• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
Dirtywater97

J.A. Happ 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

2 hours ago, secretagentman said:

He was playing above his head and the numbers are regressing to his norm imo.  He has only really had one outstanding season, 2016.  He sports a career ERA around 4 and Whip around 1.3.

I don't think he was playing above his head. He's been a different pitcher ever since getting traded to Pittsburgh. He was a stud there...had a very good season in 2016...had a nice season in 2017...and was having another good season this year until four starts ago. I'm not worried about what his career numbers are when there was an obvious shift in his approach/mechanics/selection/whatever during the 2015 season. We'll see how the ROS goes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I don't think he was playing above his head. He's been a different pitcher ever since getting traded to Pittsburgh. He was a stud there...had a very good season in 2016...had a nice season in 2017...and was having another good season this year until four starts ago. I'm not worried about what his career numbers are when there was an obvious shift in his approach/mechanics/selection/whatever during the 2015 season. We'll see how the ROS goes. 

His numbers last year were pedestrian at best with a 3.53 ERA and a fairly high WHIP over 1.3.  Granted he missed some time, but new approach or not, the success to a very high level has only really shown up in 2016 (not counting his first full year in 2009 with Phi).  Not that he is a bad pitcher, I just do not think he qualifies as an ace and at best is a low-end number 2 imo.  He probably would qualify as a number 3 type with upside in most cases.  Whether this year is more of the same historically or more like 2016 is anyone's guess.

8 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

I just do not think he qualifies as an ace and at best is a low-end number 2 imo.  He probably would qualify as a number 3 type with upside in most cases.  Whether this year is more of the same historically or more like 2016 is anyone's guess.

Unless you can point me to anyone ever suggesting he is an ace, it appears you’re arguing things no one has said. Pretty certain we’d all agree with this.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

His numbers last year were pedestrian at best with a 3.53 ERA and a fairly high WHIP over 1.3.  Granted he missed some time, but new approach or not, the success to a very high level has only really shown up in 2016 (not counting his first full year in 2009 with Phi).  Not that he is a bad pitcher, I just do not think he qualifies as an ace and at best is a low-end number 2 imo.  He probably would qualify as a number 3 type with upside in most cases.  Whether this year is more of the same historically or more like 2016 is anyone's guess.

I have a different defintion of pedestrian, but that's all good. The WHIP wasn't great, but the ERA was nice, as was his k/9. The 10 wins in 25 GS were decent (projects to 13 over 32 starts). Either way, that's neither here nor there.

I haven't seen anyone refer to him as an ace. If asked two weeks ago when he had a 3.48 ERA and 1.06 WHIP, I still would have said he's a SP3. CSB but including it for the sake of reference...he's my SP4 but could drop further than that. 

The so-so starts on June 20 and 25 followed by the awful starts on July 1 and 7 make me wonder if there is an injury at play here. 

This guy absolutely sucks now.

Ya, the 5 runs were unearned. I pray he somehow gets dealt to the Yankees or Redsox so I can avoid any other starts vs those teams

Anyone watching the game? Outside of that BAWMB by Betts, it seems that Happ had a lot of bad luck in the 4th. Travis commits an error with one out, making all 5 runs unearned. Nunez follows that error by reaching on a 50ft infield single...then a Leon FC to SS...wildpitch...walk...and Betts launched one. If Travis makes a play, Happ gets out of the 4th unscathed, but bad things happen when you offer a free pass and then leave one over the plate to Mookie. 

Posted (edited)

Traded the Yankees. Kinda worried about his HR issues in that park. Should get more wins though

Edited by street sharks

14 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Traded the Yankees. Kinda worried about his HR issues in that park. Should get more wins though

Better team = more win, better defense = better whip and ERA. Park factors are neutral. This is a win for Happ owners

2 hours ago, NoHablaIngles said:

Better team = more win, better defense = better whip and ERA. Park factors are neutral. This is a win for Happ owners

Yankee Stadium doesn't grade as more hitter friendly than the Skydome with the short right field in New York?  Glad Happ wont have to face the Yankees anymore though.

48 minutes ago, Magnus88 said:

Yankee Stadium doesn't grade as more hitter friendly than the Skydome with the short right field in New York?  Glad Happ wont have to face the Yankees anymore though.

according to fangraphs, theyre about equal 

Do we know when he's going to pitch?

Friday would be his regular start, push back C.C tomorrow?

54 minutes ago, Gumbo_Ghost said:

Do we know when he's going to pitch?

Friday would be his regular start, push back C.C tomorrow?

That pushes back Severino and Tanaka also, so I doubt it. My guess is he slides in next Tuesday for Cessa. Nothing officially reported yet though.

Just now, ghostdragon said:

Hate to know what’s its like to have mouth disease

It’s a pretty common thing around kids and people with kids. In extreme cases people get bad outbreaks. In most cases it’s a mild fever a few splotches. He will be good in a few days 

5 minutes ago, Carlos Correa said:

Lol. Must've been hanging out with Thor since he got traded to NY.

How is this possible?   Lol.

On 7/31/2018 at 5:47 PM, 96mnc said:

How is this possible?   Lol.

It gets even better.  According to Rotoworld:

Yankees placed LHP J.A. Happ on the 10-day disabled list, retroactive to July 30, with hand, foot, and mouth disease.

Happ contracted the virus last week and will miss his scheduled start Saturday against the Red Sox, though he should be ready to return when first eligible. The veteran left-hander allowed just one run on three hits over six innings in his Yankees debut last weekend against the Royals.

2 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Meh, not the worst start to miss even though he's got good numbers vs the Red Sox

His last start against Boston got him an 11.12 ERA and a WHIP of 1.94.  It was batting practice stuff he was throwing at Fenway that night.  And with pitchers it is almost always what have you done lately, not three years ago.  I so was looking froward to him pitching there again in this series, sniff.

• Sad 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

His last start against Boston got him an 11.12 ERA and a WHIP of 1.94.  It was batting practice stuff he was throwing at Fenway that night.  And with pitchers it is almost always what have you done lately, not three years ago.  I so was looking froward to him pitching there again in this series, sniff.

In the last 3 years against Boston he's got 8 starts and a 1.98 ERA. There's a reason he was on the Yankees radar. His last outing against them got his whip blown up but it didn't result in any earned runs.

Edited by street sharks
  • Thanks 1

Are people comfortable starting him vs. a hot Rangers lineup off the DL?

3 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Are people comfortable starting him vs. a hot Rangers lineup off the DL?

Absolutely.

• Like 1