Phreedom32

Christian Villanueva 2018 Outlook

16 minutes ago, STLSU said:

65% pull rate in the early going and his MiLB data backs that up.  Very low contact rates and high O-Swing% also.  Struggling vs. the curve.  I know I just praised SD minor league coaching but maybe he is not applying the lessons.  Like his hard and soft hit numbers though.  I haven't seen his D but I'll take others' lead on its butchery.  Maybe they can hide him in LF.  IF defense is too critical to have guys learning new and better routines on the MLB job.

I agree that he is a fantasy hold though.

I mentioned it earlier, and poor defense could certainly be his demise and kill his value, but his competition Chase Headley is 2 for 28 this year. Villanueva will get some decent sized leash since the Padres have nothing to lose and want to see what he's got, especially with his pedigree, upside and hitting like he is. On a team that's not competing this year, I wouldn't worry about his defense just yet. Possibly soon, but less because of the context. 

I feel reassured that the Cubs were big on him, and that a lot of his slow development has been because of Kris Bryant and Injury. He could very well end up a platoon/LH only guy, but I got him for nothing and am way higher on him than Matt Davidson. He was hitting cleanup yesterday too. Pirela, Galvis, Hosmer could in theory give good under the radar RBI opportunities. 

Edited by loro1991
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, loro1991 said:

I mentioned it earlier, and poor defense could certainly be his demise and kill his value, but his competition Chase Headley is 2 for 28 this year. Villanueva will get some decent sized leash since the Padres have nothing to lose and want to see what he's got, especially with his pedigree, upside and hitting like he is. On a team that's not competing this year, I wouldn't worry about his defense just yet. Possibly soon, but less because of the context. 

I feel reassured that the Cubs were big on him, and that a lot of his slow development has been because of Kris Bryant and Injury. He could very well end up a platoon/LH only guy, but I got him for nothing and am way higher on him than Matt Davidson. He was hitting cleanup yesterday too. Pirela, Galvis, Hosmer could in theory give good under the radar RBI opportunities. 

you forgot Myers, who returned to the 2 hole

2 hours ago, loro1991 said:

Padres seem to (wisely) be willing to run him out there despite his flaws to see if they've hit on a lottery ticket.   Nothing to lose at this point. 

• Like 3

Eight game hitting streak and he's hitting .345. 

This might be real! 

He is hitting .308 when the pitcher is ahead in the count and .256 with two strikes. I will take those splits this early in the year.

He has also upped his average vs. RHP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, The Gridiron Assassin said:

Eight game hitting streak and he's hitting .345. 

This might be real! 

Define "real." 

I will as it pertains to me--

He now has 30 HRs between majors and AAA in his last 554 PAs. I think 30 HRs (especially now 24 ROS) is in the skillset. The SBs haven't been there recently in the minors but he just stole his first in the majors and he stole a whopping 32 at one point of his career and the Padres love to run. So 10 is probably too optimistic but I could see it, and would set it closer to 6 or 7. But 30 HRs and 6 or 7 SBs are numbers that not that many players get to, even in a deep 3B/CI class.

The BA though is still something that I wouldn't be surprised to see drop precipitously still though, and all the way down to the mendoza line. Villaneuva still hasn't shown me the consistent or well rounded hitting game that a player like Jose Martinez showed almost immediately that makes me able to buy in with confidence. He still whiffs a lot on fastballs. However, unlike Davidson he is rocking 4-Seamers in terms of power, and the sample is much smaller.

For Villaneuva, my concern is more big league breaking balls, which he still has not had much success against to date. 3/17 with 1 2B against Sliders and Curves to date. This is still a very small sample, but it's always better to see success obviously.

If I had to put a guess on the numbers by season end I'd say he finishes 15 points of BA above my Davidson line, so something around .230-.240, but with a solid 30 HRs and 7 SBs, which will make him a top 250 player. 

So CV is a sell high to me if you can get a good piece back for him, but I'm fine riding him too. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Went oppo on Corbin. That was pretty impressive. This start is hard to ignore at this point. Padres deserve nice things too

Edited by bigbluecrew56
  • Like 1

Going to miss the Coors series...sounds about right for my team

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Maybe he will get dropped where I don't already own him... 

Rotoworld says he is available to pinch hit.  If so he could be back tomorrow? 

Edited by kittenmittons
  • Like 1

man, this is annoying.  Was really looking forward to seeing him hit @ Coors..Manager says it could be a day or two thing..let's hope he just misses tonight's game.

2 hours ago, Dr. Whom said:

If he is available to pinch hit tonight how do you know he will miss the entire Coors series.  Did SD or a Padres beat reporter announce/post that?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Dude81 said:

Just DL him already 

They have the results of the MRI but don't see the point of releasing it... 

Edited by kittenmittons

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

If he is available to pinch hit tonight how do you know he will miss the entire Coors series.  Did SD or a Padres beat reporter announce/post that?

Modern Baseball players are emo

Source: MLB

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Golden Spikes said:

He’s not going to miss a lefty tomorrow mark my words

Well I feel like he may spikes