Lebanasty

Miguel Andujar 2018 Outlook

To me, Andujar's path is clear ... he just needs to hit.

Torres is probably coming, but that speaks more to the quagmire at 2B than Andujar's status at 3B.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Another 2 doubles yesterday.  I do agree with @motown magic and @JFS179, the Yankees really do like this guy.  They are in win-mode, so if he can produce I suspect they will continue to find him ABs.  If he doesn't, he'll be going back down to AAA, but that does not mean they still don't value him highly.  The plan, it seems, was for him to always start the year in AAA, but his call-up was expedited by the injuries.  Have faith.

11 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

To me, Andujar's path is clear ... he just needs to hit.

Torres is probably coming, but that speaks more to the quagmire at 2B than Andujar's status at 3B.

I totally disagree.   There is a reason they have been playing Torres, exclusively, at 3b for the past week.  They clearly want him to play 3b, ASAP, in the majors.   Torres has played a total of 12 games at 2b, in his whole career.  10 of those came early last season.   He has played 1 game there, this year.  The yankees have multiple options at 2b.  Walker, Wade, and Torreyes

Edited by rich22

Almost hit a grand slam yesterday.  Might be the last chance to buy in before the hype..

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rich22 said:

I totally disagree.   There is a reason they have been play Torres, exclusively, at 3b for the past week.  They clearly want him to play 3b, ASAP, in the majors

They 'exclusively' played Torres at SS the first series of the season.  Was that a sign he was taking over for Didi and pushing him to 2B?  No.

The Yankees should be ensuring Torres can play all over the infield as they could use him at any of 3 spots like the Cubs use Javy Baez, but I believe in Andujar hits, he'll stay in the lineup.

Torres, IMO, is more likely to take over for Torreyes/Walker/Wade/Austin in the lineup than Andujar (again, if Andujar continues to hit).

• Like 1

[Drop the tired 'hyped Yankees prospect' tangent]

5 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

They 'exclusively' played Torres at SS the first series of the season.  Was that a sign he was taking over for Didi and pushing him to 2B?  No.

The Yankees should be ensuring Torres can play all over the infield as they could use him at any of 3 spots like the Cubs use Javy Baez, but I believe in Andujar hits, he'll stay in the lineup.

Torres, IMO, is more likely to take over for Torreyes/Walker/Wade/Austin in the lineup than Andujar (again, if Andujar continues to hit).

Andujar can and will hit, the problem is he is a butcher in the field.   All the talk, here in NY, is that Torres is being groomed to come up to play 3b, by the weekend.  IF, the stiffness doesn't hold him back.   "first series" was just 3 games.   He played 3 at SS, and 1 at 2b.   SInce he has just played 3b.   I think the first 4 games they were still figuring it out.   Since his natural position is SS, they started him off there.   

Edited by rich22

If Torres is healthy and ready to go, this game should seal Andujar's fate, for time being.   Guys, there are 2 sides of the ball field.   He can't play the field.  Unless he can hit for 1.000 OPS he is a liability.  He cost us 3 on defense and got 1 back on offense.  Awful ratio.  As a fan, I am rooting for him, but he is not an everyday player, yet.   He is a net, minus MLB player, right now

Edited by rich22

6 hits in his last 12 ABs: 4 doubles, 1 triple, and a HR. 1 walk and 0 strikeouts. 

Obviously these are cherry picked, arbitrary end date numbers, but NYY would be silly to sit this guy or send him down right now. 

I can understand why we'd be zoned in on fantasy and offense though.  That would be because we get points for...... OFFENSE!  As long as he continues to play, that's all that matters for most of us.  Just picked him up because he's been hitting pretty good the last few games.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

I can understand why we'd be zoned in on fantasy and offense though.  That would be because we get points for...... OFFENSE!  As long as he continues to play, that's all that matters for most of us.  Just picked him up because he's been hitting pretty good the last few games.

This. We are in a fantasy baseball forum after all so offense and fantasy should be our # 1 focus. He isn't getting benched or being sent down because of his defense until maybe when Drury comes back which doesn't look like it will be any time soon. 

• Like 1

Well this is fantasy so I don't care about his defense as long as the Yanks don't and let him hit regularly. Scooped him up for some dead weight at end of bench to hopefully ride a hot streak. 

I do not agree that he’s a better hitter than Hicks, for as long as Hicks is healthy he will play.  Andujar doesn’t scream DH to me and if he loses the 3B job I think he’d get sent down, not plugged into DH only.

Hicks is also a much better defender than Stanton, for someone big on defesense that has to matter no?  Hicks’ problem is staying healthy, if he’s healthy he plays meaning DH is not available for an Andujar type.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Better than Drury and Torres is hurt. Andujar is young. Id let him work through it. 

His offense will pay huge dividends soon.

good point

2 minutes ago, richg24 said:

Hicks was on many sleeper lists this year, and in the games he has played he looked great. First game he was 2/4 then got injured ... first game back hit 2 jacks and next game after that 2 rbi's. super small sample, but he has looked great so far in terms of hitting. He is also a MUCH better outfielder than Stanton, so I don't see Hicks losing his spot at all. 

Andujar will stay at 3B unless they have a better option, which they do not. 

could be a day or a few days.  that option is very very soon