SpecialFNK

Buy Low/Sell High 2018

On 4/25/2018 at 8:01 AM, My Dinner With Andre said:

Indeed.

It's more psychological than people let on.

I've become wary of signaling as well. Say for example I'm playing in a league with my friends. They know I'm no dope. So if I show interest in acquiring a player on one of their rosters the player immediately shoots up in price / becomes un-acquirable! That is to say, I'm signaling that said player is more valuable than currently perceived.

It's almost like poker. If you play like a shark, your leaguemates will treat you like a shark in trade negotiations. It'd probably behoove you to "lose a few hands", or to make a bad deal, only to later go for the kill when your leaguemates "let their guard down".

That's just been my experience. All leagues are different.

There are definitely some owners in my league that just won't trade with me.  It's a little odd, because it's not like I routinely fleece guys in trades.  I'd say I get the upper hand about 50% of the time.  I think it's just that my team is usually pretty good, so they figure I'm gonna get the best of them.

Ironically, the guy I traded Haniger and Bellinger for Julio Urias last year, is totally down to deal with me again this year. :lol:

Edited by 89Topps
  • Haha 1

Who else is left speechless by this piece?

https://www.fantasypros.com/2018/05/6-players-to-buy-low-sell-high-fantasy-baseball-week-6/

TLDR version: Five professional fantasy analysts are asked to name a good sell-high candidate. Four cite Jed Lowrie. One mentions Darby Swanson. So lazy. Who signs these guys' paychecks?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

https://www.fantasypros.com/2018/05/6-players-to-buy-low-sell-high-fantasy-baseball-week-6/

TLDR version: Five professional fantasy analysts are asked to name a good sell-high candidate. Four cite Jed Lowrie. One mentions Darby Swanson. So lazy. Who signs these guys' paychecks?

What's the issue?

Just now, The Waker said:

What's the issue?

Probably that recommending a sell-high on Lowrie is like recommending eating breakfast in the morning.  Sure, someone may not have known that food is good for you before a day of work but who are you really writing for? 

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, The Waker said:

What's the issue?

It's a lazy crap article. Who the hell is buying Lowrie for a price that makes it worth selling? With Jed you might have to just hold onto him or you'll have to settle for something that's far beneath what you're probably able to get from his current production. It's the level of crappy insight and analysis that might have been passable a decade ago, but for it being 2018 it was really awful. 

• Like 1

Completely agree with above posters. For the amount of analysts I've seen saying sell Lowrie for anything, I'd actually be looking to buy him for a shot he's actually improved. 

id drop lowrie just to move up in the waiver priority if i new someone with a high waiver would add him

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

The guy that gets his junk cut off in Law Abiding Citizen?!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

fantasypros writers don't get paid

Trying to sell high on Luis Severino lately. Not because I dont wan't Sevy, but because I want a better bat that I couldn't get before. 

As far as lows go, I got my eyes on Adalberto Mondesi. He's currently hitting .368 with 4 runs, 2 homers, 3 rbis, and 3 steals in 4 games since he got activated from DL and sent to Triple A. It's only a matter of time before he's called up and given a healthy allotment of playing time. Keep him on your radars. 

I think buying LoMo stock is starting to rise.  If you can still get him on the cheap, he looks like he is waking from his slumber.  Remember he had a late start to ST because of when he signed.  May have taken him some extra ABs to start to find his groove.

dare I say sell-high on Scherzer?

Hasn't made 7 innings in four straight starts. Mad Max is perhaps going too mad trying to strike everyone out resulting into too many pitches. Lots of wear & tear on his arm from over the years. Idk I just have a weird feeling.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ZChronicNebula said:

Hasn't made 7 innings in four straight starts. Mad Max is perhaps going too mad trying to strike everyone out resulting into too many pitches. Lots of wear & tear on his arm from over the years. Idk I just have a weird feeling.

Please join my league

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ZChronicNebula said:

Ride or die with the Scherzinator imo. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZChronicNebula said:

I hate strikeouts too. Yucky. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

any one interested in wil myers  oblique injuries suck and can kill a a season, but 30/20 guys don't grow on trees 

Honestly thinking about selling high on Box.  Dbacks are having a great year, and he's been great himself, I just don't see him holding up all season long, health-wise.

Buy low: Byron Buxton. He’s due back any day now. His value has greatly diminshed since the preseason hype, but the ability is there. 

1 hour ago, Akecheta said:

Buy low: Byron Buxton. He’s due back any day now. His value has greatly diminshed since the preseason hype, but the ability is there. 

Why would someone hold him while he's injured and sell low right when he's about to come back? Wouldn't the time to buy low have been when he got hurt? He's going to get people excited again and I'd imagine his price is pretty normal. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Why would someone hold him while he's injured and sell low right when he's about to come back? Wouldn't the time to buy low have been when he got hurt? He's going to get people excited again and I'd imagine his price is pretty normal. 

True...but then again, his value will only increase from here, when he's healthy. 

Sell High on Hanley Ramirez? 

This guy might be the best WW pick up thus far in my league & would love to flip him for a better SP. 

I thought I bought low on Chris Taylor but he just got dropped to 6th In the order so apparently there’s always room to go lower....

On 5/7/2018 at 2:00 AM, Akecheta said:

True...but then again, his value will only increase from here, when he's healthy. 

Only if your league rewards good defense.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2018 at 2:00 AM, Akecheta said:

Exactly. So then why would someone sell low? Derp. 

• Like 1