RMJ_12

Davante Adams 2018 Season Outlook

My take after all of the @RMJ_12 'winning" is Adams should finish as a top10 wr, the jimmy graham impact on adams fantasy value is severely overrated and Cobb is ridiculously cheap as the wr2 on the packers.

1 hour ago, BrianM said:

Serious question- are we sure Cobb's not playing in 2 WR sets?    I think he did back in 2014, which was a Nelson dominated year, with no James Jones and rookie Davante Adams.   Since then, there has always been two of of those three healthy and locked in to a role.    This year, only one established outside WR exists.  

Who's got PFF or FO data on where Cobb lines up, and how often GB goes 3 wide or more?

No-  we aren’t sure.   Nor is looking at the past a great indicator of what to expect in 2018.  This is a very different group-  less experience at wr than they’ve had in recent memory.    Cobb could and should see the field as much as necessary depending on the development of their wr2.   Allison, ESB, and the rest of the jokers don’t inspire much confidence.   Plus you have 2 promising rookie backs which allows Ty to play a flanker/slot role where he’s most dangerous.    

Cobb could garner a real nice snap share, especially early.     But none of that matters for Adams purpose.   Stay healthy and he’ll be a good to great pick in the second. 

Keeping an open mind about it- can't take it personal if someone disagrees with you.   Im not sure why these always go off the rails.   This also reminds me of the Amari Cooper thread, where I'm in essence the RMJ_12   who does not get the hype.   Its all good. 

One factor i've considered that maybe changes the narrative a bit that nobody's mentioned- the TE depth they have now.  Graham is Graham.  Lewis isn't really a huge threat but he's at least a decent player and I wonder if they could use more 2TE sets as a result.  Kendricks also is a decent backup.    Wondering if that's the answer to the riddle of where the targets go. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Keeping an open mind about it- can't take it personal if someone disagrees with you.   Im not sure why these always go off the rails.   This also reminds me of the Amari Cooper thread, where I'm in essence the RMJ_12   who does not get the hype.   Its all good. 

One factor i've considered that maybe changes the narrative a bit that nobody's mentioned- the TE depth they have now.  Graham is Graham.  Lewis isn't really a huge threat but he's at least a decent player and I wonder if they could use more 2TE sets as a result.  Kendricks also is a decent backup.    Wondering if that's the answer to the riddle of where the targets go. 

Here’s how I’m looking at GB right now-  Tell me if I’m off base anywhere.

Rodgers hasn’t had a TE do much in a long time.   J.Finley had promise before that career ending injury — but since then it’s been one mediocre season after another.     So we’re expecting Graham to do something that’s out of character for that role.  And stay healthy at a position that takes a beating, with a qb not known for featuring TEs.    It’s a lot to ask.    

Cobb has been in a walking boot and has his own injury history.  He’s also a slot wr by trade.

Ty Monty’s sickle cell gets him every year.  Don’t know when but he’ll miss time. 

So yes,  I think the backup TEs will be part of the puzzle.    The one constant for Rodgers is Davante Adams.    The more we discuss it the more my confidence grows.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BrianM said:

Serious question- are we sure Cobb's not playing in 2 WR sets?    I think he did back in 2014, which was a Nelson dominated year, with no James Jones and rookie Davante Adams.   Since then, there has always been two of of those three healthy and locked in to a role.    This year, only one established outside WR exists.  

Who's got PFF or FO data on where Cobb lines up, and how often GB goes 3 wide or more?

Why does it matter where Cobb lines up?  Really don’t inderstand how this is relevant to Adams.

4 hours ago, dashoe said:

My take after all of the @RMJ_12 'winning" is Adams should finish as a top10 wr, the jimmy graham impact on adams fantasy value is severely overrated and Cobb is ridiculously cheap as the wr2 on the packers.

Funny because our debate had absolutely nothing to do with Davante Adams.

13 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

Funny because our debate had absolutely nothing to do with Davante Adams.

the entire thread mate, I take a comprehensive approach :)

55 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

Why does it matter where Cobb lines up?  Really don’t inderstand how this is relevant to Adams.

Was mentioned in the debate earlier- me saying no other WR will need to have a role, and therefore Adams is sure to see more targets.  The counter was that Cobb will be off the field on 2 WR sets, so someone else has to have a role.     

4 hours ago, Chwf3rd said:

Its doesn't.  As long as Rodgers is healthy Adams should be a beast.  A healthy Rodgers should be good for 35 to 40 tds.  So even if Jimmy G gets 10 TDs(which I doubt).  That will still leave 25 to 30 more TDs for the Wr's and RB's.  My bet is on Adams filling the Jordy role and get 12 to 15 of those.

1 hour ago, youngrice said:

Its doesn't.  As long as Rodgers is healthy Adams should be a beast.  A healthy Rodgers should be good for 35 to 40 tds.  So even if Jimmy G gets 10 TDs(which I doubt).  That will still leave 25 to 30 more TDs for the Wr's and RB's.  My bet is on Adams filling the Jordy role and get 12 to 15 of those.

A good bet, considering he's scored more TDs than Antonio Brown the past 2 years despite missing 2 games and having Hundley as his QB for 9 of his 30 (30%) games in that stretch.

Probably the highest TD floor of any WR in the league, considering:

1. He's the only WR with double-digit TDs in each of the past 2 seasons

2. He's shown he's not a product of Rodgers

5 hours ago, youngrice said:

Yup that's how I see it.  Either: (A) he doesnt become the new Jordy but is still a starting outside WR for ARod and thus should be good for around 950/10 and finish around WR10; or (B) he hits his upside, generating the same looks as Jordy, and finishes as a Top 5 WR with around 1200/12.

Absolutely love that combination of floor + ceiling in the late 1st/early 2nd.

5 hours ago, joshua18 said:

A good bet, considering he's scored more TDs than Antonio Brown the past 2 years despite missing 2 games and having Hundley as his QB for 9 of his 30 (30%) games in that stretch.

Yep what he did last year was really amazing.  To finish as a top 15 WR playing with possibly the worst QB in the NFL.  I remember watching a few games where he should of had 3 tds if Hundley could throw.

22 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Key point is AARON RODGERS throws TD's and adams will catch some of them. 

I think rodgers averages 1 game per season without a passing TD.  There is no other pass catcher on this team that has the talent, experience and rapport with Rodgers to outperform  Adams and Cobbs is the closest so I'm ok betting on Davante finishing as a top 5 fantasy wr. 

5 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Key point is AARON RODGERS throws TD's and adams will catch some of them. 

I think rodgers averages 1 game per season without a passing TD.  There is no other pass catcher on this team that has the talent, experience and rapport with Rodgers to outperform  Adams and Cobbs is the closest so I'm ok betting on Davante finishing as a top 5 fantasy wr. 

Me too in PPR. Top-3 in standard. 

Idk. Someone needs to breakdown the cb1s the packers the packers face bc I’d venture a lot of cbs can shutdown a low tier wr1 like Adams. Better hope Rhodes closed etc don’t shadow this guy

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

Idk. Someone needs to breakdown the cb1s the packers the packers face bc I’d venture a lot of cbs can shutdown a low tier wr1 like Adams. Better hope Rhodes closed etc don’t shadow this guy

Adams supporters will tell you he did very well against CB1's last year, but will fail to tell you he didn't really face any top tier CB1's.

This year he'll continue facing Rhodes and Slay twice (which he only did once each last year), Josh Norman, Patrick Peterson, Tre'davious White, Aqib Talib, and Richard Sherman.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

Adams supporters will tell you he did very well against CB1's last year, but will fail to tell you he didn't really face any top tier CB1's.

This year he'll continue facing Rhodes and Slay twice (which he only did once each last year), Josh Norman, Patrick Peterson, Tre'davious White, Aqib Talib, and Richard Sherman.

He certainly did better against top CBs last year (without Rodgers, mind you) than Keenan Allen did 😉

Allen struggled against top CBs and then exploded vs the subpar  ones (BUF, DAL, etc.) 

Edited by joshua18

58 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

You mean like how Rhodes shut down Marvin Jones (an inferior WR to Adams) on Thanksgiving last year?

Not worried at all.

7 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

He certainly did better against top CBs last year (without Rodgers, mind you) than Keenan Allen did 😉

Allen struggled against top CBs and then exploded vs the subpar  ones (BUF, DAL, etc.) 

haha, yes but the Packers added a TE.  The Chargers lost one.

4 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

haha, yes but the Packers added a TE.  The Chargers lost one.

GB also added an MVP QB 😉

9 minutes ago, Experienced Rookie said:

When was the last time that we looked back on a down season for a WR and said "Oh yeah. You see? It was all those tough corner backs he faced. That's why he had a bad year." ??

Sammy Watkins last year. Murderous stretch of CBs, so Goff/McVay never even tried to target him as a result (70 targets all season 🤦‍♂️ )

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Sammy Watkins last year. Murderous stretch of CBs, so Goff/McVay never even tried to target him as a result (70 targets all season 🤦‍♂️ )

Yeah, but at some point defenses have to adjust, right?

Watkins wasn't the WR hurting opponents. If he was only averaging 4 targets a game, what kind of defensive coordinator puts their #1 CB on him? 

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/tredavious-white/11782

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/28/nfl-pro-bowl-snub-tredavious-white-jalen-ramsey-aqib-talib-marshon-lattimore/

White was no subpar corner.