• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
taobball

Caleb Smith 2018 Outlook

Just now, ToO_BaD said:

While the definition of a QS could be flawed, some could view Ws as a crappy cat for a pitcher as well.  While the pitcher could help or hurt his own cause, you are completely reliant on the offense getting you runs.  You could say that Sale going 8 IP, 6 H, 1 BB, 1 ER, 10 Ks and getting the loss last start is pretty lame while Ryan Yarbrough goes 6 IP with 4 ER and gets a win.

Absolutely.  Wins are fickle.  Some say the same about RBI, although not me.    King Felix in his prime is an excellent example of your point above.  Would absolute crush it each year with amazing statistical seasons of dominance, but struggle to get 12 wins on horrible Mariners teams.   The thing with QS's that irks me is that a 4.50 era is mediocre at best, if not replacement level, spot starter, back end of the rotation performance.  Yet the stat itself quantifies it as "quality".   It's why I apply lots of salt to it.

1 minute ago, dicka24 said:

Absolutely.  Wins are fickle.  Some say the same about RBI, although not me.    King Felix in his prime is an excellent example of your point above.  Would absolute crush it each year with amazing statistical seasons of dominance, but struggle to get 12 wins on horrible Mariners teams.   The thing with QS's that irks me is that a 4.50 era is mediocre at best, if not replacement level, spot starter, back end of the rotation performance.  Yet the stat itself quantifies it as "quality".   It's why I apply lots of salt to it.

Yeah Matt Cain had some years of terrible run support as well.  I do agree that I don't view that as "quality," but instead of saying the category itself is dumb, perhaps the definition of what makes a QS is dumb.  Because at the end of the day, I would prefer a stat that the pitcher is pretty much 100% responsible.

10 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

While the definition of a QS could be flawed, some could view Ws as a crappy cat for a pitcher as well.  While the pitcher could help or hurt his own cause, you are completely reliant on the offense getting you runs.  You could say that Sale going 8 IP, 6 H, 1 BB, 1 ER, 10 Ks and getting the loss last start is pretty lame while Ryan Yarbrough goes 6 IP with 4 ER and gets a win.

Both are imperfect, but I prefer wins to QS. I know some guys think they're better fantasy players (or more enlightened) because they are anti-wins (not speaking of you...but others), but there is no perfect fantasy system. How many times have we read on this forum that ERA is flawed...yet we all use it still. To each his own. 

3 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

Yeah Matt Cain had some years of terrible run support as well.  I do agree that I don't view that as "quality," but instead of saying the category itself is dumb, perhaps the definition of what makes a QS is dumb.  Because at the end of the day, I would prefer a stat that the pitcher is pretty much 100% responsible.

But he's not 100 percent responsible. Defense comes into play. He's more in control of getting a QS than a win, but shaky defense can lead to runs. 

Honestly we need to stop this discussion.... we all know the flaws. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

probably a better conversation for the topic above.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rrrrich46 said:

In points leagues he's straight RP money. 

Explain what you mean  

Posted (edited)

Nvm

Edited by ToO_BaD

2 hours ago, shakestreet said:

Honestly we need to stop this discussion.... we all know the flaws. 

True...this is thread is about Caleb Smith...who I like quite a bit as a FA pickup :). 

3 hours ago, shakestreet said:

Explain what you mean  

He's RP eligible. I start him there, he has (overall) out pointed all but a few top closers. For free (ww pickup)

11 minutes ago, rrrrich46 said:

He's RP eligible. I start him there, he has (overall) out pointed all but a few top closers. For free (ww pickup)

I see yahoooo he is SP/RP in ESPN he is only SP 

No start league.. lame 

Caleb had a decent outing yesterday ... ND 6.1 IP 8H 0BB 4K 3ER QS

first inning a 2 run HR to Cutch

satisfied or not?

2 hours ago, shakestreet said:

Caleb had a decent outing yesterday ... ND 6.1 IP 8H 0BB 4K 3ER QS

first inning a 2 run HR to Cutch

satisfied or not?

satisfied but no pleased. still on the fence about starting him next week (weekly) for 2 starts.

He just got the NA tag on Yahoo, but I can't find any news on him... anyone know what the deal is? Bereavement/paternity?

Just now, StevieStats said:

He just got the NA tag on Yahoo, but I can't find any news on him... anyone know what the deal is? Bereavement/paternity?

Bereavement.

10 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

satisfied but no pleased. still on the fence about starting him next week (weekly) for 2 starts.

Second start is in Coors.  I’m avoiding.

11 minutes ago, herschel said:

In a daily league, I'd honestly think long and hard about sitting him for both trips...to SF and to Colorado. Of course, he might not make the SF trip if he's on the bereavement list. 

2 hours ago, herschel said:

I thought the same, however I started Godley at Coors and that actually worked out. Rockies K a lot. I dunno. Just seems like nothing makes sense and whenever I try to play matchups it backfires. of course all leagues and options vary.

8 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I thought the same, however I started Godley at Coors and that actually worked out. Rockies K a lot. I dunno. Just seems like nothing makes sense and whenever I try to play matchups it backfires. of course all leagues and options vary.

i get it.  especially in weekly leagues, however if you werent satisfied with his start at home, i wouldnt expect to be satisfied with a start in coors.  but as you said, who the hell knows...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, herschel said:

i get it.  especially in weekly leagues, however if you werent satisfied with his start at home, i wouldnt expect to be satisfied with a start in coors.  but as you said, who the hell knows...

I have some other shaky options next week (Maeda, Manea, Godley,) so I'll go with my gut or flip a coin I guess :mellow: (not asking for advice btw).

giphy.gif

He's going to make the SF start.  He will throw a side session while out.

I'm actually more worried about playing him at SF.

They're batting 0.283 / 121 wRC+ (top 5) at home vs lefties (453 pa) as opposed to 0.228 / 83 wRC+ on the road vs lefties.

Plus they just saw him on the road and he only got 4 k in 6.1

11 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

I'm actually more worried about playing him at SF.

They're batting 0.283 / 121 wRC+ (top 5) at home vs lefties (453 pa) as opposed to 0.228 / 83 wRC+ on the road vs lefties.

Plus they just saw him on the road and he only got 4 k in 6.1

Looks pretty tough, but I'm streaming. Let's just hope the Marlins score some runs.

• Like 1