Sign in to follow this  
fatbob166

Hyun-Jin Ryu 2018 Outlook

Man right when he was starting to look good too. I’ve seen a lot of Ryu’s starts and one thing I know is he can be a little girl when it comes to injuries. DL is almost certain with him. Then he will come back and not look the same all year. Lost season for the Dodgers. 

8 hours ago, The Dude81 said:

Man right when he was starting to look good too. I’ve seen a lot of Ryu’s starts and one thing I know is he can be a little girl when it comes to injuries. DL is almost certain with him. Then he will come back and not look the same all year. Lost season for the Dodgers. 

Hate to say it but agree 100% with all of this. I've had Ryu in his healthy stretches over the past few seasons & when he's right, he's a solid mid-rotation fantasy guy but he gets hurt once, he does not bounce back well at all. 

I'm obviously going to stash & hold but my hope is for one decent start upon return so I can shop him for help at whatever position I have a need at or the next flier SP who's hot at the time. 

26 minutes ago, rrrrich46 said:

Buehler? Anyone? Anyone? 

No one's holding out on you. Its 7 in the morning in LA/Phoenix so I doubt there's a treasure trove of info out there that can't be found by typing Ryu into your search engine. 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, rrrrich46 said:

Buehler? Anyone? Anyone? 

Just assume a DL stint, at least 10 days but likely 2-3 weeks. The 2 start week he was in line for next week, kiss it g'bye obviously. He walked off on his own so it's not a tear so not a season-ender but he's a softie so it'll be June till he can be used again.

Officially DLed with a groin strain. I think we can infer that that means the MRI didn’t show any surprises since they are still calling it a strain, but who knows. I saw a Spanish language tweet that said 6-8 weeks but I can’t find that confirmed anywhere and that seems a bit long. 

Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said Thursday that Hyun-Jin Ryu (groin) will be sidelined until the second half of the season. 

• Sad 1

It did not even look that bad kind of wild his groin tore from throwing a pitch.  

Heads up to those in deep leagues 

Left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu (left groin strain) (is) set to join the Dodgers’ Arizona Summer League affiliate during the Major League club’s upcoming road trip (which starts Monday).

• Like 2

Kershaw, Maeda, Stripling, Buehler, Wood, Hill

Not seeing a spot for Ryu? Guessing he comes back as a RP option? They would be foolish to pull Maeda or Stripling at this point

Ryu has proven he can't come out of the 'Pen in the past though hasn't he?  I think Stripling still goes back because of IP increase issues. 

7 hours ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Ryu has proven he can't come out of the 'Pen in the past though hasn't he?  I think Stripling still goes back because of IP increase issues. 

The same article I posted above said mattingly said they’d use a 6 man rotation temporarily. Between innings caps and injury histories it shouldn’t be long until there’s an issue. 

The problem is that the Dodgers already have 6 guys for their rotation and Ryu isn't even back yet.

Kershaw

Stripling

Maeda

Buehler

Wood

Hill

Ryu

I've been holding him on my DL in a deep league, but recently I've had some injuries pile up and now I'm wondering if it's time to drop.

The odds of all seven of those guys remaining healthy once Ryu is back are very slim. 

Maeda pitched out of the pen last night so there’s your spoiler alert. 

It may be that it was his throw day and the asb looming but he did it last year.

My guess is maeda goes to the pen first, followed by stripling if need be. Hill has been terrible though so they may feel that stripling should stick given he’s a cy young candidate. But this situation will likely solve itself via injury 

Edited by cyberer

1 hour ago, cyberer said:

Maeda pitched out of the pen last night so there’s your spoiler alert. 

It may be that it was his throw day and the asb looming but he did it last year.

My guess is maeda goes to the pen first, followed by stripling if need be. Hill has been terrible though so they may feel that stripling should stick given he’s a cy young candidate. But this situation will likely solve itself via injury 

Yeah but didn't Hill pitch out of the pen literally a day before?  This simple act can't be our only gauge for who will start post-ASB... or can it?  Geez this is frustrating.