SpecialFNK

Buy Low/Sell High 2018

3 hours ago, handyandy86 said:

Nimmo being a good sell high candidate all hinges on him not being this good, which is hard to back up when you look deeper into his stats and metrics.  He has a 15% walk rate, a very sustainable .337 BABIP (his career MLB and AA/AAA BABIP is even higher than this), his HR/FB% is not outrageous at all at 16.3%, he's hitting a lot more flyballs than he used to, his Hard% is up to 44.4% . . . etc etc

Basically he's not your classic "hot streak" guy in that he's hitting with unsustainable peripherals - everything he's doing is sustainable.  And just to be clear, I'm not talking about the last week's sample size, I'm talking about his 2018 as a whole.  

On the flip side, if you believe that he is a good hitter after looking under the hood, Nimmo might be a smart buy high.  You might find an owner who picked him up off the wire a couple weeks ago and thinks he's all smart cashing in Nimmo for some yawn-inducing veteran, like McCutcheon mentioned earlier, with a more proven track record.

To be sure, just be cause he doesnt have a 40% K/PA and .500 BABIP doesn't automatically mean his hot streak is sustainable.

They said Didi's improvement in performance -- ie, plate discipline, batted ball profile -- was sustainable too 

• Like 2

Was able to score Hoskins in a keeper league for pretty low. Not that my situation even matters, but I was wondering how you folks see him ROS?

Could be a solid target for anybody wanting a potential huge bat down the line.

36 minutes ago, 10giz said:

Was able to score Hoskins in a keeper league for pretty low. Not that my situation even matters, but I was wondering how you folks see him ROS?

Could be a solid target for anybody wanting a potential huge bat down the line.

I think he and Bellinger are similar right now as they’re both just struggling to adjust back at the pitchers that have adjusted to them.  I know Bellinger is getting beat by the high fastball consistently and Hoskins may be a similar situation.  I’ve been trying to buy both low in my dynasty league but no ones budging.  Both are a small adjustment away from being what we had expected going into the year.

1 hour ago, Gauthmann44 said:

Sell high options...thoughts?

Mikolas

Musgrove

Brantley 

As with every player, it depends what you can get. I'm confident Mikolas and Brantley will be valuable moving forward, but probably not as valuable as they've been. Might not be a bad time to try pocketing the difference if an owner is buying them as elite options. 

6 hours ago, Gauthmann44 said:

Sell high options...thoughts?

Mikolas

Musgrove

Brantley 

Brantley's pitch recognition has been pretty amazing this season, reminiscent of his stellar 2014 campaign, but history has proven thats its just a matter of waiting for the next injury to arise.  As stated above ^ if you can get an owner to buy into this healthy studly version of Brantley then I would try and flip him to maximize the value before the inevitable trip to the DL veers its ugly head. 

Mikolas also has shown very well thus far, maintaining greater velocity than that of any of his other state-side campaigns, but questions about how he holds up over the span of an entire season are legitimate having played the last several seasons in the shorter season Japanese league.  I would be actively shopping him more than the other 2 on this list.

Musgrove I'm hangin' onto.  The velocity increase from last year looks real. Between the park and "stuff" he seems poised to take a giant step forward.  I'm buying a breakout here.  

Hope this helps. Good luck

16 hours ago, Zig Zag said:

Do you think Cespedes' return will have any impact on Nimmo's playing time moving forward?

Who knows, but if the Mets were smart about it then Cespedes would be eating into other players' PT, and not Nimmo.  Jay Bruce is hitting really poorly, and A-Gonz is hitting even worse at 1B.  Bruce could hit the pine, or Bruce could swing down to 1B and A-Gonz rides the pine.  Conforto is only hitting .232.  Nimmo's OPS eclipses everyone else on the team by a wide margin, not to mention he's the only half suitable leadoff hitter they have.

Logically Nimmo should be safe, but realistically I don't think the Mets have said anything about what their plans are.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BackyardBaseball said:

Goldschmidt is back.  Last chance to buy low is now if you can.

I wouldn't imagine anyone is giving him away for much less than his typical value at this point.  Probably would take a 2nd rounder at least.

1 hour ago, BackyardBaseball said:

That ship has sailed

On 6/5/2018 at 3:47 PM, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Anyone buying low on Cody Bellinger? 

Saw him traded for Miggy/Cervelli last week. The dude who had Bellinger said Miggy was a better value and wanted to shake his team up. Might have worked as the rest of his roster played scared the next couple of days.

Sell Albies.  I’m trying to package him to a Kris Bryant owner who is tired of him not hitting dongs.

On 6/3/2018 at 1:28 PM, My Dinner With Andre said:

Might want to unload your Nimmo shares while the going's good.

Well, so much for that.

Gotta strike while the iron's hot!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BackyardBaseball said:

Last chance was last week.

23 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Well, so much for that.

Gotta strike while the iron's hot!

What happened to Nimmo?

1 minute ago, 2ndCitySox said:

What happened to Nimmo?

He's 1 for his last 16 with 8 strikeouts?

Literally cannot "sell high" when a guy is in the middle of a 1-fer whatever stretch.

• Like 1

How much of a sell high is Brandon Crawford? Is he someone people just won't pay for, or should he be warranting some pretty good offers right now?

13 minutes ago, desert86 said:

How much of a sell high is Brandon Crawford? Is he someone people just won't pay for, or should he be warranting some pretty good offers right now?

Depending on league of course, but doubt you could get much for him.  If you believe its real, youre better off trading a more well known MI and hanging on.  If you dont believe, chances are your league mates wont either....

• Thanks 1

On 2018-06-06 at 8:28 PM, My Dinner With Andre said:

He's 1 for his last 16 with 8 strikeouts?

Literally cannot "sell high" when a guy is in the middle of a 1-fer whatever stretch.

So Nimmo was going to sell at a huge profit, but then he had a poor 4 game stretch and his value plummeted? 

Now he's hitting .333 with a HR, 2 R, and an RBI in his last 3, and he's batting 3rd tonight, so he must be back to being a sell high. Heck, if he hits a couple dingers tonight maybe I can find someone fickle enough to trade me a stud. 

4 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Window for buying low on Desmond is closing rapidly.

Only reason why I still hesitate to buy Desmond is because before today he was still batting .189 in the last 14 days and .235 in the last 30.  Granted he was definitely putting up some power but he is still a big drag on AVG and OBP.

7 minutes ago, Zig Zag said:

Only reason why I still hesitate to buy Desmond is because before today he was still batting .189 in the last 14 days and .235 in the last 30.  Granted he was definitely putting up some power but he is still a big drag on AVG and OBP.

His BABIP was way below his career norms, think he ends up at .230 or so.  That's .250 from here to the end of the season.