.  Really think that puts a damper on your players ability to score runs, also when they are up in critical RBI opps, maybe base open etc with weak hitters behind, makes it more likely to get pitched around.   Obviously would love to see him 4-5th but at least take some solace that it could be a lot worse in that same batting spot in the NL

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shakestreet said:

All true except for the fact that Walker has been horrible and still shouldn't be batting ahead of Andujar when he plays.  That's pretty much all I'm saying.  Even though he has decent counting stats overall, the lack of more is just something I noticed while looking at his game logs last night.  The amount of hits (and extra base hits) Andujar has had over the last two weeks, he really should be a counting stats monster.  I realize he's not going to move up much, and possibly even moving up just one spot to 7th on a regular basis may not mean much, but it's still true that a hitter hitting like Andujar should not be batting behind a guy that is hitting .181 no matter how good the team is playing right now.

What matters the most in the end is that Andujar continues to play once they get healthy obviously.  All of this came about basically just from an observation from looking at his game logs, and I was just pointing out that it would be great if he could move up in the lineup given how he has hit.  That is true regardless of how the team is hitting, but I know he's not moving up to the heart of the order or anything like that.  It's more wishful thinking than anything, although I still stand by the fact that he should be moved up at least one spot.

Only 1 game but he made several great defensive plays last night. Saved at least a run. Might be able to drop that defense is gonna cost him PT narrative soon?

• Like 5

On 4/29/2018 at 8:33 AM, shakestreet said:

Yeah, because nobody in their right mind would ever move Neil Walker and his .417 OPS down in the order...

I could also see them putting Hicks and his .406 OBP in the leadoff role and move Gardner and his .603 OPS (with .333 OBP) down to 9th where he is still hitting in front of Judge and Stanton on the wraparound.

They could also re-think the batting order if/when they start using Drury over Walker more (since Walker has been awful) and bat Drury behind Andujar.

If he keeps this up he could and should be hitting 6th.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Only 1 game but he made several great defensive plays last night. Saved at least a run. Might be able to drop that defense is gonna cost him PT narrative soon?

Yep, and he's above average defensively according to the defensive metrics.

• Like 1

He needs to move up for counting stats. Right now he is just empty average with little to no power 

Edited by Dr. Whom