Sign in to follow this  
Fuzzy_Slippers

4/14 - GAME DAY THREAD

On 4/13/2018 at 12:27 PM, taobball said:

Keeping an eye on: 

I absolutely love Mike Clevinger. 3rd Start today at home v. Jays. Sort of unravelled in the 4th. But these things happen. Faced 10 batters through the first 3 IP. Still has three nasty off-speed offerings when on. Not very concerned. Plus he managed to couple his walks together and then hit the homer, so all the damage occurred. The combination of the 5:2 K:BB and WHIP aren't too bad here. 

Andrew Heaney's Return from the DL Looked pretty sharp early to me. ed iSpecifically the break on the slider, which is backed by the metrics on this one. I did miss him giving up all the runs, but the 7:1 K:BB has to be encouraging on his first start returning from the UCL. I was very intrigued by this guy after he came over from Miami. And again, this LAA defense is INSANE. Didn't get Change-Up whiffs but the pitch didn't seem to kill him in-and-of-itself based on the Brooksboxscore (4 BIP, 3 Outs, a strike 72.7% of the time). The slider looked like a real weapon there and with the defense and his talent I think this was a very encouraging first start. And, like teammate Tropeano, he is FAR away from the 12-Month-TJS Recovery, and even well over that preferred 18 Month Range that I like to work with (I believe got TJS late Jun/Jul 2016). 

Luke Weaver v. Tyler Mahle could be an understated game to watch for pitching. Weaver looked good, saving the space for Mahle. Mahle's fastball is very sneaky. There was even a lot of broadcast discussion about it (I'm actually rewatching this game now for the first time in-person). Mahle said that he had never really heard much about it until AA because it's his natural motion, but once he got to AA opponents and Coaches discussed a lot about how he hides the fastball really well so it sneaks up on hitters. The problem right now is everything else. Mahle's slider only got a hair over 10+% Whiffs in his first stint and is repeating that figure so far this year. 10% isn't good for a slider. He also didn't throw his Change-Up as much last year (granted 20 IP sample), but these last two starts it has been getting hammered. 

Via Brooks, in those two starts he's thrown 31 Change-Ups (17.9%) and managed to generate zero Ks, a HR, a 2B, and 2 1Bs through 10 ABs. Small sample, but that's a .400/.800 BA and SLG. The Whiff% has been decent on the pitch, however. 

It was somewhat looked at as a positive after his first start, but after three starts he now has 14 Ks and 13 of them are on the Fastball. The Primary weapon may be the most important thing for a pitcher and I think Tyler Mahle has a really nice one for the basis of a potential future as an MLB starter. But if I'm grading the overall Arsenal right now it gets a poor grade. I'm not too interested in Mahle until we see more out of any secondary offering. 

Steve Matz coming off a good start. Two good starts and you really start to see signs of life and value... at the least while healthy. Overall I think a reasonably encouraging start for Matz. Haven't had a chance to check out too much of this game myself, but 5:2 K:BB and a guy we know has the talent. Brooks did also have him getting whiffs on all his pitches. 

Potential rebounds for Jacob Faria and Jordan Montgomery. Excellent game for Faria. 1 ER over 5.1 IP, 7 Ks to 1 BB. Got a couple whiffs on the Fastball, but got really solid whiffs on the Slider and Change-Up. And getting left out for the 7th killed what was otherwise a great game for Montgomery. 6.0 IP 1 ER after 6. Allowed a Single and Double without an out for 2 more ERs in the 7th. I won't critique the managerial decision as I wasn't actively watching at the time, but in hindsight it undeniably hurt Monty. 

(If the Sox play) How Reynaldo Lopez looks in start 3. Hah. 

Is Gerrit Cole truly an Ace? Yup. or at least as 96mnc said, sustainable or not he is MUST watch TV right now, because he's jaw dropping right now. 

Keeping an eye on: 

Garrett Richards v. Jakob Junis for Richard's Curveball and if Junis' lack of third pitch (at least as we've seen to date) starts to show signs of causing problems.

Alex Cobb v. Hector Velasquez for Cobb's debut and I actually think, now granted his spot isn't very secure, but I think there's some upside with Velasquez at least in terms of ratio and Ws categories. Probably not a stash or hold, but a pick-up and stream option while in the rotation. At least potentially, so we'll see how he does today. 

Brandon Finnegan's debut is next up on the ever-cycling Reds' rotation. 

Jake Arrieta in his second start against a mostly mediocre offense, albeit in the AL. 

Jameson Taillon's sharp start coming into Miami.

I never miss an opportunity to catch some Rich Hill.

And Marco Gonzales, a formerly touted LHP Prospect with the STL Cardinals organization now as a starter in Seattle. Injuries have been his problem primarily and he's a former 1st round pick. I'd like to see him rebound after a rough game v. KC, as I think there could still be some talent here, though admittedly I haven't gotten to see him pitch much yet this season myself. 

Edited by taobball
mahle a future starTER not star.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Just now, #1Stunna said:

Cubs game showing wind blowing in at 21mph. Game total at 6.5

Mets-Brewers had ~15 MPH in from RF last I saw,I've got Cespedes and Thames on the bench,but will have to put them in if the Reds-Cards looks too risky.

Interested to see how the Finnegan start goes, would be a nice help for my NL only team if he can stay healthy.

• Like 1

Just now, murraygd13 said:

Mookie collision at home, looks like he's leaving the game.

From watching the game it looked to me like he just banged shins with the catcher and got a stinger. Hopefully he'll be alright and return to the game. 

Mook took a ball between the numbers and also hit his knee into the catcher.  Limped off but I'd guess he's ok.

Was a little hesitant to put Hanley in the lineup with the quick return, but the postponements forced my hand.  SO glad!!  And on top of that welcome back Mr. Blackmon!!

I think Hector Velasquez may be pretty underrated. Just K'd the side in the second. (Hopefully this isn't one of those midgame posts that looks stupid in 45 minutes.)

I say the above hesitantly really only because Sale, Price, Porcello, Rodriguez, and Pomeranz create the idea he may not play. But I love what I see from him when he pitches.

29 YO, complete prime, International Player not Career MILB or anything. K's may not be there but I think he's gonna be a pretty solid ERA/WHIP and, on Boston, Wins guy. FA+CH combo is good. 

• Like 2

JD Martinez going Yard.

Let's put the struggles of the dynastic Baltimore Orioles in simplistic terms:

JD Martinez: 5 Years, 110 Million, 2018-2022. 

Chris Davis: 7 Years, 161 Million, 2016-2022

That might be one of the worst contracts of all time. The second year of a 161 Million dollar contract he put up a mostly healthy 0.1 WAR.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

Mookie is back in

And now, he's gone. 

37 minutes ago, 6Kill said:

Go Jakob Junis

Not looking like a good match up vs a red hot Angels team, on top of the fact that they have hit .408 on him collectively in the past. I'm benching. 

How is Cobb looking? Just shaking the rust off?

2 minutes ago, smeeze said:

How is Cobb looking? Just shaking the rust off?

He's facing a buzzsaw. I'm not making too much of the long-balls with Hanley and JDM. 

EDIT: I mean it's certainly not a positive to be struggling. But against this line-up, it kinda just is what it is. 

Edited by taobball
  • Like 1

Love what I'm seeing out of Hector VelaZquez (capitalized the 1st Z because I couldn't find him in a database b/c of Spelling). 

Had a frustrating start to the 4th with a GB Single that just skipped past the 2nd Baseman and a Broken Bat Oppo Flare to start the inning. Bears down and gets the DP and the high-cheese-K to end the inning. 

I think this guy is just a PITCHER. Like a real pitcher. A guy who really knows how to utilize what he has. 

• Like 1

Ozzie Albies with a shot to lead things off at wrigley..

• Like 1

Just now, Code of Hammurabi said:

Ozzie Albies with a shot to lead things off at wrigley..

Jeez. He really is going to lead baseball in XBHs. 

I think, in a general sense, Cobb, Lynn, and Arrieta probably all suffered from their extended time away from the team. It wouldn't surprise me if it took Cobb a few starts. 

• Like 2

Jon Gray vs lefties is one of saddest sights to watch in league right now.  You’re seeing what happens when a guy doesn’t develop a changeup. 

Nats with 2nd and 3rd one out with Wieters up who already lined a screamer right to CF and then a homer.  And they pitch to him and he predictably destroys another S*** Jon Gray fastball.  Why not just INT walk him and bring up Michael Taylor?