Golden Spikes

Josh Naylor - 1B/DH, SD

And don't forget the hottest hitter in MiLB right now, Franmil Reyes, is also eyeing one of those corner OF spots.

2 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Or Hosmer shouldn't have been signed. ;)

I disagree, Hosmer makes the team better, and is a better player than Myers, also I didn't think the hitters would be developing as fast as they are, plus the failures of Pirela, Margot, Renfroe to date, give some other kids opportunity

On 5/2/2018 at 2:45 AM, bdy1 said:

2/5, 2BB, Hr, 3RBI tonight. Slashing .380/.457/.690 with 8 bombs and 24 RBI in 100 AB.

That was over a month ago.  Picked him up in my auction keeper....just checked and he is at just 10 HR, although he's doubled his RBI.

Any updates on this kid? Dude was raking last year I believe and he’s available in my league. He switch over full time to 1b? Any chance in hell he gets a shot this year in SD? I like a lot of his scouting reports.

Naylor has played exclusively LF this season. His 282/367/551 slash line looks good and his plate discipline remains excellent. His groundball rate is still his problem, it’s at 50% which is typical for him. He has the raw power to hit a lot more HR if he hits it in the air more.

Scouts aren’t buying him as an OF and of course there’s still Hosmer at 1B. He would be one of the biggest beneficiaries of a universal DH.

Posted (edited)

His AAA AVG over .300 and up to 10 HR on the year after his 2 HR performance last night. Playing exclusively corner outfield, I feel like he is nearing a promotion to the bigs.

Edited by bjvance5
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, bjvance5 said:

His AAA AVG over .300 and up to 10 HR on the year after his 2 HR performance last night. Playing exclusively corner outfield, I feel like he is nearing a promotion to the bigs.

But where is the path to PT? The organization seems to be all-in on Renfroe, Margot, and Reyes. I feel like the best chance for him to see routine playing time is via an injury. Maybe SD goes though a June nose-dive and they'll trade Hosmer. 

15 hours ago, LoGo said:

But where is the path to PT? The organization seems to be all-in on Renfroe, Margot, and Reyes. I feel like the best chance for him to see routine playing time is via an injury. Maybe SD goes though a June nose-dive and they'll trade Hosmer. 

No one is taking Hosmer's contract.

Best hope is that he gets packaged in a deal for a SP to another team at the deadline.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

No one is taking Hosmer's contract.

Best hope is that he gets packaged in a deal for a SP to another team at the deadline.

Preferably to an AL team so the glove never has to be an issue. 

2 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

.300 and 10 hr in the PCL would make him like 100th in both categories fwiw

True but he is just 21. Most of these guys putting up the numbers are 24-25-26 or older.

Like to see his fly ball percentage higher so he can really mash

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaGreatest said:

Called up.

Dennis Lin of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports the Padres are calling up 1B/OF prospect Josh Naylor.

Naylor is expected to make his big-league debut in his native Canada when the Padres travel to Toronto this weekend. Miami drafted Naylor 12th overall in 2015 but traded him the following year as part of a deal that netted the Marlins Andrew Cashner, Colin Rhea (for a few days) and Tayron Guerrero. The 21-year-old has had a productive year in the minors, hitting .299 with 10 homers, 35 RBI and just 24 strikeouts in 184 at-bats. He's considered the Padres' ninth-best prospect, according to MLB.com.

Source: Dennis Lin on Twitter     May 23, 2019, 9:30 PM ET

So who sits?  Or does he?  Why was he called up when there is no open spot for him in the field?  Maybe just for a quick cup of coffee as the DH in Toronto?  (God the NL has GOT to introduce the DH quicker than the 2022 target date.  Such old fuddy duddys more than a half century late to the party).

• Confused 1