RMJ_12

2018 Dynasty Central

Joining a dynasty start-up league this year and would like to discuss the value of certain players, rankings, adp, ect before I draft in June.

Let's start with who is the most valuable for a start-up right now.  So far I think I'm targeting guys like Fournette, D Cook, Mixon, Barkley, Corey Davis, Allen Robinson, JuJu, and Evan Engram.  Thoughts?

I like all those guys. My philosophy in dynasty has always been to target young guys with low risk and build a strong young core group. I’m not so concerned with where I finish that first year, but am looking to set my team up for the long haul. I’m not even considering guys like Brady, Gronk, McCoy or Fitzgerald.

• Like 2

Where do QBs like Brady and Brees fall? I'm in the opinion that there is more value in keeping them and selling out to win this season then attempting to trade them at little value. Is that correct? 

4 minutes ago, hoppychokes said:

Where do QBs like Brady and Brees fall? I'm in the opinion that there is more value in keeping them and selling out to win this season then attempting to trade them at little value. Is that correct? 

I wont even look at QBs like them in a dynasty startup draft, but if you do end up with an oldish QB you need to be sure to grab a young developmental QB also.

33 minutes ago, hoppychokes said:

Are you really getting someone that good when you draft Brady or Brees anymore though?

No more Cooks in NE either.

Edited by RMJ_12

3 minutes ago, hoppychokes said:

Sorry, I took over a team (super flex) with them. No draft.

Oh I see.  Yeah I'm sure you don't get much in a trade but maybe you'd get something just based on their name.  Can't hurt to try if you have other options at QB.

2 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

Joining a dynasty start-up league this year and would like to discuss the value of certain players, rankings, adp, ect before I draft in June.

Let's start with who is the most valuable for a start-up right now.  So far I think I'm targeting guys like Fournette, D Cook, Mixon, Barkley, Corey Davis, Allen Robinson, JuJu, and Evan Engram.  Thoughts?

That’s a good list of young players. 

And then there is Allen Robinson. 

Edit:

Here is a link to a money league devy startup draft from last year with users from the forums:

https://clickydraft.com/draftapp/board/72439

Which can give you some ideas on strategies, team building, etc. 

Since it’s devy we drafted college players afterwords.  

Edited by Iron-cock

9 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

That’s a good list of young players. 

And then there is Allen Robinson. 

I figure his value is higher now than it ever will be again.  Chicago did improve but he's still the only good WR they have.

20 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

I figure his value is higher now than it ever will be again.  Chicago did improve but he's still the only good WR they have.

In my opinion, he really doesn't belong in the list with the other players though.  He'll be 25 in August, he's coming off an ACL injury and he will be on a new team.

You could say the same about Dalvin Cook as far as injury, but he'll only be 23 and his situation will have improved. 

Here are some links to rankings:

(EDIT: Apparently they do agree with you to some extent, two of the three have Robinson fairly highly rated for my tastes).

http://www.espn.com/fantasy/football/story/_/id/15698900/mike-clay-top-240-dynasty-fantasy-football-rankings-nfl

https://www.dynastynerds.com/fantasy-football-dynasty-rankings/

https://dynastyleaguefootball.com/adp/dynasty-adp.php?mo=03&year=2018

Edited by Iron-cock
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

Here is a link to a money league devy startup draft from last year with users from the forums:

https://clickydraft.com/draftapp/board/72439

Which can give you some ideas on strategies, team building, etc. 

Since it’s devy we drafted college players afterwords.

http://forums.rotoworld.com/topic/647838-2017-ff-dynasty-start-up/?page=47&tab=comments#comment-7212827

Also, for some background, that's 12 teams, starting 1QB, 2WR, 2RB, 1TE, 2 Flex.  1/2 PPR.

Looking at strategies really quick and assuming things:

Pete and Wink went young,

Packdog went best player available as far as I can tell and he won the league.

Mr. Blonde went best player available and made some good in season trades. He came in second despite Odell and Gronk being injured. 

As for me: I had the last pick in the draft, so I knew I was going to get the first pick in the devy draft which likely meant Saqon Barkley this season.

I wanted to go with young wide receivers early.  

There were a few reasons for this:

1.  Wide Receivers tend to have longer careers and be less volatile than running backs.

2.  The best running backs would be gone by the time I picked at 12.

3.  The best wide receivers tend to have better draft pedigrees, while running backs are a bit more random, thus hitting on running back "in the future" should be easier.

4.  I had the first pick in the devy draft, and I knew I would be drafting Saquon Barkley who would be hopefully coming out this year.

I think I did pretty well with the 12th pick and getting those first four WRs. 

Regrets:

Even thought it was a devy league, I wanted to take a swing at winning the first year.  So I went with some of the older RBs in the middle rounds that didn't work out.  I also tried to grab a monopoly on a backfield, something that has worked for me in other dynasty leagues, but went poorly in this one (Seattle, yuck!).

Obviously in hindsight I wish I would have went with some of the rookie RBs I took in other leagues like Kamara and Mack (No that's not hindsight being 20/20):

http://forums.rotoworld.com/topic/138006-mbs4s-rotoworld-dynasty/?page=155

Also I was really tempted to take Gurley, Fournette, or Mixon early, but I stuck to my original plan.

I'm ok with how it's gone so far, hopefully those four WRs will provide me with a solid base to go with Ertz/Graham and Barkley coming on to my roster this season.

Edited by Iron-cock
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

Packdog went best player available as far as I can tell and he won the league.

Mr. Blonde went best player available and made some good in season trades. He came in second despite Odell and Gronk being injured. 

You doing blonde dirty IC! He took home gold with some shifty plays and good roster management even with the injuries.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vikingapocalypse said:

You doing blonde dirty IC! He took home gold with some shifty plays and good roster management even with the injuries.

Haha, I totally forgot he won.  I think I zoned out after I lost and assumed Packdog won.  

Edited by Iron-cock
  • Haha 1

We're actually not sure yet if we're doing a snake draft or an auction.  Obviously my preparation will be affected by that.

Now that the draft has ended, which rookies do you think will have an immediate fantasy impact this season?  Who ended up in a poor situation?

36 minutes ago, LeeVanCleef said:

Now that the draft has ended, which rookies do you think will have an immediate fantasy impact this season?  Who ended up in a poor situation?

I love Barkley(obviously), Royce Freeman, and Ronald Jones (based on landing spot)

6 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

I love Barkley(obviously), Royce Freeman, and Ronald Jones (based on landing spot)

Barkley.  Jones just due to opportunity but I'm not sold on the player.  Penny.  Michel since NE spent the draft capital to get him although in generally just draft the cheapest NE guy if I was in that pool.

I haven't given up on Booker yet.   I realize and understand if people have.   I'll go cheapest there. 

No idea what to think of the wrs yet.    Will really need to see preseason action.  Hate Moore's spot for this year but love the player.  Curious to see where Gallup ends up on the depth chart but that's likely to be an EXTREMELY run heavy team. 

I used to use draftbreakdown.com to watch video on incoming rookies and rookie breakdowns, but the site has since been shut down. Is there another site that people are doing to watch video on players? Youtube is always an option, but I'm looking for one spot that has an index of players so it's easier to find video on guys. Also, when there is a list of players (rather than having to search by player name) I tend to stumble across previously unknown guys that may be sleepers.

11 hours ago, wonderbread said:

I used to use draftbreakdown.com to watch video on incoming rookies and rookie breakdowns, but the site has since been shut down. Is there another site that people are doing to watch video on players? Youtube is always an option, but I'm looking for one spot that has an index of players so it's easier to find video on guys. Also, when there is a list of players (rather than having to search by player name) I tend to stumble across previously unknown guys that may be sleepers.

Draft break down was my spot. I'm deeply saddened. 

• Sad 1

On 12/31/2018 at 7:04 AM, wonderbread said:

Matt Waldman has some good write ups and analysis video. Believe it or not you can get a lot out of watching highlight videos if you know what too look for. But yeah, draftbreakdown was my go to as it was so user-friendly.