miasma16

End of Season Fantasy Awards 2018

Piggybacking on @s-kayos's thread from last year.

Fantasy MVP: Brow. He was on the most Top 500 teams in roto (and 2nd in H2H) and he was the first pick of every team he was on. The #1 player in fantasy by a good distance with a line of 1-28-11-2-1.5-2.5 on 50/80+ shooting, he runs away with this one.

Fantasy MIP: Oladipo. What a bounceback, after I awarded him disappointment of the year last season! Not drafted particularly late after finishing outside the Top 100 on Y! last year, Vic paid off and then some, ranking as the #7 player in the NBA and leading the league with 2.3 steals per game.

Waiver Wire Pickup of the Year: This one can go a million ways. Spencer Dinwiddie is my runner-up. I'll take Terry Rozier and his slightly better FG%. He sent a lot of teams to the H2H finals with his 8 trey, 33-5-3-5-0-1 performance on 12/16 shooting.

Fantasy DPotY: Brow. Leading the league in blocks is a big part of the reason he's the fantasy MVP.

Biggest disappointment: The consensus #1 pick in drafts (don't bother arguing, it's a fact), Westbrook has taught his owners (especially in roto leagues) a lesson they won't soon forget. The reigning MVP finishes the season ranked 17th (down from 6th last year). He sports a healthy 25 ppg (6 off his average from last year), a disappointment that can be stomached. What couldn't? His 73% shooting at the line on high volume, after carrying owners in that category with 85% shooting on double-digit attempts.

Fantasy Coach/Exec of the Year: Chad Buchanan. A week after being appointed the team's new GM, Buchanan completed a trade for Victor Oladipo, and signed Darren Collison the next day, returning them both to Indiana. The team has kept Thaddeus Young, expected to be long gone, and sit a game out of 3rd in the East, far better than anyone expected. Imagine what this team would be doing with a full season of a healthy and confident Myles Turner, something that can't be blamed on Buchanan.

• Like 3

MVP - Agree with Davis, but shoutouts to KAT and Lillard. Those guys play all the time and ill be bumping them up my draft board next year.

MIP - Oladipo's the obvious choice again, but Ill give love to Drummond. Can draft now without tanking ft's in mind.

WW pickup - Donovan Mitchell! I drafted him with my last pick but were 14 teams deep so he was a WW pickup for most, I assume. Cook gets the nod as well for performing so well down the stretch.

Disappointment: Kawhi lol. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

i guess its no coincidence that I have MIP and MVP of AD and Dipo and in the championship week.

Here's mine:

MVP- AD

MIP - Dipo, honorable mention Capela/J-Rich

ROY - Simmons/Mitchell

WW - Mitchell

Bust - Kawhi, Avery Bradley, Chriss, Whiteside, Gallinari 

Comeback/bounce back - Tyreke when healthy, honorable mention - Drummond, Aldridge, Thad Young

• Thanks 1

Agree with OP except for:

WW pickup - Good ol' Tyreke Evans. The highest ranked player in 9-cat (#45) who was available on the wire at any point this season.  

Biggest Disappointment: Kawhi has to be the biggest disappointment not just this year, but in the history of fantasy basketball. Maybe the history of fantasy sports in general. Has there ever been a bigger 1st round bust?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

MVP: Anthony Davis easy choice

MIP: Oladipo returned borderline 1st round value all season

WW: few good candidates here, it between Dinwiddie and Mitchell... Rozier only has come on really good last couple weeks with Kyrie out. D and M have been doing all season.

7 minutes ago, Kaboom said:

WW pickup - Good ol' Tyreke Evans. The highest ranked player in 9-cat (#45) who was available on the wire at any point this season.  

Biggest Disappointment: Kawhi has to be the biggest disappointment not just this year, but in the history of fantasy basketball. Maybe the history of fantasy sports in general. Has there ever been a bigger 1st round bust?

Evans is sitting at 97th in season totals. I have to consider all the games he missed for end of season awards.

Mitchell is 42nd

Dinwiddie is 59th

12 minutes ago, brosephd said:

i guess its no coincidence that I have MIP and MVP of AD and Dipo and in the championship week.

Here's mine:

MVP- AD

MIP - Dipo, honorable mention Capela/J-Rich

ROY - Simmons/Mitchell

WW - Mitchell

Bust - Kawhi, Avery Bradley, Chriss, Whiteside, Gallinari 

Comeback/bounce back - Tyreke when healthy, honorable mention - Drummond, Aldridge, Thad Young

Simmons gets the RoY. Not close to me

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Kaboom said:

I found someone that didn't take Gilbert Arenas in 2007-08. Almost an identical situation, except that I had to suffer through that one :|

MVP..agree, have to give it to AD..I have him on my team and can say first hand, he just anchors your team

MIP..Vic is definitely up there but I have to show some love to Steven Adams..he was great

Disappointment...I think a lot of Turner owners were a little pissed.

WW pickup....Mitchell touched my wire a few times in the beginning. ..Lauri M was another big one

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JLoson0550 said:

MVP..agree, have to give it to AD..I have him on my team and can say first hand, he just anchors your team

MIP..Vic is definitely up there but I have to show some love to Steven Adams..he was great

Disappointment...I think a lot of Turner owners were a little pissed.

WW pickup....Mitchell touched my wire a few times in the beginning. ..Lauri M was another big one

Turner depends on your build. I agree he was a pain to own, but looking at BBM rankings, if you punt AST he's still a mid 3rd rounder. Like many others, drafted him in the 2nd round, but in the end he did ok for that build. My far bigger bust was Blake in 3rd round (finished with 9th round value).

MVP: Davis (cousins till he got hurt)

MIP: Oladipo (Aaron Gordon runner up)

Waiver Wire pickup: Tyreke (Kris Dunn runner up for a while)

Biggest Bust: Undeniably Myles Turner

DND ever again: Babysoft kyrie, babysoft/babytank booker, 

Best start followed by a plummet into oblivion: Evan Fournier

Special shoutout to Andre Drummond, who before Blake crashed the party, was really killing it and carrying my team. 

Edited by Portis4Potus
  • Like 1

i'm giving my own awards considering my league is very different from anyone else's here.

it's a 12 teamer H2H, but it is a points league and per-minute statistics count most as you have given minutes totals to fill in the best way.

MVP - it is a very close call between the Brow, the Beard and Lebron. Harden has the most Fantasy Points Per Minute (FPPM) with 1.21; Davis comes just short (1.19) but played more MPG, for 43.3 Fantasy Points Per Game (FPPG). Harden had 42.5 FPPG. Lebron is 5th in FPPM (a career high 1.17, while 3rd and 4th are Embiid and Westbrook) but played an insane 37.1 MPG for 43.4 FPPG. Add his 77 games played and there is my MVP: Lebron James. (notice: he didn't make the playoffs in my league but was picked #1 overall)

MIP - I wish I could give it to one of my guys: Sabonis, Drummond, Randle, who are all definitely eligible. Sabonis had a major leap, jumping from 0.52 FPPM last year (FYI I'd drop anyone under 0.75/0.80) to 0.83, which also takes into account his recent poor performance due to Turner being back on track. He was 0.89 (which is 7th round-ish value) well beyond half season! Drummond improved from 0.99 to 1.04 - which is good considering that he produced more per minute AND played 4 more MPG, making his FPPG go from 29.2 to 34.6, but probably not as important as in category leagues: don't forget that in my league improving from 1 to 3 APG is just 2 extra points on top of the 15+15 he regularly puts in. Nothing really crucial. Last but not least, Randle jumped from 0.84 to 0.95 FPPM. For comparison, this is more or less the same difference between this season's Blake Griffin (0.96) and Alex Len (0.85). Wow, I'm actually impressed that Len had so many FPPM. Let's say between Blake and Zach LaVine (0.85) or Bledsoe (0.83). But hey, you knew where I was going right from the beginning: it's Victor Oladipo, who in my league carried an injury-plagued team (Kawhi, Wall, Love, Vucevic, Gallinari) to the playoffs.

ROY - Ben Simmons, it's not even close. A 0.91 FPPM rookie is rare. Here are a few rookie FPPM's: Brow 0.84, Brodie 0.73, Bron 0.79, Boogie 0.84, KD 0.76, etc.

WWP - My own David West would have been in the conversation hadn't his production fallen literally off a cliff in the last month or so. He had been above the 1.00 FPPM mark (which usually is a solid line between normal players and superstars) for most of the season (OK, in around just 13 MPG, but still), but now he has 0.92 in the season and an awful 0.74 in the last 10 games, which is why I had to cut him. Bobby Portis takes the prize, with an excellent 0.95 FPPM per 22.5 minutes. He was another important piece of the aforementioned team that made the playoffs despite being a hospital. On a side note, Mitchell was ineligible because that same team drafted him in the last round, pick #138.

And finally, the most fun prize (as long as you didn't draft him): the Bust of the Year - Sure, Kawhi may be the easiest answer, but the only reason is an injury. In the 9 games he played, he put up 1.04 FPPM, the same as Drummond. Butler (0.89) and Gobert (0.83) are great candidates, but both of them have really stepped up lately, and easily have more than 1 FPPM over the last 20 games, and I can't blame them for being injured too. Hernangomez and Monroe are usually beasts in per-minute points leagues, but the way they were managed made them disappointments. Also Myles Turner was taken too high and has been a disappointment all the way. However, I'm going with a new name: Paul George. He may be valuable in many formats because he plays loads of minutes (which necessarily translate into stats) and he fills up many categories. However, in a per-minute league, a low FPPM score can ruin your team if it uses too many minutes. It is simply a bad score occupying a greater portion of your starters' minutes. PG only made 0.84 FPPM (once again, less than Alex Len), and unlike the Suns' center he made this little points in 36.6 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3.4.2018 at 12:18 AM, Kaboom said:

Andrew Bynum, if he was traded to the Sixers. He went on #4 oder #5 in this year and never played for the Sixers.

Edited by FantasyEmpire
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, FantasyEmpire said:

Andrew Bynum, if he was traded to the Sixers. He went on #4 oder #5 in this year and never played for the Sixers.

Ha, forgot all about Bynum. His ADP isn't available on BBM for that season since he missed literally the entire year. I do remember him going in the first round though that year. Good catch.  

Just want to give a shout out to Joe Ingles for runner up on WWP, which most of you guys either picked up early on, or drafted with one of your last picks.

This guy was a stud all season (well most of the season except during end of Dec/early Jan), one of the reasons why I got to finals, and won this year Chip.

• Like 1

Fantasy MVP: AD

Fantasy MIP: LOU WILLIAMS

Waiver Wire Pickup of the Year: TYREKE EVANS

Fantasy DPOY: DIPO

Biggest disappointment: KAWHI

Fantasy Coach/Exec of the Year: PRINGLES

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, FantasyEmpire said:

That's actually much, much better. The season is over, and Kawhi is still in limbo. He unnecessarily took a roster spot all year because of the lack of transparency and information, you couldn't simply drop him. Bynum's situation was much more clear: He had a setback due to bowling, in November he was declared "out indefinitely". Worst case you'd move on from him by the end of February, where they declared that his knees degenerated, not affecting fantasy playoffs at all.

MVP - The Greek Freak. My #1 draft & he did not disappoint

MIP - Khris Middleton. Picked him mid rounds and this guy has showed up every game putting up consistent numbers . Also adding Jrue Holiday who exceeded my expectations. 

WW - D Mitchell, aka Spida-Man. This guy has been a BEAST 

Biggest Disappointment - Kawhi. My #2 draft pick. Picked Kawhi over LBJ. Worst decision yet I still managed to win my $ League due in part to smart late rounds draft picks like Gary Harris, Josh Richardson.  

• Thanks 1

I want to add a category...championship gem. a player that wins your league with an add in the final week.

ie-

kyle oquinn

marshon brooks

sean kilpatrick

tyler ulis

josh hart

ersan ilyasova

marquesse chriss

and my pick for championship gem is...........*drumroll*

marshon brooks

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, scienze said:

I want to add a category...championship gem. a player that wins your league with an add in the final week.

ie-

kyle oquinn

marshon brooks

sean kilpatrick

tyler ulis

josh hart

ersan ilyasova

marquesse chriss

marshon brooks

Kelly Olynyk was my championship gem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scienze said:

ie-

kyle oquinn

marshon brooks

sean kilpatrick

tyler ulis

josh hart

ersan ilyasova

marquesse chriss

marshon brooks

Oooh I like this, kind of like playoff MVP in real life?

How about Ricky Rubio? Weeks 23-24 he got 18-5, 2+ steals, 3 treys and shot 49%-96%.

21 hours ago, miasma16 said:

Oooh I like this, kind of like playoff MVP in real life?

How about Ricky Rubio? Weeks 23-24 he got 18-5, 2+ steals, 3 treys and shot 49%-96%.

naah not playoff mvp .. that could be another category too tho lol

im talking about a player you picked up off the waiver wire in the finals weeks that went bananas 

On 4/7/2018 at 4:48 PM, scienze said:

ie-

kyle oquinn

marshon brooks

sean kilpatrick

tyler ulis

josh hart

ersan ilyasova

marquesse chriss

marshon brooks

Wasn't an add but, Dedmon for me! Lead my team in rebounds for the week. Double double 3/4 games that week

Mine are going to be a little different. 

MVP- AD. He did it. He stayed healthy. He topped the charts. Boogie going down just opened up the Westbrook usage role and AD filled it. Honorable mention to Lebron and Harden.

MIP - Kanter and Drummond share this one for me. I get it that Dipo was a beast, but he flashed that potential and it was just a change of scenery that brought it out for an entire season. Drummond on the other hand has almost taken himself out of the automatic tank category. Kanter was such a beast before the tank and KP injury. 

ROY - Simmons. I get it that Mitchell is a beast, but he is not Simmons. His production is outrageous, especially on the right builds. 

WW - Mitchell. This will vary by what made it to your wire, but Mitchell was on mine and Tyreke was not so it goes to Mitchell.

Bust - Myles Turner is my bust of the year. Kawhi is the obvious, but injuries shouldn't make your bust. When you spend a top 20 pick on Turner you pencil in a level of production. When you miss the mark on projections, you are at a huge disadvantage. 

Comeback/bounce back - Tyreke and LMA share this one for me. 

Exec of the Year: Sam Hinkie. Let's face it, without him we don't have the gifts of Lord Covington, Simmons, Embiid, Saric and Fultz. This team has insane potential. I hope Reddick sticks around for a while. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/4/2018 at 9:59 PM, FantasyEmpire said:

Ive been playing fantasy basketball since around 1998-1999 and there was never a time that Bynum was a first round pick that I recall. That year that you are referencing he was maybe a second rounder at best. And like someone pointed out, at least you had certainty at some point that he was out for the year. Kawhi literally sucked up a roster spot with his uncertain status up until the final days of the season.

Kawhi is the all time biggest fantasy basketball bust, and it’s not even really close.

Edit: Just did a quick google search and it looks like Bynums ADP was around 11 that year. So it was technically late first round but Bynum at that time was a well known injury risk so owners somewhat knew what they were getting into if they picked him around that spot.

Edited by Purple Hippo