Lebanasty

Miguel Andujar 2018 Outlook

On 7/7/2018 at 11:53 AM, dicka24 said:

I think Andujar has made a possible pursuit of Machado this offseason a real question. Would you prefer to spend $200 or so million on Machado, when u have Andujar for another 5 or 6 years?  It's a legit question I think.   The Yanks could always flip Andujar for controllable pitching if they did.   Personally I think Andujar is legit.  He squares the ball extremely well and should only get better.

Actually, I think there is zero chance Andujar is moved.  He is a rookie and under long term control.  The guy the Yanks might look to move to make room for Machado is Gregorius imo.    Didi is a free agent after the 2019 season and they could in theory trade him in the off season while his value is fairly high and sign Machado to go play SS for them.  Why pay Didi something like 20M a season on a 3-5 year deal when you can get Machado for maybe 30M(?) on a 5(?) year deal?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

Actually, I think there is zero chance Andujar is moved.  He is a rookie and under long term control.  The guy the Yanks might look to move to make room for Machado is Gregorius imo.    Didi is a free agent after the 2019 season and they could in theory trade him in the off season while his value is fairly high and sign Machado to go play SS for them.  Why pay Didi something like 20M a season on a 3-5 year deal when you can get Machado for maybe 30M(?) on a 5(?) year deal?

I think that's a possibility.  My buddy and I actually talked about this a couple of times too.  I just don't know how Machado's defense at SS is, and whether or not he could pass muster there for 5 years.  I'm not saying he isn't good there, or can't stick.  I honestly don't know. 

As for Didi, I've seen the Segura deal floated for him as  possible framework for an extension.  I think his was something like 5 years and $75 million.   With contracts in baseball being in a corrective state, I have no idea if Didi is a $15m per year player, or $20m.  I think young players will still get paid, and older players are the one's who's deals will be tempered somewhat, so Didi should see good coin imo, 

From a defensive standpoint, the difference between Didi and Machado at SS is astronomical. Didi is one of the 3 best defensive shortstops in baseball... Machado is putting up some of the worst defensive numbers we've ever witnessed at the position. No chance the Yankees do that.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/13/yankees-privately-are-not-high-on-miguel-andujar-rival-execs/amp/

The title implies that rival execs think they Yankees aren't satisfied with Andujar. The entire article is basically Cashman denying that and talking him up. Compares him to Cano coming up in terms of growing into the player they feel he'll become.

The question is, is Cashman further posturing here to make Andujar seem more valuable than they believe him to be in order to get a better deal somewhere?

Edited by Lebanasty
a word

On 7/8/2018 at 12:03 PM, secretagentman said:

And Machado is 2 years younger. And as MM ages the Yankees could move Torres to short and MM to third down the line.

Its easy to say this and that will or won't happen. Thing is none of us really know. In a little over two weeks or less we will know.

what makes you think machado is taking a 5 year deal?

im not super high on didi either.  id rather let him walk and move torres to SS and keep andujar at third and bird at first.  then you really only have 2b to worry about. they really dont need another bat...id rather spend the money on the next max scherzer to hit the market (bauer,degrom in 2 years) or snell in like 4 or something

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, einstein2u said:

What's Andujar's ceiling this year? Next year?  Beginning to wonder why I'm holding him

He is slashing 

.279 .316

This year at 23 yrs old with a .210 ISO. Look at his career numbers at every level and note he improved every year after stuggling the year prior. Cash and Co know what they have in this guy, he will develop into an above average MLB 3b.

Season Team G PA HR R RBI SB BB% K% ISO BABIP AVG OBP SLG wOBA wRC+ BsR Off Def WAR
2012 Yankees (R) 50 191 1 21 19 1 6.8 % 19.4 % .068 .288 .232 .288 .299 .285 80        
2013 Yankees (R) 34 144 4 18 25 4 4.9 % 14.6 % .173 .358 .323 .368 .496 .405 152        
2014 Yankees (A) 127 527 10 75 70 5 6.6 % 15.7 % .130 .302 .267 .318 .397 .327 99        
2015 Yankees (A+) 130 520 8 54 57 12 5.6 % 17.3 % .120 .282 .243 .288 .363 .309 98        
2016 Yankees (A+) 58 251 10 34 41 1 7.2 % 12.0 % .191 .289 .283 .343 .474 .379 139        
2016 Yankees (AA) 72 319 2 28 42 2 6.6 % 13.2 % .092 .296 .266 .323 .358 .311 89        
2017 Yankees (AA) 67 272 7 30 52 2 4.4 % 14.0 % .182 .338 .312 .342 .494 .367 126        

Yanks gotta get Sanchez and Turd more at bats?  Is actually hitting consistently frowned upon for Yanks?  Miggy should swap spots with Sanchez.  

Edited by Cmilne23

3 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Yanks gotta get Sanchez and Turd more at bats?  Is actually hitting consistently frowned upon for Yanks?  Miggy should swap spots with Sanchez.  

Turd?  Bird is a better hitter than your hero Andujar.

It is absurd that Sanchez is hitting ahead of both of them though.

3 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

I don’t even own Andujar just bet big on Yanks today haha.  I just couldn’t believe this guy is hitting 8th still.  I watch a lot games and seems like whenever I tune into Yanks games he’s either hitting or giving a competitive at bat.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Bird is better than Andujar at hitting?

Prove it.

On 7/23/2018 at 7:54 PM, Cmilne23 said:

I don’t even own Andujar just bet big on Yanks today haha.  I just couldn’t believe this guy is hitting 8th still.  I watch a lot games and seems like whenever I tune into Yanks games he’s either hitting or giving a competitive at bat.

Andujar just hit his 30th double this year

he missed it earlier on a reviewed play, and got robbed for a single up the middle.  still 2 more hits.

i think he can even increase his power going forward.

but still, 30 doubles with 2+ months left is pretty impressive from a rookie who wasnt super highly regarded on most prospects lists

• Like 1

Having a great rookie season. Hits for high average with pop in a great lineup, ballpark and division to hit in at a premium position. Dynasty gold 

• Like 1

He has over taken Torres for ROY . Making the Yankees look smart for not moving him to get Machado . Although we will NEVER know what would have happened . I own him in three leagues and couldn't be happier.

• Like 2

No chance DiDi gets $20 mil per.  He also won’t yield as much as Andujar in a trade. Andujar should be a DH anyway 

also Machado won’t sign a 5 year deal.  More like 7-8

Edited by Ratso1022

I'd love to see Machado in a Yankees uniform next year, but this kid might make that a luxury more than a necessity.   He does need to improve his defense.  He's not atrocious in the field so he could become a solid/servicable glove at the position with time and practice.  Love the bat.

1 hour ago, dicka24 said:

I'd love to see Machado in a Yankees uniform next year, but this kid might make that a luxury more than a necessity.   He does need to improve his defense.  He's not atrocious in the field so he could become a solid/servicable glove at the position with time and practice.  Love the bat.

I just want to see them put him in the middle of their lineup next season and leave him there.

He's actually been hitting good pretty much all season, but you don't notice it all the time because of the lack of counting stats.  Obviously right now that hasn't been a problem since he's been hitting in the middle of the order with their injuries, and it's hard not to take notice when the counting stats are pouring in.  It's become pretty obvious of late that the middle of the order is where he belongs.

Edited by KilloWertz

3 minutes ago, BxBOMBERs28 said:

Another bomb.. really love to see the power coming along like this. Yankees don’t need Machado 

yanks dont need machado

if didi leaves in 2020 you can just slide Torres to SS who is better defensively than machado anyway.

andujar is starting to look like a 290 30/100 guy.  he doesnt walk but niether does machado.  his defense just needs work.

if bird keeps playing like this, i could see them going after harper and playing him at 1b.  but i doubt that as well

2 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

yanks dont need machado

if didi leaves in 2020 you can just slide Torres to SS who is better defensively than machado anyway.

andujar is starting to look like a 290 30/100 guy.  he doesnt walk but niether does machado.  his defense just needs work.

if bird keeps playing like this, i could see them going after harper and playing him at 1b.  but i doubt that as well

1B would be much easier to fill than wasting money on Machado.  Can't believe I just said that about Machado, but in their case it's true.  Although I suppose they could make it work once their OF thins out next season if they let Gardner walk and just put Andujar at DH instead of an OF.  I'd obviously rather see him play in the field for positional eligibility, but it's an option the Yankees may consider.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2018 at 3:41 PM, dicka24 said:

He is atrocious in the field. Andujar should be their DH and # 5 hitter next year

Edited by Ratso1022