Sign in to follow this  
Fuzzy_Slippers

4/14 - GAME DAY THREAD

3 hours ago, taobball said:

Keeping an eye on: 

Garrett Richards v. Jakob Junis for Richard's Curveball and if Junis' lack of third pitch (at least as we've seen to date) starts to show signs of causing problems.

Alex Cobb v. Hector Velasquez for Cobb's debut and I actually think, now granted his spot isn't very secure, but I think there's some upside with Velasquez at least in terms of ratio and Ws categories. Probably not a stash or hold, but a pick-up and stream option while in the rotation. At least potentially, so we'll see how he does today. 

Brandon Finnegan's debut is next up on the ever-cycling Reds' rotation. 

Jake Arrieta in his second start against a mostly mediocre offense, albeit in the AL. 

Jameson Taillon's sharp start coming into Miami.

I never miss an opportunity to catch some Rich Hill.

And Marco Gonzales, a formerly touted LHP Prospect with the STL Cardinals organization now as a starter in Seattle. Injuries have been his problem primarily and he's a former 1st round pick. I'd like to see him rebound after a rough game v. KC, as I think there could still be some talent here, though admittedly I haven't gotten to see him pitch much yet this season myself. 

First,  I absolutely love these.   Keep them coming. 

Richards - I really need to see better command from him. 

Arrieta - looked like a guy that was a month behind schedule last start.   Also, FB seemed to only be 92.

Junis- I've been high on him since last year.   He's got better secondaries than he's shown thus far this year.   None of them plus but with his command,  pitch mix,  and smarts it all plays up. 

Tailon- I'm expecting a step back today solely due to his pitch count last start. 

Clevinger - general comment here,  his lack of command is the only thing holding him back from being a SP2 in reality.   As is he's a great 4 and volatile 3 (again,  just in reality).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, taobball said:

I think Hector Velasquez may be pretty underrated. Just K'd the side in the second. (Hopefully this isn't one of those midgame posts that looks stupid in 45 minutes.)

I say the above hesitantly really only because Sale, Price, Porcello, Rodriguez, and Pomeranz create the idea he may not play. But I love what I see from him when he pitches.

29 YO, complete prime, International Player not Career MILB or anything. K's may not be there but I think he's gonna be a pretty solid ERA/WHIP and, on Boston, Wins guy. FA+CH combo is good. 

Agreed.   Worth a look in deeper leagues in case he's Guerra 2016.

Had a bad feeling when they put Newcomb back out for the 6th. If it wasnt 10-2 they likely don't give him as long of a leash as he got. The error didn't help.

Sucks for fantasy owners.

I'm actually encouraged by Newcomb's start. I didn't start him but considering how brutal the weather looked, him limiting the Cubs offense until the 6th inning was kind of impressive. 

1 minute ago, DannyMcPot said:

I'm actually encouraged by Newcomb's start. I didn't start him but considering how brutal the weather looked, him limiting the Cubs offense until the 6th inning was kind of impressive. 

Agreed. Wish he wasn't thrown out for the 6th is all. I was very happy with his line through 5.

Charlie Morton currently rocking a 0.00ERA in 15 frames. Dat curveball diiiiirty.

4 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

Charlie Morton currently rocking a 0.00ERA in 15 frames. Dat curveball diiiiirty.

It's amazing what can happen to your stuff when you go from throwing 93 to 97. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, taobball said:

It's amazing what can happen to your stuff when you go from throwing 93 to 97. 

He's basically just throwing heaters and curves, seen just 1 change.

Was his curve always this nasty though? It's just eating lefties up, 7 Ks so far.

1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

How did they not put a retractable roof on this stadium when they built it?

They had a hard time getting the stadium to built through taxes. Adding a roof would have added another 100m to the cost. Taxpayers kept voting the referendum down. Going by memory but the Twins aren't a big deal and folks figured if Pohlad wanted a new stadium to let him build (my position).

6 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

They had a hard time getting the stadium to built through taxes. Adding a roof would have added another 100m to the cost. Taxpayers kept voting the referendum down. Going by memory but the Twins aren't a big deal and folks figured if Pohlad wanted a new stadium to let him build (my position).

Why did they bother building a new stadium then, was the homerdome falling down? (UK based guy here so not informed)

Wasn't falling down but the Vikings didn't want to play their any longer. Football on Astroturf really wasn't good. The stadium was close to 25 years old also and neede upgrades badly. The baggy roof also wasn't good for playing baseball. Even sitting in the stands you couldn't track the ball. You just looked at the outfield to see who was moving. 

• Like 1

Hey all....any good games going down right now?

4 minutes ago, lavaman said:

Hey all....any good games going down right now?

Cubs/Braves which is a good game in that the Cubs are losing 10-5.

12 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

until they weren't

12 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Cubs just tied from down 10-2

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Cubs just came back to tie it. Crazy good.

7 minutes ago, disasterisk said:

until they weren't

boy that went downhill fast. So no there isn't any good game on any longer.

7 runs on 3 hits for the Cubs in the 8th...

9 times.jpeg

Edited by Zombies
  • Haha 1

The Astros pitching coach is some kind of magician. Has helped turn Morton into from a scrub into top shelf starter, and already worked his magic on Cole.

Watched almost that whole start from Morton, very impressed. Stuff looks incredibly sharp, admittedly against a depleated Rangers lineup. 2 mistake pitches, otherwise untouchable. 

Chris archer owners are hitting the bar in droves.

56 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

The Astros pitching coach is some kind of magician. Has helped turn Morton into from a scrub into top shelf starter, and already worked his magic on Cole.

Watched almost that whole start from Morton, very impressed. Stuff looks incredibly sharp, admittedly against a depleated Rangers lineup. 2 mistake pitches, otherwise untouchable. 

It's a real shame their offense or bullpen can't get these guys wins now.  I don't have Morton, but it's still a shame when you see a pitcher pitch that good and then get a no decision or loss.  I have Cole, so I kind of know how it feels, and still have a hard time comprehending that he's somehow just 1-0.

Edited by KilloWertz