Phreedom32

Christian Villanueva 2018 Outlook

He has impressed me thus far and I don't know how long this will go on for.

Gary Cohen, a Mets broadcaster, provided an interesting tidbit about this start to Villanueva's career. As you guys know by now, Juan Lagares robbed Villanueva of a second home run tonight. Had he not, Villanueva would have the most homers of any active player in his first 100 career at bats, but, as it stands, he is tied with Rhys Hoskins with 12. 

41 minutes ago, Tugginroot said:

What are realistic projections here??  Josh Donaldson breakout?

I don't know if Donaldson is a good comp. Donaldson is less of a free swinger than Villanueva. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IceGoat said:

I don't know if Donaldson is a good comp. Donaldson is less of a free swinger than Villanueva. 

Yeah that is true. JD is a much more polished product. Flipside however - JD is 6 years older. If CV can actually stay healthy (which seems to be a big challenge) he has the upside JD had same age.

Sure wasn’t a free swinger tonight.  Yeah he wasn’t facing Scherzer, but he looked cool and calm up there waiting for his pitches.

Edited by ShaneMT31

5 hours ago, screaming_vultures said:

is this real life

Him destroying lhp is.

dude should be tied with Didi and Trout, think about that, in 20 less AB's than Didi, 30 less than Trout, and 40 less than Albies (8 also)

2 homers robbed so far this year

• Like 1

On 4/22/2018 at 2:01 AM, summersoff7 said:

This dude could be in the runnings for FA pick up of the year by season's end.

I still believe it

1 minute ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

This guy is a cheat code vs lefties, it’s not even fair.

Holland goes for SF tomorrow!

Is it just me, or is he not getting enough love? I get why people are skeptical, but Jose Martinez is essentially the same guy, long tenure in the minor leagues until the end of last year and he's producing on a consistent basis in the big leagues. I haven't watched Padre games but from his highlights I've noticed he's hitting home runs on 3-2 counts. I think he'll end the year as a top 10 fantasy 3B. 

If he was on any other team, the hype would be out of control.

• Like 1

Not benching this kid anymore. And I for some reason keep sticking with Jose Martinez he does absolutely nothing for counting stats. 

3 minutes ago, tcorb22 said:

Not benching this kid anymore. And I for some reason keep sticking with Jose Martinez he does absolutely nothing for counting stats. 

Yeah, I finally benched Martinez this week. I've watched many of his at bats out of genuine curiosity and I'm a fan of the guy, but pitchers just aren't taking any chances with him. He's a great doubles guy but not enough home runs so far. And agreed, Villanueva isn't leaving my lineup anytime soon. 

hes also had 2 homers robbed, and has about 30 less AB's then the other guys with the 10 homers fwiw

now for a real laugh look at this

14-30 .467/.515/1.300 (thats not the OPS thats the SLG lol)/1.815 OPS, 8 homers 1 2b, 2 homers robbed

Best waiver I've spent in a few years. He is NOT latin Chris Shelton

yea he's 2-21 which is dumpster fire, He should bounce back.  

Edited by phatrat
CSB removed

27 minutes ago, summersoff7 said:

yea he's 2-21 which is dumpster fire, He should bounce back.  

He hacks at everything.   I see no reason to throw him hittable strikes.

Well no one believe he was going to keep hitting .350. In fact, I figured it would make its way down to the .230-.250 range. I'm just hoping it comes with 30ish HRs, as well. If others are like me, the reason he's in my lineup in the first place is because of injuries and disappointing play by others. He was likely a FA pickup for all of his owners, so you ride him while he's hot and hope he becomes a solid bench piece once other players start to get healthy/right. 

• Like 1

It's a bit amusing how much of a microscope he's under right now. He's had a couple 0'fers BFD. 

I'm definitely not above benching him and probably will at least tomorrow but Geez this guy has earned more slack than he's being given here imho

• Like 2

This guy is a prime example don’t get to attach to your players ... I need to drop him

1 minute ago, SuperJoint said:

It's a bit amusing how much of a microscope he's under right now. He's had a couple 0'fers BFD. 

I'm definitely not above benching him and probably will at least tomorrow but Geez this guy has earned more slack than he's being given here imho

He hits HRs but is going to kill your batting average ... he has given us one week of nothing. How much slack are going to to give him? 

4-32 

Just now, shakestreet said:

He hits HRs but is going to kill your batting average ... he has given us one week of nothing. How much slack are going to to give him? 

4-32 

He plays 3B. If he goes into a complete tailspin I'm giving at least a week. Just bench him for a bit to see what happens. 

Certainly not prepared to drop at this point.