FouLLine

Zac Lowther BAL LHP

Baltimore drafted this 6'2" lefty in the 2nd round with the 74th overall pick last year.  Which was well deserved as Lowther dominated The Big East for Xavier at the collegiate level.  

His skills quickly transitioned to the professional level when he debuted last year in the New York Penn League.  Where he posted insane numbers:

1.66 ERA, 0.85 WHIP, 12.56 K/9.

His first start in The South Atlantic League this year was pure dominance:

6.0 IP, 0 ER, 0 H, 1 BB, 13 K

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He has always had a ridiculous strikeout-rate, so I'v  wondered why scouts think he has a low ceiling (it seems).  

Had another good game today.  His ceiling is low because he has average velocity - maybe less than average.  We probably won’t have a good idea of what kind of player he’ll be until he faces more advanced hitters.

1 minute ago, I like baseball said:

Had another good game today.  His ceiling is low because he has average velocity - maybe less than average.  We probably won’t have a good idea of what kind of player he’ll be until he faces more advanced hitters.

Yea I saw he tops out at around 93, but read that it plays faster than that.  But its decent, and that combined with the fact he has had really high strikeout rates in college/minors and great control makes him pretty enticing.  Pretty decent floor at least

Reports are that he works in the high 80s to low 90s.  I don’t know if he added any velocity but I do like him though.  Baumann interest me a bit more.   I’ll probably add if he has success at Double A.  As a proven college arm, it would be worrisome if he wasn’t having success.

numbers have been absurdly good, but he doesn't flash for me on the screen.

maybe he's one of those guys who is more deceptive in real life, or has more movement, than appears at first glance.

Yeah, anyone that's familiar with Lowther going back to when he played in the Big East, continue to wonder what exactly leads to his insane ability to strike batters out. He does have deception. It's more of a deception similar to Jose De Leon in his delivery. He was praised at Xavier for keeping the ball hidden in his glove up until he delivers (I never believed that that could be a reason for a pitcher striking out a ton of batters but De Leon had the same exact deception and it helped him pile up Ks in the minors). He doesn't have crossfire in his delivery and all of his pitches are average at best. His curveball was really good in college but not great. He has good movement on his pitches and knows how to mix his pitches well.

If there was one area I could give him a plus to double plus is his ability to get ahead on hitters. He attacks them instead of nitpicking his pitches. He overall command is average but in college commanded his fastball very very well. He doesn't have bad control but I don't ever see him being a plus control pitcher.

I'm basing all this on my viewings of him at Xavier. He was really fun to watch because he was a strikeout machine. And when he got drafted there wasn't any projection left in him so I'm assuming he's still the same pitcher. He could just be an older kid beating up on the younger kids in the lower levels. He belongs in AA. But I just don't see Lowther being anything more then a backend starter in the majors who can have big strikeout games here and there. But I do see his command and control issues becoming a factor when he makes his way up levels.

DL Hall and Michael Baumann are 2 high ceiling pitching prospects that I believe will be much better then Lowther. I don't see Lowther being too relevant fantasy wise when he gets to the majors. But then again, I doubted Lowther all throughout college and never thought he would continue to be the K machine he was...so I've been wrong about him and could very well end up being wrong about him...

Edited by JakeSarna
  • Like 1