Sign in to follow this  
SharkSwimmer

Oakland Raiders 2018 Outlook

I actually do like the Mack trade for Oakland, but I will agree that a lot of Gruden's moves have been..... troubling.

A lot of teams failed when they passed on Derwin James. Kid is going to be a star. Bucs had one of the biggest needs there and passed on him.

1 hour ago, Br0kenB said:

I actually do like the Mack trade for Oakland, but I will agree that a lot of Gruden's moves have been..... troubling.

I think there is a negative perception because of the contract, building the oldest roster, and his rhetoric about going back to the 90's. I truly believe Gruden knows what he is doing though. He sat in the booth for 10 years and was able to watch every team around the NFL during the transition to the current passing era.

He probably wants veterans that do things the "right way" to help build a structure around some young talent. Stability. He brought in some good vets for that. And he jettisoned some talent that rubbed him the wrong way like King, maybe Crabtree, etc.

2 hours ago, Sternes said:

And here they are passing on paying Mack, but paying Doug Martin $1.5 million and Jordy $13 million. 

Per Sportac, Raiders are $20 million under the cap this year, $46 million under the cap next year, $110 million in 2020.  They had the cap space to keep him.

That's misguided it's not simply the cap, it's the structure of a long term deal. Mack wanted a long term deal with guaranteed money locked in. The raiders could have  tagged him but he refused to play under a tag. Once the Darnold deal was public it reset the negotiations and took the Raiders out of the game. When you guarantee a player 90mm as the Bears did that money has to immediately go into ecsrow, which means you have to fund it today and not future revenues.  The raiders are operating with a deficit which means they are borrowing money  against future revenues to pay their bills. So if mack was unwiling to play under tag and the Raider unwilling to pay him 6yrs guaranteed 90mm which has to be funded today, there is no other option but to trade him

24 minutes ago, devaster said:

I think there is a negative perception because of the contract, building the oldest roster, and his rhetoric about going back to the 90's. I truly believe Gruden knows what he is doing though. He sat in the booth for 10 years and was able to watch every team around the NFL during the transition to the current passing era.

He probably wants veterans that do things the "right way" to help build a structure around some young talent. Stability. He brought in some good vets for that. And he jettisoned some talent that rubbed him the wrong way like King, maybe Crabtree, etc.

I have no view on Gruden as a good or bad coach but there does seem to be a pattern developing in the roster moves. He added cheap vets of high upside guys and releasing  expensive guys who he may think won't buy into his concept of culture; it appears he is attempting to build a 'culture'  rather than a winning team given the team does not have the financial flexibility to acquire the top FA's.

The raiders locked in their QB last year so they don't have the luxury of  building a team around a cheap rookie contract.  Safe to assume they will not break the bank until 2020 which  coincides to a bunch of the vet contracts rolling off and the new stadium revenues kicking in. 

They have no intention on being SB ready the next couple of years; at best they will be competitive at worst bad enough as they stockpile high draft capital. All of these moves are fillers to get to Vegas.

Makes perfect sense now that the owner committed to a 100mm 10yr contract for a coach. 

I hate the Mack trade and I hate what the Raiders have been doing this post season. However, chances are they will have overall better coaching than last year so they might coax a 8-8 type of season and be competitive in games.

I don't get the overall direction of the team though: with a (supposed) franchise QB and an EDGE rusher on a HoF path they should have just secured them long term and built around them with the right pieces that would fit their scheme. 

Cap has been growing #$10m/year while rookie contracts stay the same, so they would have absorbed Mack's new contract in two years and kept young players coming.

Instead they trade one of his two best players, throw away picks, sign unremarkable or over the hill veterans.

Meh. 

Edited by Scaramanga

Carr is going to throw until his arm fall off and Amari will have so many targets that it wont matter if he drops a few. . .fantasy gold :lol:

Every time Gruden goes to watch the All-22 of a preseason or regular season game, he sh*t cans another of McKenzie’s picks ?  (2016 3rd)

On 9/3/2018 at 7:25 PM, dashoe said:

Carr is going to throw until his arm fall off and Amari will have so many targets that it wont matter if he drops a few. . .fantasy gold :lol:

Hindsight is a bitch lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, pjbyrne707 said:

What a disgrace, I’d be embarrassed if I were a fan 

As a long suffering Raiders fan, I can confirm the copious amounts of embarrassment watching this monstrosity of a performance. Carr looks awful and I want to punch Gruden every time the camera pans to his smug face. 

• Like 2

Sneaky strategy by the Raiders.  Trying to lose as many fans as possible, as quickly as possible to make the move to Vegas less painful.  What a franchise - so sensitive to their fans' needs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They were out there embarrassing the Raiders.

Edited by nonstopfan
  • Like 2

This is hardly surprising.  Okay, maybe a little bit.  Thought the Raiders would be 2-6 at this point.

God I hate betting.  I mean the niners that just lost to Zona with thier third string QB should be a guaranteed loss.  Also I can't remember a coach ever giving up in the third quarter. Raiders ran around 8 pass plays in second half down 28.  

Gruden is a relic in todays NFL and belongs in the brodcast both.

• Haha 1

Gruden has not been impressive at all. The team sucks, his public comments sound unhinged and he just seems like a little bit of a nut job. (No offense) 

I get they are looking to deconstruct this team and stockpile picks to remake the team but still, he is not inspiring confidence.

It is amazing how fast this team has fallen in just 2 years. They looked on the cusp of becoming a dynasty in 2016 then things just seemed to implode. While I don't necessarily agree with Gruden's moves thus far, the majority have been future focused as the team has given him a ton of power and a long contract. Still nothing he has done thus far instills a ton of faith in his long term vision and as bad as the Raiders have been they have been in position to win games but have inexplicably fallen off in the 2nd half or 4th quarter of games which seems more of a coaching issue than purely a talent issue.

Didn’t the Raiders have one of the best O-lines in football in 2016? What happened to that or am i mistaken?

This was the most pathetic performance by a football team I've ever seen. It literally looked liked they were trying to suck. 

• Like 1