osb_tensor

Shane Bieber- SP CLE

The Biebs back to his dominant self, now in AAA.  6.2IP, 5 hits, 1ER, 0BB, 7Ks. 76 of 103 pitches for strikes. :wub:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WOW!! Watching his game on milb.tv. Bieber is much much better then I expected before this season. Hes basically too good for these hitters. Commanding everything with precision and looks like a classic 60's pitching ace that pitches like an art form instead of with power. But his fastball is actually getting up into the mid 90s. I'm grabbing this kid now because he's not owned in my league

• Like 2

yea, caught that game too. to me it looked like he has 3-4 plus pitches (well atleast in this start). I like your comp to a classic pitcher who paints with his pitches & throws everything with pinpoint accuracy. bieber was hitting all 4 corners. getting first pitch strikes on his fastball and then letting his other pitches keep the hitters guessing. if bieber can pitch like this, he's going to be a really good one. charlotte does not have great hitters so it won't be this always be this easy

• Like 2

Final line: 8 IP, 3 hits, 0 ER, 0 BB, 8 Ks

He is completely dominating.

• Like 1

I'm guessing it wouldn't be too surprising to see Bieber up in June if Plutko bombs taking over for Tomlin as the 5th starter.  Plutko was pretty good in AAA too, so who knows.

• Like 1

On ‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎20 at 7:04 PM, BigPapi44 said:

Final line: 8 IP, 3 hits, 0 ER, 0 BB, 8 Ks

He is completely dominating.

Don't look now, The Biebs throwing a PERFECT GAME thru 7IP with 7 Ks.

• Like 4

What are the requirements for ESPN to add him?

Noticed Bieber wasn't a top 100 prospect on MILB.com entering the season.  Too much early season excitement?  Or is this someone that if an updated list were to be created would have a chance at cracking the top 50?

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2018 at 7:04 PM, BigPapi44 said:

1 hour ago, Magnus88 said:

Noticed Bieber wasn't a top 100 prospect on MILB.com entering the season.  Too much early season excitement?  Or is this someone that if an updated list were to be created would have a chance at cracking the top 50?

Not sure how most scouts feel about his overall upside but I think there's gonna be atleast 1 that has him top 50. I know I would at this point. And with his velocity gains this season, there's a better chance more would.

He's consistently been sitting between 93-94mph on his FB while being able to hit 95 multiple times and continuing to deep into the game.

He's made huge gains with every pitch in his arsenal, FB/CB/SL&CH. Before this season he was just looking like an elite control artist who's stuff only plays up because of his 80 grade command & control. But this season the development of all his pitches has raised his ceiling immensely. And the best part is even if he doesn't end up the next cliff Lee/Greg maddux type, his floor is incredibly high as a 200+ innings eating, super low walk, low whip, decent strikeout pitcher who will pitch many gems and he's the perfect candidate to pitch a perfect game in the majors because of his elite control, elite ability to limit hits and to always have very low pitch counts(I know that sounds crazy but he really is the perfect candidate) .

I'm starting to fall into the category of believing Biebers going to be a big time pitcher. Im trying to catch every start on milb.tv and I'm constantly blown away by his ability to just toy with hitters endlessly by hitting the corners, changing speeds, mixing his pitches along with locating every one of his pitches with pinpoint accuracy and doing it every inning of every game like a proven veteran. I'm so f-ing excited to see what he can do in the majors. His time is coming very very soon. Hes a guaranteed callup for the next injury to an Indians starter now that Plutkos up.

Man, I try to temper my expectations but Bieber is doing to me what Acuna did to me last season

Edited by JakeSarna
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, JakeSarna said:

Man, I try to temper my expectations but Bieber is doing to me what Acuna did to me last season

So you're a belieber then? 😂 sorry that was too easy

Great write up man, lots of useful info.

Keith Law seems to be a fan:

Bill: Love the chats, will finally be getting around to your book this summer. What are your thoughts on Shane Bieber’s ceiling? 

Keith Law: Lack of huge stuff might mean a league average ceiling but the command is very real and should help him pitch well above what the radar gun might indicate.

12 hours ago, JakeSarna said:

Not sure how most scouts feel about his overall upside but I think there's gonna be atleast 1 that has him top 50. I know I would at this point. And with his velocity gains this season, there's a better chance more would.

He's consistently been sitting between 93-94mph on his FB while being able to hit 95 multiple times and continuing to deep into the game.

He's made huge gains with every pitch in his arsenal, FB/CB/SL&CH. Before this season he was just looking like an elite control artist who's stuff only plays up because of his 80 grade command & control. But this season the development of all his pitches has raised his ceiling immensely. And the best part is even if he doesn't end up the next cliff Lee/Greg maddux type, his floor is incredibly high as a 200+ innings eating, super low walk, low whip, decent strikeout pitcher who will pitch many gems and he's the perfect candidate to pitch a perfect game in the majors because of his elite control, elite ability to limit hits and to always have very low pitch counts(I know that sounds crazy but he really is the perfect candidate) .

I'm starting to fall into the category of believing Biebers going to be a big time pitcher. Im trying to catch every start on milb.tv and I'm constantly blown away by his ability to just toy with hitters endlessly by hitting the corners, changing speeds, mixing his pitches along with locating every one of his pitches with pinpoint accuracy and doing it every inning of every game like a proven veteran. I'm so f-ing excited to see what he can do in the majors. His time is coming very very soon. Hes a guaranteed callup for the next injury to an Indians starter now that Plutkos up.

Any of the offspeed pitches grade as plus?  And what about groundball rate?  I do like the fact that he would pitch in the AL Central.  Pitching in that division would allow Bieber to feast on some bad lineups.

Love this guy but what scenario will he start for them? Multiple injuries maybe.

18 hours ago, B&F said:

Love this guy but what scenario will he start for them? Multiple injuries maybe.

It shouldn't take much if Plutko falters as some point since Tomlin is in the pen and needs to stay there.  If Plutko continues to pitch good, then the only way I see it is an injury.  It would be a shame if Bieber didn't get a chance this season.

• Like 5

I have this guy in two of my keeper leagues and my Canadian grand-daughters just love it when I tell them I have Beiber on my team!

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, grover33 said:

Is he a must add?

Well if you're in an ESPN league you won't be able to bc he's not in the player pool. Bush league.

So is he a must add on Yahoo then? :lol:

57 minutes ago, smeeze said:

So is he a must add on Yahoo then? :lol:

No, but take a long look.

This guy is a lotto ticket. He's slated for a spot start, of course if he pitches well he could get another. I would not drop anyone of value for him, but hey -- if you are off to a meh week pitching wise and need a stream, he should definitely be targeted.

He has great numbers, but this league-average stuff is scary. 

Biebs may not have a very high ceiling at the big league level but he should be in ESPN player pool by now. Shame. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CrypTviLL said:

No, but take a long look.

This guy is a lotto ticket. He's slated for a spot start, of course if he pitches well he could get another. I would not drop anyone of value for him, but hey -- if you are off to a meh week pitching wise and need a stream, he should definitely be targeted.

He has great numbers, but this league-average stuff is scary. 

League average stuff?  Fastball has been sitting at 93 to 94, which is decent.  Any of his breaking pitches grade as plus?

Also Hendricks has been elite for two+ years despite not being able to hit 90 mph.  A big part of the success is his plus changeup.  Does Bieber have a good changeup?