osb_tensor

Shane Bieber- SP CLE

Called up to start Thursday and I can't wait to see if everything he's done carries over. I know it's only a spot start from what I read but he's too good for the minors.

Edited by JakeSarna
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Magnus88 said:

League average stuff?  Fastball has been sitting at 93 to 94, which is decent.  Any of his breaking pitches grade as plus?

Also Hendricks has been elite for two+ years despite not being able to hit 90 mph.  A big part of the success is his plus changeup.  Does Bieber have a good changeup?

Fangraphs put a future 60 on his CB but yeah, League average stuff with a little juice on the new FB velos. ++ Command. You see a lot more ++ FB than you do ++ Command, but comparable worth IMO. Current top ten in MLB BB/9: 

Daniel Mengden 

Miles Mikolas

Bartolo Colon

Corey Kluber

Zack Greinke

Alex Wood

Ivan Nova

Sean Manaea

Jose Berrios

Rick Porcello

Out if the top twenty, the only guys I wouldn't roster are Nova, Matt Harvey, Mike Fiers and Mike Minor. It's a high floor for a flier. Bieber's current 0.41 BB/9 across two levels would make him one of 3 SP with <1 BB/9, tops by a wide margin to Mengden's 0.81. If he manages the butterflies and hits his spots (2 of his 3 walks this season came in his first start at AAA) he should be worth an add.

• Like 3

While his secondaries are seen as somewhat average, all of his pitches play up because of his double plus command and control. His fastball does sit closer to the mid-90s these days, and his elite ability to locate it is what takes it easily into plus territory. Bieber does have a very improved curveball (55/60) which this season has improved even more. His slider (50/60) and changeup (50/55) are both very decent pitches and both seem to be continuing to improve.

With Bieber you have to remember that even if he has 'league average stuff', they all play up because of his plus-plus ability to locate/command and control all of them along with knowing how to deploy and mix his arsenal throughout games. He keeps low pitch counts, never walks anyone, limits hits and is inducing much more GO this season.

Basically every grade his pitches have you can add a bit on to it because of his elite command & control. Everything plays up because of it. And no one will ever know how someone translates once they get to the majors but pitchers with such advanced control & high floors have a tendency to do better right away and consistently then elite stuff high risk/high reward pitchers with average control.

• Like 1

**Reposted in main forum

Edited by STLSU

Was able to pick him up in my league ... looking forward to seeing what he can do as it seems like the Indians have done well developing their pitchers lately

1 hour ago, FSUMARK said:

Was able to pick him up in my league ... looking forward to seeing what he can do as it seems like the Indians have done well developing their pitchers lately

What format?  ESPN?  If he's not on ESPN yet then will he be added the day after he starts?  I'm putting my claims in either way.  61K:3BB ratio is insane.

Is he already with the team ? 

If I put in a faab fur him and he isn't activated until Thursday I lose him and my faab money . Bids go in weds night by 8:00 pm

He's not in ESPN's database yet

9 hours ago, FJZ12 said:

What format?  ESPN?  If he's not on ESPN yet then will he be added the day after he starts?  I'm putting my claims in either way.  61K:3BB ratio is insane.

I assume Yahoo.  He's been in the database since this spring.

On 5/29/2018 at 5:56 PM, Cdub2k said:

He's not in ESPN's database yet

Night before scheduled start. Still not in the database. C'MON MAN!

A player not already in the ESPN database will not be added until after the player actually makes his first start. Then the player is added to waivers and the entire league has a chance to put in a claim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SpartyinFoCo said:

Just got added to the ESPN database.

Thanks. literally no consistency to how ESPN handles this. Trash. 

3 hours ago, SpartyinFoCo said:

Just got added to the ESPN database.

doesnt do ppl any good. he shouldve been added so he'd clear waivers before his start not 2 days after the start

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Letitbe793 said:

I completely agree. Doesn't do people any good if he hasn't cleared waivers. 

47 minutes ago, Letitbe793 said:

It's not really that inconsistent. He's starting today. He'd be added either today or tomorrow per ESPN standards typically and he still set for waivers.

I agree with others, he should have been added prior to his start so we could use him, but that's how ESPN works so we gotta deal with it.

8 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

It's not really that inconsistent. He's starting today. He'd be added either today or tomorrow per ESPN standards typically and he still set for waivers.

I agree with others, he should have been added prior to his start so we could use him, but that's how ESPN works so we gotta deal with it.

Its been all over the place this season actually. In past years its always been day after his start. F. Peralta was added after his start. Bieber before his start. 

Then random guys like Corbin Burnes who werent in system to begin season and therefore shouldnt be added until after their start get added randomly before they're even called up midseason.

Anyways, don't wanna get too off topic so regarding Bieber...very excited about his debut. Francona has said he is being sent down but I think within a few weeks if not sooner he is named the 5 starter. Even if today isn't a great start, he is much better than Plutko. 

He will get set down, but when he comes back will be contingent, at least in part, on how he pitches tonight - obviously!!. I am interested in seeing how his control plays out. Hoping for the best as he sits at the end of my bench currently. 

Just in case you forgot, you were told to grab this guy.  The Biebs is going to be a really good fantasy piece.  Maybe not an ace, but this kid is going to pitch a lot of MLB innings.