Sign in to follow this  
Fantasy Dork

Jurickson Profar 2018 Outlook

4 hours ago, Jericho said:

Saying Profar has no future on the Rangers seems a bit bizarre. He's still young, he has skills, and the Rangers stink. There's really no reason for the Rangers to just write him off. Now I'll grant you that he's best utilized at shortstop. And Andrus is a better fielder there and should play over him if he's on the roster. But that still leaves both 3B and 2B as possibilities.

I also find it weird you proclaim Kiner-Falefa as the solution as a utility infielder. He's been in the majors about 2 months total in his career and basically has done nothing in them. Now he can develop. And he does show promise. And the point is probably moot as Profar's not really going to be a utility guy. Or at least shouldn't be at this point in his career. But it's hardly like Kiner-Falefa is blocking Profar.

Considering how much the Rangers currently suck, there's no real reason they can't play both Profar and Odor. They should be playing younger players. Now that might mean benching some veterans, or hitting them at DH, or trading them. Beltre's contract is up after the year. Shin-Soo Choo should probably be moved, if at all possible. And even Andrus can opt out if he wants. So there are moves to be made.

It also wouldn't shock me in the short term if Profar takes over 2B for Odor. Odor has sucked for quite some time. His big money doesn't really kick in until next year, and the Rangers need to try and get him going again. It also seems the current manager prefers Profar over Odor. Not only has Profar been better, but he's hitting higher in the line-up. But outside of Mazara, Andrus, Beltre, and I'd also say Gallo, is there anyone else the Rangers really have to play at this point? Even Beltre can likely sit every so often. We'll see what the Rangers do, but I suspect Profar will find his at bats as long as he keeps up what he's doing.

Profar himself has stated repeatedly he doesn't want to play utility and was not good at it in previous stints in the utility role.  You can call this weird or bizarre, but Profar wants and deserves to be a franchise SS and the Rangers can't afford him this opportunity because Andrus has several years left in his prime.

3 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

Profar himself has stated repeatedly he doesn't want to play utility and was not good at it in previous stints in the utility role.  You can call this weird or bizarre, but Profar wants and deserves to be a franchise SS and the Rangers can't afford him this opportunity because Andrus has several years left in his prime.

I agree that Profar shouldn't be relegated to a utility role. I don't find it "weird" or "bizarre" at all. What I found weird and bizarre was your proclamation that: (1) Profar has "no future" on the Rangers; and that (2) Kiner-Falefa had taken the utility roles and it was basically filled up. Neither of which seem supported by any evidence. While Andrus is a good player and a better defender than Profar, you do realize he has the option to opt out of his deal after this season? So there's no guarantee Andrus is even on the Rangers. Even if he is, Profar has outperformed Odor and Beltre's a free agent. Which leaves two other infield positions available. And in the short term, they could just demote Kiner-Falefa, who has less than 2 months of big league experience and no MLB track record of doing anything.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I agree that Profar shouldn't be relegated to a utility role. I don't find it "weird" or "bizarre" at all. What I found weird and bizarre was your proclamation that: (1) Profar has "no future" on the Rangers; and that (2) Kiner-Falefa had taken the utility roles and it was basically filled up. Neither of which seem supported by any evidence. While Andrus is a good player and a better defender than Profar, you do realize he has the option to opt out of his deal after this season? So there's no guarantee Andrus is even on the Rangers. Even if he is, Profar has outperformed Odor and Beltre's a free agent. Which leaves two other infield positions available. And in the short term, they could just demote Kiner-Falefa, who has less than 2 months of big league experience and no MLB track record of doing anything.

This is the last time I will respond because I get it...you own Profar and want him to keep playing when Andrus returns, and platoon at 3B and 2B.  I disagree and don't think that will happen.  I'm a Rangers fan and see the team pretty close-up....Kiner-Falefa will not be demoted, he has been a revelation for them and will stick in a utility role where he thrives.  Profar has stated repeatedly that he wants to be an everyday SS either here or elsewhere.  He does not like to platoon nor is he good at it. 

11 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

This is the last time I will respond because I get it...you own Profar and want him to keep playing when Andrus returns, and platoon at 3B and 2B.  I disagree and don't think that will happen.  I'm a Rangers fan and see the team pretty close-up....Kiner-Falefa will not be demoted, he has been a revelation for them and will stick in a utility role where he thrives.  Profar has stated repeatedly that he wants to be an everyday SS either here or elsewhere.  He does not like to platoon nor is he good at it. 

Just out of a curiosity and as a rangers fan, how do you feel about how the rangers have handled Profar thus far? 

Seems to me that he has the talent to be an everyday player, but the rangers simply wont give him that opportunity.

Thoughts on what he could net in a real life trade?

1 minute ago, El_Chingon said:

Again, you seem to just be making straw man arguments and ignoring the points I'm making. I never said Profar has to platoon or wouldn't prefer playing shortstop. What I am saying is that the Rangers suck, and Profar's still just 25, and there's still some upside in his game despite years of injury and struggle. The idea that his at bats simply evaporate once Andrus comes back seems unsupported by any real evidence.

We're not talking about a contending team here. The idea that the Rangers can't find at bats for a young player seems laughable. They simply don't have that many good players. It's clear the team won't demote Profar, as he's out of options. The team could trade him, though the trade market is likely pretty cold since Profar hasn't proven a whole lot yet. This current run is some of his best major league work since before his injuries, so any team acquiring Profar is taking a risk themselves. So you could sell low on Profar, just not sure what Texas would get for him. But its possible. Or the team could try and see what it has. I would suggest 2B as a possible option since Odor's been so bad since the beginning of the 2017 season. But it's just one option, The team really should be playing Odor too. I just wouldn't rule out a minor league stint for Odor to try and "turn it around".

Anyhow, other than your self-proclamation of being a Ranger's fan, I'm not sure what you've added. I think you want us to give your words weight because of the team you root for. And it's clear you don't think Profar will continue to play regularly. But you never really say why. Apparently the Rangers are content getting sub-replacement level production from 2B for the past year plus and playing either aging veterans and or other unproven players at 1B/3B/DH or even the outfield. And even though the Rangers manager is playing Profar is a prime batting spot and Profar is outproducing many other players on the team, I guess I should take your word that Profar is simply persona non grata and is basically not welcome? I guess I'm choosing to take logic over the unsupported proclamation of a fan.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

Just out of a curiosity and as a rangers fan, how do you feel about how the rangers have handled Profar thus far? 

Seems to me that he has the talent to be an everyday player, but the rangers simply wont give him that opportunity.

Thoughts on what he could net in a real life trade?

First the injuries then they almost ruined him the past couple of years by jerking him around in a utility role (backup LF, backup 1B etc) and sending him up and down to the minors.  Last season there was an incident I think he refused to play down in Round Rock when they sent him down.  With Profar it's a mental thing, he needs the consistent at-bats and reps of playing every day at SS.  Some guys just aren't mentally suited for a utility role and it messes with their offensive mojo.  Rangers have to be hoping this strech of solid play will boost his trade value to bolster their rotation.

this guy frustrates me, I dropped him about 10 days ago, he hits two homers in three games, pick him back up, now he is batting 200 over the last week, I am ready to dump him again...

On 6/10/2018 at 10:09 AM, El_Chingon said:

First the injuries then they almost ruined him the past couple of years by jerking him around in a utility role (backup LF, backup 1B etc) and sending him up and down to the minors.  Last season there was an incident I think he refused to play down in Round Rock when they sent him down.  With Profar it's a mental thing, he needs the consistent at-bats and reps of playing every day at SS.  Some guys just aren't mentally suited for a utility role and it messes with their offensive mojo.  Rangers have to be hoping this strech of solid play will boost his trade value to bolster their rotation.

If and when he is traded I will pick him up. Great change of scenery candidate for a talented player who has never been given a clean chance at playing time. 

No way management would be dumb enough to bench this young stud at this point, right?

He's arrived, folks.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ZChronicNebula said:

No way management would be dumb enough to bench this young stud at this point, right?

Agreed. There's no way his bat is coming out of the lineup with Andrus coming back Monday.

1 hour ago, k.k. said:

Agreed. There's no way his bat is coming out of the lineup with Andrus coming back Monday.

I hope a move to OF doesn't screw with his head, and effects his approach at the plate. 

Can't he or Andrus play 2B....there is a foul odor emanating from there

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Send Odor to the minors.   

Or trade Andrus.

7 hours ago, ZChronicNebula said:

10 hours ago, kwelch said:

I hope a move to OF doesn't screw with his head, and effects his approach at the plate. 

Quote from Bannister:  ""With the ability to play short, second, third, he'll continue to get playing time," Banister said of Profar."

Looks like he will shift back to a utility role, a role in which he floundered the past 2 years.  He is in such a great rhythm offensively, if they can keep his bat in the daily lineup, maybe he will be more successful this time around.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Send Odor to the minors.   

Or trade Andrus.

Neither will happen.

4 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Send Odor to the minors.   

Or trade Andrus.

Despite other's opinions in this thread, I think both are at least possible. Doesn't mean either will happen, but I do believe one has to acknowledge the possibility.

With Andrus, he's clearly a good player and clearly of value to the team. The reason the Rangers would trade him is that he can opt out at the end of the season. If the team is convinced he'll do that, that essentially makes him a lame duck. Sure, he could re-sign with Texas, but it makes sense to maximize his value. And maybe you re-sign him in the offseason, a la the Yankees and Chapman. They netted Gleyber Torres for renting Chapman for a few months. That's not a realistic return of Andrus, but if they get the right deal and if Andrus is opting out anyway, it makes sense. So it could happen, but probably wouldn't happen, if at all, until late July.

With Odor, you need to get him going. Somehow. He's still owed $40.5 million (plus another $3 million if you buy out him last year). Which means a minimum of $43.5 million. And it's not just that Odor hasn't lived up to the deal. He's been below replacement level. For around 8 months straight. Miguel Sano basically had a few bad weeks a year after being an all-star and was sent to the Minors. You've heard rumblings of guys like Billingsley of Conforto being sent to the minors. And those guys were fantastic in 2017. Odor has sucked since 2017. If you believe throwing him out there every day in the majors is the way to get him going, then keep doing it. But the Rangers have tried that for 8+ months without success. At some point you have to wonder if there is a plan B. Which likely means a minor league stint, even if its meant to be temporary. Kind of a clear the head thing. Or I suppose you could temporarily bench him. That another tactic often used by managers.

The two biggest "holes" on the Rangers are at 2B and 1B. 2B is the easy swap, Profar for Odor. Give Odor a few weeks to try and work things out. When he comes back, someone will likely be hurt or traded or ineffective. Or you remove Guzman playing every day at 1B. You could player Profar there. Or you can shift Gallo back to 1B and play Profar in the OF. Or move Choo off DH into the OF and play Profar at DH. Or move Beltre off 3B to DH and play Profar at 3B. Lots of possibilities

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, kwelch said:

Post, post, post hype sleeper stats!

Lol but they want him to be a utility player. 

Just freaking trade him already 

22 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

As a Rangers fan, I would much prefer they trade Odor.  Yeah, I know.  If they could find anyone willing to take on that premature contract, Texas signed him to.  I've always been a big Profar fan.  It would truly suck, if they dealt him, after he finally started to produce.  Has been a long few years, with the shoulder issues, and failing to live up to #1 prospect status.  Would hate to see him go, now.  But, he deserves better than being jack of all trades/utility man, on a team with as many holes as Texas.  Just put him at one position, and let him be.

39 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

I think the realism is that there's not much of a trade market for Profar. He's too unproven for a contending to team to take a risk on and a bit older (25) and too experienced (over 4 years of service time by year's end) to be super desirable for a rebuilding team. He's already arbitration eligible, so if he's good, he'll get expensive quick and possibly walk in a couple years. If he's bad, there's no minor league options left. His defense at short isn't great either, so that's an open question as to where teams play him. He's perfect for a team not competing to give him at bats. Like the Rangers. But there's not a lot of incentive for a similarly bad team to acquire him unless they don't give up a lot. So it seems Texas would have to sell low to get rid of him. Which would be poor asset management. And potentially a terrible PR move if the trade blows up in their face.

I want to live in a world where Jurickson Profar routinely hits .300/.385 with 20+hr/20+sb with a tonne of walks, doubles, and clutch hits. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kwelch said:

Post, post, post hype sleeper stats!

Bannister said he's going to get him in the lineup 5 games a week as well, so I don't think Andrus's return dooms him. He played at 2B today, has covered for Andrus at SS, and has played some OF and 3B from what I hear (I don't watch many Ranger games). He certainly has the pedigree, so I believe this could be a legit breakout year for him. He'll play, even though Odor still somehow has a job and Andrus has returned.