Phreedom32

Christian Villanueva 2018 Outlook

He has the corpse of Chase Headley ahead of him. The Padres took Headley in order to get Bryan Mitchell so it makes sense that they would not care about him but he is a Padres "legend" so he will get 600 ABs and hit .240. 

hes the starter at 3B vs lefties, thats all we know so far

but games like this are going to make it tough to keep him on the bench

in 5 games they have started at 3B

Headley 2

Villanueva 2

Spangenberg 1

Chase should be cut asap, let the kid play and Spang back him up

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dod959 said:

He has the corpse of Chase Headley ahead of him. The Padres took Headley in order to get Bryan Mitchell so it makes sense that they would not care about him but he is a Padres "legend" so he will get 600 ABs and hit .240. 

the way he looks right now .240 would be awesome

30 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

hes the starter at 3B vs lefties, thats all we know so far

but games like this are going to make it tough to keep him on the bench

in 5 games they have started at 3B

Headley 2

Villanueva 2

Spangenberg 1

Chase should be cut asap, let the kid play and Spang back him up

Agreed.  I'd much rather watch the 26 year old unknown than Headley.

6 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Agreed.  I'd much rather watch the 26 year old unknown than Headley.

I know you're a Padres guy ... do you know anything about Villanueva?  He hit well down the stretch last year too, hit well in AAA last year.  Kinda sucked in spring training.

24 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

I know you're a Padres guy ... do you know anything about Villanueva?  He hit well down the stretch last year too, hit well in AAA last year.  Kinda sucked in spring training.

Halfway through ST he was one of the "best" hitters statistically.  Don't know what happened.  

Saw him last year in minors, legit power and actually a good hitter so who know, might be Kevin Mench, might be JD Martinez

6 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

Any said Villa earned a start tomorrow vs a righty

So hes starting today against a righty?

That's what Green said.  Apparently all three of his jacks last night were absolute no-doubt HRs.

Worth a flier in deep leagues so im not going to miss out just in case.. who knows

3 hours ago, wiz said:

Worth a flier in deep leagues so im not going to miss out just in case.. who knows

I'm very thin at 3B, so I'm taking the same approach.  Green is impressed and wants to throw him back out there today for another start, so it'll be interesting to see how he handles the recent success.  The guy really had no shot stuck behind Beltre and Bryant, even if he made it to the majors.  With Headley the only "threat" in front of him in SD, he's got a real shot to carve out more than a sporadic role with the club if he keeps hitting.  Plus, the guy is very humble.  Told reporters after the game that all the dingers were just luck.  What's not to love about that?  I'm taking the free lottery ticket.  Just hope he doesn't turn into Matt Davidson!

27 minutes ago, dod959 said:

He has 7 homers in 40 career PAs. 

And 12 K's to 0 Walks. Ryan Schimpf 2.0?

My league counts bombs and humble pie servings...not ks and walks so I'm gonna take a stab especially since lost Lamb

Batting cleanup tonight. Lets hope he can make something happen against the righty Jon Gray.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JFS179 said:

I like his actual swing as far as generating power goes.

I don't like that against righties he chases breaking balls off the plate away and up and in.  He needs to stop doing that pronto.

Expect to see Jon Gray attack him in those spots tonight...a lot. 

Having said that,  he's 26 which us where random breakouts seem to occur so in super deep leagues I'm watching very closely.

Rung up on a questionable check swing.  1b umpire must have a hot date at panera after the game

• Haha 1

Used to be in the Cubs system but then they traded him after drafting KB. 

Has massive power and on the broadcast last night they said bench coach Mark Mcgwire said CV has a great feel for hitting for whatever that's worth. 

After he hit the third bomb (all three were moon shots) I picked him up as a lotto ticket. Give him a week and see what happens, the wire is  boneyard of s--- in terms of power so why not. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, JFS179 said:

Not directed at me ofc, but Villanueva is a guy who has been around for forever in prospect terms. I remember reading up about Villanueva when the Cubs acquired him alongside Kyle Hendricks for Ryan Dempster. For the most part I think the knock on Villanueva in general has been more or less that he's constantly found himself in competitive organizations (such as the Rangers, and then the Cubs right before the breakout and WS) with high-high level talent and been unable to distinguish himself despite being someone who seems reasonably projectable as a big-league regular. I remember many scouts were more than fairly confident in him being a big-league regular whenever that trade was, which has to have been about four years. 

My point in saying this is simply that, while I've never seen him on a top 100 prospects board, this guy isn't a nobody prospect and has become slightly more of a nobody prospect because he did take a bit longer to get through AA and AAA and also missed all of 2016 with a leg injury. But realistically, again from a general perspective, this to me is a guy who's talented and just took a little bit longer coming around. Whether he puts it all together or not, and whether that's just a solid line or an actual impressive line, I'm not speculating on. But I definitely think this is a guy who should be looked at a bit more like a prospect than I think he is.

• Like 1

Encouraging to see CV back in the lineup today (hitting 5th) after an 0-3 game and getting subbed out for Headley yesterday.  They must really want to see what they have with him.

1 minute ago, Yceman1234 said:

Encouraging to see CV back in the lineup today (hitting 5th) after an 0-3 game and getting subbed out for Headley yesterday.  They must really want to see what they have with him.

It's against a LHP, which he's supposed to start against all lefties.  Agreed though, consistent playing time can only help the guy.