Sign in to follow this  
DerrickHenrysCleats

Aaron Boone - Yankees Manager

5 minutes ago, klove42 said:

Right. I'm a yanks fan too and like what Boone has done so far besides the IBB to Donaldson to face Smoak.

It's been 5 games. I love what I've seen from the starters, Judge has been great getting on base in front of Stanton. The power will come for Judge and Sanchez. 

I believe—- Walking Donaldson was the right call

one out runners on second & third...loads the bases ... play at any base double play in order 

Donaldson was 3/8 with2 HRs against Robertson while Smoak was 0/5 

It was 2 outs but yea having the double play in order is important with 2 outs.  S then you can have 4 outs and only need 2 outs the next inning. lul

Past career numbers aren't that important there.  Need to pay attention to who is the hot hitter.  It's a pick your poison situation.  Smoak was locked in and should not have been pitched to over Donaldson.

There has been so many headscratchers from Boone.  People who don't really follow or are just blind cheerleaders will say he has done a great job though.  Another big LUL

3 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

It was 2 outs but yea having the double play in order is important with 2 outs.  S then you can have 4 outs and only need 2 outs the next inning. lul

Past career numbers aren't that important there.  Need to pay attention to who is the hot hitter.  It's a pick your poison situation.  Smoak was locked in and should not have been pitched to over Donaldson.

There has been so many headscratchers from Boone.  People who don't really follow or are just blind cheerleaders will say he has done a great job though.  Another big LUL

4 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

I was trying to edit my original post ,... yes it was 2 outs. 

I still believe it was the right calll walking Donaldson and pitching to Smoak .

If you don’t so .... 

6 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

I was trying to edit my original post ,... yes it was 2 outs. 

I still believe it was the right calll walking Donaldson and pitching to Smoak .

If you don’t so .... 

While I think that was a poor decision and Boone got a lot of flack for it, there are definitely many that support his decision.  I can see both sides on that one which is why its not a situation I brought up. Can't crucify him but you don't pitch to the smoking hot hitter Smoak in that situation.  Not even sure when those career numbers were from because Smoak was a late bloomer.  Can't put too much into career stats there which Boone clearly did.

I brought up other things with Boone which were pulling Tanaka on 79 pitches after he retired 13 in a row stress-free.  Leaving Betances in the 1 game so long when he's always a disaster waiting to happen.  Girardi learned that Betances was very unreliable and down the stretch he hardly put him in games.  Boone couldn't wait to get him into a tie game and watch him blow it.

Betances clearly has shown he has the talent. Girardi showed he had no faith in him down the stretch, which was his take. Most of the issues in the past were due to his complete lack of control at times especially towards the end of the season. He looked fine control wise in spring. Boone wanted to show he has confidence in Betances because that will help Betances's own confidence. It was the second game of the year and Tanaka's first start. Tanaka came out of that game with a W and a QS with 8ks. No reason to have him throw 100 pitches his first start of the year, and we clearly have seen a majority of managers going this route not just Boone. 

As we all know, baseball is a long season and we are 5 games in. It is going to be a LOOOONGGG season if we are this reactionary. He went right back to Robertson 1 game after giving up a huge GS, and Robertson retires the side on 9 pitches. If we want to succeed this year, we have to show faith in our pen and keep our starters healthy. 

Worst loss in Yankees post-season history.  Thanks to Boone's awful managing.   He shouldn't return next season.

So many huge major mistakes tonight.  One of the biggest is the lack of preparation by Severino, which coaches have to be accountable for.  Boone and Boone's staff.  Inexcusable.  Boone's management of the 4th inning was as bad as you'll see in such an important game.  Should've never got rid of Girardi, not for Boone anyway.

2 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Worst loss in Yankees post-season history.  Thanks to Boone's awful managing.   He shouldn't return next season.

So many huge major mistakes tonight.  One of the biggest is the lack of preparation by Severino, which coaches have to be accountable for.  Boone and Boone's staff.  Inexcusable.  Boone's management of the 4th inning was as bad as you'll see in such an important game.  Should've never got rid of Girardi, not for Boone anyway.

Oh I don't know.  I think the Red Sox had something to do with that loss too, heh.

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Oh I don't know.  I think the Red Sox had something to do with that loss too, heh.

Sure, anyone can win.  But Boone aided to how bad the end result was.  That really can't be debated.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Sure, anyone can win.  But Boone aided to how bad the end result was.  That really can't be debated.

what did boone say in the post game? i missed it 

9 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Not a differential of 15 runs.  Yes managers can have an influence and credit to Alex Cora for FINALLY putting in Devers and Holt -- I've be yelling at him the first two games to get them in the line-up since they were the two hottest hitters the last couple of weeks of the season (especially Holt) -- but you can't blame Boone for Severino's performance.  Only for bringing Lynn in to make it worse.  Yes Boone should have used one of his "four Kimbrells" to get a strikeout.  He is still left three of them for the end part of the game.  But in the end that didn't make a difference because the Yankee bats only managed one run all game.  It wasn't Boone who was the key to the game.  It was Eovaldi.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Not a differential of 15 runs.  Yes managers can have an influence and credit to Alex Cora for FINALLY putting in Devers and Holt -- I've be yelling at him the first two games to get them in the line-up since they were the two hottest hitters the last couple of weeks of the season (especially Holt) -- but you can't blame Boone for Severino's performance.  Only for bringing Lynn in to make it worse.  Yes Boone should have used one of his "four Kimbrells" to get a strikeout.  He is still left three of them for the end part of the game.  But in the end that didn't make a difference because the Yankee bats only managed one run all game.  It wasn't Boone who was the key to the game.  It was Eovaldi.

The game was lost in the 4th inning due to terrible in-game managing.  Severino was awful and had nothing.  Why did he start the 4th inning?  Boone's response "I wanted to see him get through the bottom of the order."  Next mistake was having him load the bases and then go to Lance Lynn of all people. Boone's response "I only had Betances for 1 inning tonight."  Even if you don't want to use Betances in that situation, since we're trailing, there are a number of better options, like Robertson or Green.  Lynn was an atrocious choice.

Made it much easier for Eovaldi to pitch after that mismanaged inning.

4 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Think the general consensus was that Severino was fortunate to have gotten through 3 with game still very close (was either 2-0 or 3-0). Basically not missing bats - lot of hard hit outs etc. Lynn being a starter I think logically you bring him in to start a clean inning (with other arms warming in case he doesn't have it) and against the bottom of the order is a good spot to kind give him a soft landing. Instead well we saw what happened after the leadoff single he should have been yanked. Instead he waited and waited letting him walk JBJ to load the bases for Mookie. And then he brought in Lynn. Bringing in a starter to face Betts with the bases juiced and no out. I mean that's just asinine. Then hilarity ensued and completely just let the air out of that game. When it was 8-0 done, toast, stick a fork in it take a knee and let the clock run out. Boone's decision to try and coax Sev through another inning was just not smart he didn't have it. He didn't put his players in position to win tonight and that's totally on him. I don't know how else to say it but Boone just sucks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

what did boone say in the post game? i missed it 

I pretty much summed up most of the things like his response to leaving Severino in the 4th and using Lynn as the first guy in relief.

He also was asked about Severino late to warmup, his response was "he was able to get ready in time" or something like that.  Rothschild and Severino said it was normal for him to get into the bullpen 8 minutes before start time.  None of the guys like Curry, Kay, Flaherty, etc., who follow the Yankees all season long seemed to think that was accurate.  They all had a problem with it. Rothschild said Sevy's problems really came in the 3rd inning so warmups weren't the issue, but we all know Sevy never looked good in this game.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

So I think the warmup thing is a red herring. Whatever the cause is pretty irrelevant - Boone should have done with Severino what Cora did with Price - yank him ASAP. Instead he stuck with him until the game was out of hand and then brought in Lynn instead of any one of the dominant short relievers on standby. That's ok in August but not in a best of five series, especially at home. 

I suppose it's possible the sheer embarrassment of getting blown out like that will light a fire under the likes of Didi and McCutchen, but I think this series is over and it's pretty squarely Boone's fault.

To me this ranks up there with Buck Showalter not bringing in Zach Britton in the '16 WC game. Just indefensible. 

Edited by Mikewastaken
  • Like 1

I'm going to refer to a fantasy managerial mistake as "making a Booner".

• Like 1