Dirtywater97

J.A. Happ 2018 Outlook

2 hours ago, secretagentman said:

He was playing above his head and the numbers are regressing to his norm imo.  He has only really had one outstanding season, 2016.  He sports a career ERA around 4 and Whip around 1.3.

I don't think he was playing above his head. He's been a different pitcher ever since getting traded to Pittsburgh. He was a stud there...had a very good season in 2016...had a nice season in 2017...and was having another good season this year until four starts ago. I'm not worried about what his career numbers are when there was an obvious shift in his approach/mechanics/selection/whatever during the 2015 season. We'll see how the ROS goes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I don't think he was playing above his head. He's been a different pitcher ever since getting traded to Pittsburgh. He was a stud there...had a very good season in 2016...had a nice season in 2017...and was having another good season this year until four starts ago. I'm not worried about what his career numbers are when there was an obvious shift in his approach/mechanics/selection/whatever during the 2015 season. We'll see how the ROS goes. 

His numbers last year were pedestrian at best with a 3.53 ERA and a fairly high WHIP over 1.3.  Granted he missed some time, but new approach or not, the success to a very high level has only really shown up in 2016 (not counting his first full year in 2009 with Phi).  Not that he is a bad pitcher, I just do not think he qualifies as an ace and at best is a low-end number 2 imo.  He probably would qualify as a number 3 type with upside in most cases.  Whether this year is more of the same historically or more like 2016 is anyone's guess.

8 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

I just do not think he qualifies as an ace and at best is a low-end number 2 imo.  He probably would qualify as a number 3 type with upside in most cases.  Whether this year is more of the same historically or more like 2016 is anyone's guess.

Unless you can point me to anyone ever suggesting he is an ace, it appears you’re arguing things no one has said. Pretty certain we’d all agree with this.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

His numbers last year were pedestrian at best with a 3.53 ERA and a fairly high WHIP over 1.3.  Granted he missed some time, but new approach or not, the success to a very high level has only really shown up in 2016 (not counting his first full year in 2009 with Phi).  Not that he is a bad pitcher, I just do not think he qualifies as an ace and at best is a low-end number 2 imo.  He probably would qualify as a number 3 type with upside in most cases.  Whether this year is more of the same historically or more like 2016 is anyone's guess.

I have a different defintion of pedestrian, but that's all good. The WHIP wasn't great, but the ERA was nice, as was his k/9. The 10 wins in 25 GS were decent (projects to 13 over 32 starts). Either way, that's neither here nor there.

I haven't seen anyone refer to him as an ace. If asked two weeks ago when he had a 3.48 ERA and 1.06 WHIP, I still would have said he's a SP3. CSB but including it for the sake of reference...he's my SP4 but could drop further than that. 

The so-so starts on June 20 and 25 followed by the awful starts on July 1 and 7 make me wonder if there is an injury at play here. 

This guy absolutely sucks now.

Ya, the 5 runs were unearned. I pray he somehow gets dealt to the Yankees or Redsox so I can avoid any other starts vs those teams

Anyone watching the game? Outside of that BAWMB by Betts, it seems that Happ had a lot of bad luck in the 4th. Travis commits an error with one out, making all 5 runs unearned. Nunez follows that error by reaching on a 50ft infield single...then a Leon FC to SS...wildpitch...walk...and Betts launched one. If Travis makes a play, Happ gets out of the 4th unscathed, but bad things happen when you offer a free pass and then leave one over the plate to Mookie.