Phreedom32

Christian Villanueva 2018 Outlook

Well he’s off the SCHNEID with a hit! And no errors and made a web gem as well. It’s a new beginning haha

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That was an absolute bomb. 

The power is real.   Lefty killer. 

He needs to change his stance vs rhp.

Posted (edited)

Nice that he homered, but my league doesn’t allow me to substitute him in mid game when the other team decides to bring in a lefty. This guy screams platoon and pinch hitter. 

Edited by HBEACH
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, HBEACH said:

Nice that he homered, but my league doesn’t allow me to substitute him in mid game when the other team decides to bring in a lefty. This guy screams platoon and pinch hitter. 

And that being said, I'm surprised opposing teams are even bringing in lefty bullpen arms to face this guy. You have to think teams will be catching on and bringing a righty out of the pen anytime Villanueva comes up in the later innings. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

And that being said, I'm surprised opposing teams are even bringing in lefty bullpen arms to face this guy. You have to think teams will be catching on and bringing a righty out of the pen anytime Villanueva comes up in the later innings. 

Exactly what I was thinking. 

Upper deck blastoid. Looks like they are working on shortening his swing to make more contact.

Posted (edited)

That play yesterday was bad. Cost them the game. He had no business trying to back hand that.

Is it too late to trade him to the American League and make a DH out of him. As much as I would like to see this guy do well he just has too many holes. 

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=23534116

Edited by HBEACH

27 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

What's that I see, a pumpkin!?

I think he's somewhere between a pumpkin and a frog.

• Haha 1

I am thinking he lands somewhere around that Adam Duvall where did that come from area

Looks like he took that regression to the face and it's clear sailing from here. He has a shot at .260 and 30 HRs. 

Anyone laid eyes on Villanueva's games lately?  He's got 3 HRs in his last 4 starts, though he was also benched in 4 of his last 9 games.  

He's 7/18 in his last 5 games started, and he hit the wire in the vast majority of leagues after that horrid stretch.  Might be worth speculating on the bounceback.

12 hours ago, JFS179 said:

Anyone laid eyes on Villanueva's games lately?  He's got 3 HRs in his last 4 starts, though he was also benched in 4 of his last 9 games.  

He's 7/18 in his last 5 games started, and he hit the wire in the vast majority of leagues after that horrid stretch.  Might be worth speculating on the bounceback.

I’ve been thinking the same. Have Beltre and Seager. Considering throwing him out there next week (weekly). CBS projecting a good week. Not that that means a lot. 

Posted (edited)

kinda heating up a bit again

2 more tonight, 14/31 on the year.  Could do worse

Edited by Golden Spikes

Just now, Golden Spikes said:

Could do worse

The operative and important part

He's dangerous against lefties.  He just reminded teams why they need to be selective around him again - 2/35 spell incoming again more likely than another HR outburst - just one man's uninformed opinion though

1.369 OPS vs. Southpaws, .589 OPS vs. righties.  Def worth a pick-up during weeks where there are 3-4 lefties on the schedule.

• Like 2

Gallo is owned in pretty much all leagues even tho he is a huge drain on BA. Is Carlos Villanueva any worse than Gallo?

No, he isn’t. They are both ranked (Yahoo std 5x5, as of a few days ago when I looked) in the top 100 for the season (90 for Gallo vs 97 for CV), they both have a ton of HRs (15 vs 14), and they are both hovering near the Mendoza line (.197 for Gallo vs .237 for CV). They are both slumping pretty badly over the last month, still showing power but the BAs are down to .158 and .149. Neither one walks much and they both strike out a bunch. Their OPS for the season is .739 for Gallo and .866 for Villanueva. Their overall numbers (HR, RBI, R) are pretty close even tho Gallo has 40 more ABs. If you look at Average Stats for the season, Villanueva is actually rated higher - he is ranked 148 vs 225 for Gallo. 

I actually owned Villanueva and dropped him, but picked him back up after looking at these stats. I use him in a UTIL spot. If you only start him vs lefties and bad righties, you’ve got a pretty good player on your hands