RMJ_12

Davante Adams 2018 Season Outlook

Posted (edited)

not sure i can add much to this but one thing being overlooked here is the contract adams signed in december. they made him the 4th highest paid wr in the league at the time. the pack sure believe in him and there is a great chance he maintains his td producing prowess and gets better as a complete reciever. what @predator_05 doesn't see is what adams did beyond the numbers. he wasn't merely locked onto by hundley or a product of rodgers. let's give the man some credit like gb did with the raise...

he has become extremely adept at double moves. that is why hundley could hit him often. the guy can beat top corners with this in his arsenal. it serves him well outside the numbers and as a deep threat. he was always good as a possession guy and redzone threat but he evolved into more. in his contract year he also got in the best shape of his career indicating he was working hard to continue to improve, which he did as the tape shows. he got better. he could still get better. he is a complete wr now. the pack develop them well. remember jordy took some time as well

opposing teams figured it out fast last year too. they turned their attention to adams even before rodgers got hurt. that didn't stop him. nor did hundley. last year he had the second highest passing rating while being targeted even with hundley. i wouldn't ignore these things because of what he used to be. the pack know what they have. the league knows what he is now. i'm all over that this year

Edited by Packdog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Packdog said:

not sure i can add much to this but one thing being overlooked here is the contract adams signed in december. they made him the 4th highest paid wr in the league at the time. the pack sure believe in him and there is a great chance he maintains his td producing prowess and gets better as a complete reciever. what @predator_05 doesn't see is what adams did beyond the numbers. he wasn't merely locked onto by hundley or a product of rodgers. let's give the man some credit like gb did with the raise...

he has become extremely adept at double moves. that is why hundley could hit him often. the guy can beat top corners with this in his arsenal. it serves him well outside the numbers and as a deep threat. he was always good as a possession guy and redzone threat but he evolved into more. in his contract year he also got in the best shape of his career indicating he was working hard to continue to improve, which he did as the tape shows. he got better. he could still get better. he is a complete wr now. the pack develop them well. remember jordy took some time as well

opposing teams figured it out fast last year too. they turned their attention to adams even before rodgers got hurt. that didn't stop him. nor did hundley. last year he had the second highest passing rating while being targeted even with hundley. i wouldn't ignore these things because of what he used to be. the pack know what they have. the league knows what he is now. i'm all over that this year

That's where i disagree. I don't think he's anything more than that. His game can't get much better.

Issue for me is that a lot of the optimism is based on what he 'could' be, rather than what he actually is. And that's fine, if you're drafting him in the late 3rd or 4th round. Not in the 2nd round over guys like AJ Green, Julio, Michael Thomas, etc.

1 minute ago, predator_05 said:

That's where i disagree. I don't think he's anything more than that. His game can't get much better.

Issue for me is that a lot of the optimism is based on what he 'could' be, rather than what he actually is. And that's fine, if you're drafting him in the late 3rd or 4th round. Not in the 2nd round over guys like AJ Green, Julio, Michael Thomas, etc.

but the tape shows he transcended that at the start of last year. the opponents of the pack took note fast. the team itself was very pleased and adams was rewarded. he continued to show it all season. he earned his new contract. it's not "could be" anymore. you are hating on him for what he "used to be."

10 minutes ago, Packdog said:

but the tape shows he transcended that at the start of last year. the opponents of the pack took note fast. the team itself was very pleased and adams was rewarded. he continued to show it all season. he earned his new contract. it's not "could be" anymore. you are hating on him for what he "used to be."

Lol, i don't "hate" Adams. I just don't think he's worth a 2nd round pick in redraft.

Not sure why the contract even matters here. It's not a very big contract; $18 million guaranteed puts him below Desean jackson and emmanuel sanders. He's a valuable player in real life, relatively young, and a good guy in the locker room, so he was always getting a new deal.

6 hours ago, Lord_Varys said:

KpJM9rW.jpg

Tbf, you did just post a graphic stating Adams finished worse than all those guys except for Evans, but you tried to sort it so it wouldn’t appear that way. Ppg doesn’t matter much when someone’s one concussion away from missing most of the season. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Experienced Rookie said:

ESB?

Empire Strikes Back?

Equanimous st brown. Dude hyped as a third round pick in most mocks that fell to the 6th I believe. Rumor has it it’s bc he told be he wouldn’t play on special teams 

also the st brown brothers are kindve like the ball brothers lol

2 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Lol, i don't "hate" Adams. I just don't think he's worth a 2nd round pick in redraft.

Not sure why the contract even matters here. It's not a very big contract; $18 million guaranteed puts him below Desean jackson and emmanuel sanders. He's a valuable player in real life, relatively young, and a good guy in the locker room, so he was always getting a new deal.

i'm just trying to enlighten you. you called out the credibility of anyone who drafts adams over certain other wrs. saying he's not complete like them when he has shown he is. you obviously didn't watch the tape which is evident by you assuming hundley merely "locked on to him." be careful on calling out others before doing your own homework. he is more than what you are claiming him to be. you would see that if you observed it more. adams is a hard working film junkie who has developed and improved to be a complete wr. the pack knows it, the league knows it, adams knows it, i know it, and others who like him this year prolly know it too. i am merely questioning your own credibility in assessing a player's skill by your analysis on adams

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Packdog said:

i'm just trying to enlighten you. you called out the credibility of anyone who drafts adams over certain other wrs. saying he's not complete like them when he has shown he is. you obviously didn't watch the tape which is evident by you assuming hundley merely "locked on to him." be careful on calling out others before doing your own homework.

I didn't assume that, i saw it on my TV. And the numbers bear it out.

Do you really believe he's as good as Green, Julio, MT or Keenan?

3 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

i believe there's very good reasons for him to be drafted where he is going. i also believe you were too hasty in your analysis of him. better is relative. gotta factor in opportunity as well. those wrs you are comparing him too got a little better as a group now too it seems from your earlier knocks on him. 

and idk what you saw on tv but you did get plenty things wrong on him. he's not merely a possession and redzone guy anymore. he can beat top coverage as he shown last year (which focused on him before rodgers even went down), he wasn't merely locked onto...he was open. he is a better and complete wr now

9 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

WHO CARES?!?!

Yes, the others are all better football players than Adams. So what!

If AJ is so much better, then why did Adams outscore him on a per game basis in a year when Aaron Rodgers got hurt? HOW?

Its not just about talent dude. Opportunity and situation is a huge element. That's why Adams is a better pick than a guy like AJ. 

Keenan and MT? Sure, nothing wrong with taking those guys over Adams. Both have fantastic situations too. Doesn't mean they'll outscore him though. 

Keenan has never been big on TD's, but that might change now that HH is gone and there's no significant TE taking his place.  Adams now has to battle with Graham for redzone targets being that he's such a hog.  In PPR i'm locked in on Allen over the two, and standard it's a little murkier, possibly with Adams having the edge.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, kdko said:

Keenan has never been big on TD's, but that might change now that HH is gone and there's no significant TE taking his place.  Adams now has to battle with Graham for redzone targets being that he's such a hog.  In PPR i'm locked in on Allen over the two, and standard it's a little murkier, possibly with Adams having the edge.

He has to battle with Graham, but Jordy is gone now too. Dude had 20 TDs over the last 2 years. 

1 hour ago, Packdog said:

i believe there's very good reasons for him to be drafted where he is going. i also believe you were too hasty in your analysis of him. better is relative. gotta factor in opportunity as well. those wrs you are comparing him too got a little better as a group now too it seems from your earlier knocks on him. 

No doubt, he's definitely got a hype train running. Lots of optimism on twitter as well. We'll see where he finishes.

• Like 1

If AJ is so much better, then why did Adams outscore him on a per game basis in a year when Aaron Rodgers got hurt?  HOW?

1.  Brett Hundley targeted Adams more than Rodgers did.

2.  Cincinnati had possibly the worst offensive line in the league.

3.  The Packers didn't have Jimmy Graham on their team.

F.Y.I. all those things have changed.

• Like 1

Its not just about talent dude. Opportunity and situation is a huge element. That's why Adams is a better pick than a guy like AJ. 

No, he's not.  Lower floor and lower ceiling.

42 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

1.  Brett Hundley targeted Adams more than Rodgers did.

2.  Cincinnati had possibly the worst offensive line in the league.

3.  The Packers didn't have Jimmy Graham on their team.

F.Y.I. all those things have changed.

This is getting down right hilarious. You Adams haters are now arguing that having Brett freaking Hundley as the guy throwing you the ball for half a season was a plus. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

No, he's not.  Lower floor and lower ceiling.

AJ Green is averaging 13.15 points per game the last 2 years

Devante Adams is averaging 13.11 points per game over the last 2 years. 

Jordy Nelson is now gone. 

AJ has Dalton

Adams has Rodgers

Lets not over complicate this. 

39 minutes ago, Experienced Rookie said:

This is getting down right hilarious. You Adams haters are now arguing that having Brett freaking Hundley as the guy throwing you the ball for half a season was a plus. 

It's the same reason DeAndre Hopkins was better with Tom Savage than he was with Deshaun Watson.  Don't act like it's a stupid concept.  He TARGETED him more.

30 minutes ago, Experienced Rookie said:

AJ Green is averaging 13.15 points per game the last 2 years

Devante Adams is averaging 13.11 points per game over the last 2 years. 

Jordy Nelson is now gone. 

AJ has Dalton

Adams has Rodgers

Lets not over complicate this. 

That's exactly what you're doing.

Why did you only go back 2 years?  lol.  Adams had the same opportunities in 2015 and fell flat on his face.

Use 2 year averages all you want.  In 2016 Green battled injuries and still matched Adams yardage.  The difference?  HE ONLY PLAYED 10 GAMES!

Last year was basically an outlier for AJ Green, it was his worst season to date based on efficiency.  The Bengals offense was downright putrid.  They'll come back to earth in 2018.

Can we stop this "Jordy's gone" crap now?  The Packers replaced Jordy Nelson and Richard Rodgers/Martellus Bennett with Geranimo Allison/Rookie WR and Jimmy Graham.  Production won't be that much different coming from those 2 spots combined.

Now that RMJ has chimed in and he & Predator agree that Adams is not a viable 2nd rounder I think I might take him first overall.

Who else do you guys hate early?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, predator_05 said:

Why standard and why not PPR?

And I'm not taking Marvin Jones over any of your highlighted names either.

Because Standard is the standard.

Marvin Jones had never broken 8 points per game before last year's explosion.  He only had 61  receptions.  Golladay is coming in full time.  All kinds of context screams unsustainability.

Adams has done it before, loses Jordy, and gets Rodgers back full time.  

Edited by Lord_Varys

Do you want Jordy Nelson 2.0 with Rodgers passing him the ball on your team? If the answer is yes then Adams is a no brainer

6 hours ago, Experienced Rookie said:

captain-america-chris-evans-salute.gif

The only thing I'm worried about is the concussions. The talent and, more importantly, the opportunity are both there to warrant his ADP. 

6 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

It's the same reason DeAndre Hopkins was better with Tom Savage than he was with Deshaun Watson.  Don't act like it's a stupid concept.  He TARGETED him more.

2 questions: 

Adams’ best stat is his tds...are we to assume all targets are created equal?   Seems a given the Pack will have more RZ chances and score more with Rodgers.  

It’s one thing to get targeted heavily in short stretches by a backup qb-  AB had great numbers when BB went out after all....  are you claiming a backup qb is a good thing for WR stats as a rule?