RMJ_12

Davante Adams 2018 Season Outlook

2 hours ago, predator_05 said:

I seriously question the knowledge of anyone that picks Adams over Julio, Thomas, Green or Keenan allen. He has done NOTHING to show that he belongs in that category of players. In the 2nd round, he's an easy DND for me.

In fact, if i had to guess who'd be the biggest bust of the 2nd round - there's always a few - i'd put all my money on him. Good luck to any chump dumb enough to draft him that high.

If you're going to make a case against Adams, at least do it right. You're going to have to back this one up with some numbers. 

Rosgers last 5 healthy seasons he's averaged 4300 yards and 39 TDs. You care to break down that volume by WR to show us how Adams will be a bust? You must be expecting ALOT from Cobb/Graham/Allison. 

30 minutes ago, Experienced Rookie said:

If you're going to make a case against Adams, at least do it right. You're going to have to back this one up with some numbers. 

Rosgers last 5 healthy seasons he's averaged 4300 yards and 39 TDs. You care to break down that volume by WR to show us how Adams will be a bust? You must be expecting ALOT from Cobb/Graham/Allison. 

Fun fact as well. Adams has led the league with 22 receiving touchdowns over the last two years. True story. 

I'll give you 5 reasons why Adams will be a bust at his 2nd round ADP:

1. He has NEVER shown he can be a number 1 receiver on his team. The last time Adams had to play a bigger role in the absence of others was back in 2015, and he struggled. Not all of that was his fault - he dealt with an annoying ankle injury and was much younger, but the question we're left asking is: does he have the game to be a number 1 receiver? He's obviously a much better player now, but this is a different level of responsibility. You know what comes with the territory - being able to beat double coverage, and having a near-telepathic connection with your QB. Not surprisingly, the number 1 receiver on Green Bay in recent years, Jordy nelson, was exactly that. Which brings us to the next point:

2. He doesn't make big plays downfield and he isn't anywhere near as reliable. This is the problem with copy pasting Jordy Nelson's numbers as an expectation: ADAMS IS NOTHING LIKE JORDY NELSON. Not even close. They're completely different players. Jordy Nelson, in his prime, was a complete receiver - he could work the sideline as well as anybody, he had exceptionally good acceleration to get behind cornerbacks, and he [almost] never dropped a single ball thrown his way. Adams is great at making contested catches, he is outstanding on short to intermediate routes; maybe runs the best slant route in the league. He is a real menace after the catch, and always fights for extra yards. All well and good as a WR2, but he lacks the other qualities to be a complete receiver.

3. Receptions, how many more? He averages under 5 catches a game with Aaron rodgers at QB. This is significant, because Rodgers, like most great QBs, doesn't need to force it to his receivers. Hundley had no timing with Jordy Nelson, so he locked on Adams a bit more. Given what we've already mentioned in the first 2 points, does Adams deserve more receptions on a weekly basis? Can he stop dropping passes? Julio, Green, and Michael Thomas are central to their offense's passing game - they can do almost anything you ask, and are complete receivers. Keenan isn't as physically gifted, but he makes up for it with his phenomenal route running. Will Adams be central to Green bay's passing game? I'm not sure. Because...

4. Green Bay's offense isn't as starved of talent as people think. No, Adams won't NEED to carry the offense. Everybody and their mother knows that Green Bay like running a 3 wide receiver set. Cobb is healthy, and we know he has a good connection with Rodgers - especially in the end zone - remember the playoff game against the Giants in 2017? The other receivers are a question-mark, but they aren't lacking talent. Geronimo Allison, unknown he may be, is in his 3rd year (!) and is actually a good player. He has the ability to make big plays downfield - as we saw in THIS game against Cincinnati last year. Moore and St. Brown are pretty decent receivers themselves. Bottom line, this cupboard isn't bare and even without mentioning Jimmy Graham - there's a fair bit of talent being unjustly ignored. And this is all assuming they get some heavy usage, which may not be likely since...

5. Green Bay actually has a run game. Rodgers won't be throwing 600 passes this year. Aaron Jones terrorized the cowboys and averaged 5.5 yards a carry, and Jamaal williams is a workhorse who can play on all 3 downs. They aren't scrubs. The packers can close out games and control clock more effectively without having to throw the ball, and it makes all the more sense with Rodgers beginning to get 'up there' in age while coming off a few injuries. You know they'll run the ball in the winter months, now that they have the personnel to do so.

There you have it. I'm happy to hear from other packers fans. Adams to me, is a fake WR1 - in other words, a solid WR2 masquerading as a WR1. He's a reach in the 2nd round, and frankly, i'm not too sure i'd take him over some of the receivers available in the 3rd round either. But that's a different discussion.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

I'll give you 5 reasons why Adams will be a bust at his 2nd round ADP:

1. He has NEVER shown he can be a number 1 receiver on his team. The last time Adams had to play a bigger role in the absence of others was back in 2015, and he struggled. Not all of that was his fault - he dealt with an annoying ankle injury and was much younger, but the question we're left asking is: does he have the game to be a number 1 receiver? He's obviously a much better player now, but this is a different level of responsibility. You know what comes with the territory - being able to beat double coverage, and having a near-telepathic connection with your QB. Not surprisingly, the number 1 receiver on Green Bay in recent years, Jordy nelson, was exactly that. Which brings us to the next point:

2. He doesn't make big plays downfield and he isn't anywhere near as reliable. This is the problem with copy pasting Jordy Nelson's numbers as an expectation: ADAMS IS NOTHING LIKE JORDY NELSON. Not even close. They're completely different players. Jordy Nelson, in his prime, was a complete receiver - he could work the sideline as well as anybody, he had exceptionally good acceleration to get behind cornerbacks, and he [almost] never dropped a single ball thrown his way. Adams is great at making contested catches, he is outstanding on short to intermediate routes; maybe runs the best slant route in the league. He is a real menace after the catch, and always fights for extra yards. All well and good as a WR2, but he lacks the other qualities to be a complete receiver.

3. Receptions, how many more? He averages under 5 catches a game with Aaron rodgers at QB. This is significant, because Rodgers, like most great QBs, doesn't need to force it to his receivers. Hundley had no timing with Jordy Nelson, so he locked on Adams a bit more. Given what we've already mentioned in the first 2 points, does Adams deserve more receptions on a weekly basis? Can he stop dropping passes? Julio, Green, and Michael Thomas are central to their offense's passing game - they can do almost anything you ask, and are complete receivers. Keenan isn't as physically gifted, but he makes up for it with his phenomenal route running. Will Adams be central to Green bay's passing game? I'm not sure. Because...

4. Green Bay's offense isn't as starved of talent as people think. No, Adams won't NEED to carry the offense. Everybody and their mother knows that Green Bay like running a 3 wide receiver set. Cobb is healthy, and we know he has a good connection with Rodgers - especially in the end zone - remember the playoff game against the Giants in 2017? The other receivers are a question-mark, but they aren't lacking talent. Geronimo Allison, unknown he may be, is in his 3rd year (!) and is actually a good player. He has the ability to make big plays downfield - as we saw in THIS game against Cincinnati last year. Moore and St. Brown are pretty decent receivers themselves. Bottom line, this cupboard isn't bare and even without mentioning Jimmy Graham - there's a fair bit of talent being unjustly ignored. And this is all assuming they get some heavy usage, which may not be likely since...

5. Green Bay actually has a run game. Rodgers won't be throwing 600 passes this year. Aaron Jones terrorized the cowboys and averaged 5.5 yards a carry, and Jamaal williams is a workhorse who can play on all 3 downs. They aren't scrubs. The packers can close out games and control clock more effectively without having to throw the ball, and it makes all the more sense with Rodgers beginning to get 'up there' in age while coming off a few injuries. You know they'll run the ball in the winter months, now that they have the personnel to do so.

There you have it. I'm happy to hear from other packers fans. Adams to me, is a fake WR1 - in other words, a solid WR2 masquerading as a WR1. He's a reach in the 2nd round, and frankly, i'm not too sure i'd take him over some of the receivers available in the 3rd round either. But that's a different discussion.

Not to discredit everything you just said, but the man that's led the league the last two years in touchdowns, is a fake WR1? I mean, Rodgers, if healthy, is dropping 35+ touchdowns guaranteed. Who do you see catching most of those? Rookies with no chemistry? Cobb? I think Adams isn't extremely talented, but you don't really got to when you have a guy like Rodgers slinging you 115+ targets every year......

EDIT: After looking on FFC, Adams does have a second round price tag, but have you seen the guys going under him? Household names like Evans, Allen, and Hill should be taken before him in competitive leagues. Heck, I could make the case for Gordon too. Either way, come August, he won't be that high, brah.

Edited by buckeyestilidie

9 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

^^^ This

Although I agree with the majority of the post, this is the key indicator that has me avoiding DAdams at his current price. 

I like the way he’s developing, I like that he's assumed responsibility for his mistakes—maturing on the field and mentally—but I have yet to see Adams as a #1 for Rodgers and worthy of the high price tag. If I’m wrong, if Adams churns out WR1 numbers and not the WR2 numbers I’m projecting, I’ll draft him in 2019, but at current price there are plenty of other WRs and RBs I’d prefer.

56 minutes ago, Experienced Rookie said:

For me, the association with Rodgers assures production, but at what level? I didn’t like the way Adams failed to produce two years ago with 

Jordy out (2015 season), didn’t like his failure in not leveling up. I don’t expect Cobb or Allison to steal the show, though I do expect Graham to be a TD magnet in the red zone. I also like TyMont and the rookies, especially J’Mon. All in all, I can’t write that Round 2 / $45 check; I’m expecting WR2 production, occasionally +/-

Probably won’t own any adams this year as I’d start to take him early 3rd. I’m not sure tds in the past matter much. Rodgers boy and last year first round pick Nelson drew a lot of attention in GB. Adams is a red zone threat and definitely the least talented wide receiver going in that range. Discounting graham, Cobb (who will probably end up with more yards than Adams) and like the 15 receivers they drafted just bc Adams is listed number one on the depth chart 

but again, I see the upside, it’s just purely td upside and tds are hard to predict 

• Like 1

There's 4300 yards and 39 TDs to go around. 

Adams 1250 - 11

Graham 750 - 10

Cobb 900 - 6

Allison 575 - 5

Ty Mont 350 - 3

Williams 200 - 1

Jones 200 - 1

With an extra 275 yards and 2 TDs going to random WR4 or TE2. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Experienced Rookie said:

Adams 1250 - 11

Graham 750 - 10

Cobb 900 - 6

Allison 575 - 5

Ty Mont 350 - 3

Williams 200 - 1

Jones 200 - 1

With an extra 275 yards and 2 TDs going to random WR4 or TE2. 

You can try to do that all you want but you actually have no idea what's going to happen. 

Maybe one of the rookies catches 10 TD's.  They did draft some pretty tall guys.  Maybe Graham scored 16 TD's not 10.  Maybe Allison has double digit TD's, if James Jones can do it then why can't somebody else?  Maybe the defense improves and Rodgers TD's decrease.  More rushing TD's?

The real reason I'm not high on Adam's is because there's a clear talent gap between him and the other WR's drafted in the same round.  Somebody else could emerge in this offense, especially with Rodgers throwing them the ball.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

You can try to do that all you want but you actually have no idea what's going to happen. 

Maybe one of the rookies catches 10 TD's.  They did draft some pretty tall guys.  Maybe Graham scored 16 TD's not 10.  Maybe Allison has double digit TD's, if James Jones can do it then why can't somebody else?  Maybe the defense improves and Rodgers TD's decrease.  More rushing TD's?

The real reason I'm not high on Adam's is because there's a clear talent gap between him and the other WR's drafted in the same round.  Somebody else could emerge in this offense, especially with Rodgers throwing them the ball.

You can spin it any way you want. The fact is, the league leader for TDs plays for GB. Rodgers is his QB. I'm betting that he leads his own team in TDs over a random rookie suddenly exploding. 

Fantasty football is as much about situation and opportunity as it is about raw talent. Adams is in one of the best situations in the whole league. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, buckeyestilidie said:

EDIT: After looking on FFC, Adams does have a second round price tag, but have you seen the guys going under him? Household names like Evans, Allen, and Hill should be taken before him in competitive leagues. Heck, I could make the case for Gordon too. Either way, come August, he won't be that high, brah.

I would love to hear the reasoning behind Hill and Gordon being taken before Adams.

4 hours ago, Evincar said:

I would love to hear the reasoning behind Hill and Gordon being taken before Adams.

I can't imagine taking Hill or Gordon first. That's not smart with the Browns and Chiefs and Much much worse or unknown QBs. A lot of folks arguing Adams before julio, Thomas. That's the gamble I don't see being a good. 

11 hours ago, predator_05 said:

Sure. How many is he gonna score? 20? He'll need to.

This is stupid even for you.  He'll have at least 1,000 yards and he has more TDs since the start of 2016 than any skill position player in the NFL.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Adams is the wr1 for the most pass happy QB in a tough NFC conference on a team with a less than stellar defense? You guys can debate over OBJ vs Hopkins and i will take Davante and keenan and not think twice about it.

Edited by dashoe
  • Haha 1

Top 10 in targets with Nelson gone, and Aaron Rodgers is his QB.   That's why.    Cobb's struggled lately.  Graham is a red zone threat and little else.  The run game is just ok at best, but the defense is sieve-y and still likely to lead to shootouts.    

I get the people who are questioning Adams right up against AJ Green and Mike Thomas's, but a flat out colossal bust?   The only argument for him busting is Rodgers or Adams getting hurt.   He's produced very well the last couple years.    Some of us see the window open for the volume he was missing to get to WR1 status, some dont, but he's not 2017 Amari Cooper or anything here.  

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

Adams is the wr1 for the most pass happy QB in a tough NFC conference on a team with a less than stellar defense? You guys can debate over OBJ vs Hopkins and i will take Davante and keenan and not think twice about it.

Not one time has he ever been the most pass happy QB in the NFC

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Top 10 in targets with Nelson gone, and Aaron Rodgers is his QB.   That's why.    Cobb's struggled lately.  Graham is a red zone threat and little else.  The run game is just ok at best, but the defense is sieve-y and still likely to lead to shootouts.    

I get the people who are questioning Adams right up against AJ Green and Mike Thomas's, but a flat out colossal bust?   The only argument for him busting is Rodgers or Adams getting hurt.   He's produced very well the last couple years.    Some of us see the window open for the volume he was missing to get to WR1 status, some dont, but he's not 2017 Amari Cooper or anything here.  

I would take Adams over Green without hesitation, regardless of format.

9 hours ago, Experienced Rookie said:

You can spin it any way you want.

Moore  1250 - 10

Graham 750 - 13

St. Brown 900 - 5

Valdez-Scantling 775 - 4

Ty Mont 650 - 4

Williams+Jones 200 - 1

Adams + Cobb = IR

Who can say (applicable to all threads), but I’d suggest the GB offense will surprise us, though Rodgers will be absolutely predictably on fire.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, joshua18 said:

I would take Adams over Green without hesitation, regardless of format.

I would too.   Green's stable and safe, but also in a much worse offense.    

9 hours ago, Experienced Rookie said:

You can spin it any way you want.

Yeah I know, that's the point.

10 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

Not one time has he ever been the most pass happy QB in the NFC

Come on guy stop. Seriously just stop.  Rodgers last full season he was around 38 or 39 attempts per game maybe Palmer edged him out in the NFC. Do you really want to quibble over that or are you simply trolling again?

How about this, Aaron Rodger passes multiple times a game which is above average for most QB's.  :lol:

10 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

Based on what? Certainly not production these past 2 years. 

Reminds me of the days when the masses thought AB wasn't in Julio or Megatron's league because he was "only a 6th round pick". Or when the masses thought CP84 was better than Keenan Allen because he was drafted 2 rds sooner.

47 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Come on guy stop. Seriously just stop.  Rodgers last full season he was around 38 or 39 attempts per game maybe Palmer edged him out in the NFC. Do you really want to quibble over that or are you simply trolling again?

How about this, Aaron Rodgers passes multiple times a game which is above average for most QB's.  :lol:

That was ONE season and he was beat out by Palmer and Brees.  He's usually not in the top 3 in pass attempts and I love how you had to narrow it down to only the NFC.

The thing about these forums is that if you say something it actually has to be true.

49 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Based on what? Certainly not production these past 2 years. 

Reminds me of the days when the masses thought AB wasn't in Julio or Megatron's league because he was "only a 6th round pick". Or when the masses thought CP84 was better than Keenan Allen because he was drafted 2 rds sooner.

It took him 3 whole seasons with Aaron Rodgers to start producing and most of his production is TD based.  If you think he's anywhere near as talented as Julio Jones, Michael Thomas, AJ Green, Mike Evans, or Keenan Allen you're lying to yourself.

1 hour ago, cohenstantinople said:

Moore  1250 - 10

Graham 750 - 13

St. Brown 900 - 5

Valdez-Scantling 775 - 4

Ty Mont 650 - 4

Williams+Jones 200 - 1

Adams + Cobb = IR

Who can say (applicable to all threads), but I’d suggest the GB offense will surprise us, though Rodgers will be absolutely predictably on fire.

Difference is my breakdown looks realistic. Not this total nonsense. 

26 minutes ago, Experienced Rookie said:

Difference is my breakdown looks realistic. Not this total nonsense. 

Nonsense wins leagues.

• Haha 1