BrianM

Doug Baldwin 2018 Outlook

1 target a game is going to be rare.  Especially when Wilson has 21 throws and 13 completions.  I expect they ran the ball this much simply to keep the rams O off the field.  Baldwin will have more targets moving forward, but now this limits our expectations from him while the Seahawks offense continues the way it has.  I might need to start him based on how bad my options are, but if I could, I'd let him stay on my bench and see how he plays out.

Baldwin is one of my favorite players in the NFL.

But when you hear the player himself say that his knee might bother him all season, you have to be wary. 

Wide receivers typically need both knees. (Although, Aaron Rodgers apparently only needs one.)

I haven't actually watched him play. Are his knees really that bad is he done (for this season)? 

Edited by Jaw1

1 hour ago, bsong71 said:

Baldwin is one of my favorite players in the NFL.

But when you hear the player himself say that his knee might bother him all season, you have to be wary. 

Wide receivers typically need both knees. (Although, Aaron Rodgers apparently only needs one.)

This whole "100%" thing is silly.  Doug joked that he has never been 100% in his whole career, people put way too much stock into this.

All you have to do is look at the team and Russell and this is not the same offense in years past.  Wilson threw it 21 times last week.

No one had more than 3 catches, doug had 1.  He blocked most of the game.

I worry less about Baldwin's ability and more that this team is just not a passing team anymore.  Wilson hasn't topped 200 passing yards in the last 3 games.

I'm sure Doug's not playing at his optimal level, but I think this is a team thing not so much a doug thing and he'll obviously be more involved than 1 target in the future.

Useful read if you are a Baldwin owner here

[In week 5] Baldwin played 53 of 60 snaps — a usual number. And Tuesday he quickly set aside any talk of his knees saying “I feel good.”

Carroll likewise said that Baldwin’s health “had nothing to do with it. It just didn’t go to him. We just didn’t get the ball there.”

And as Carroll quickly pointed out, there were only so many balls to go around Sunday.

Seattle attempted just 21 passes, a season low and tied for the fewest since the 2014 season (Seattle also had just 21 attempts in a win at Dallas late last season).

Seattle also had just 55 plays, tying a season low, due in part to an explosive offense that scored at times quickly.

We didn’t throw the ball very much and it just got mixed around where he didn’t get it,” Carroll said. “There’s always clear intention to get him to be a big part of the game. It just didn’t work out in this one.”

Baldwin hopes to be able to get more involved in the future, beginning Sunday against the Raiders in London.

But he’s also aware that the team’s recommitment to the run means he may have to get used to getting fewer chances.

And Tuesday, he candidly admitted it may not be an easy adjustment — Seattle threw it 59 percent of the time last season, the highest of Baldwin’s Seattle career. Baldwin had appeared frustrated in an interview following the game, and he alluded to that in an answer Tuesday.

“Honestly, no,” Baldwin said when asked if he was prepared for there to be far fewer passes available to catch. “I know you guys could tell after the game, I mean there’s a mixture obviously of being upset about the loss but then also only being targeted one time in the game. As a receiver, I’m not worth my salt if I wouldn’t have a problem with that. I think every receiver across the league if they’re being honest and truthful with you would say they’re not OK with getting one target. But obviously, the course of the game, it was a shootout, we had to do what we had to do. There were a couple of times when I was getting double covered, so that opened things up for David Moore and for Tyler Lockett. So you gotta do what’s best for the offense and for the team. It’s frustrating because I want to be more a part of it. I want to be part of the party, too, I want to be the one jumping in the jump rope, not the one holding the jump rope, but yeah, it happens like that sometimes. It’s part of football.” 

Asked if it’d be time to retire if he was ever happy not getting many targets, Baldwin agreed.

“Absolutely,” he said. “Yeah.”

That isn’t happening anytime soon, though, and Baldwin will undoubtedly again be a bigger part of the offense.

To me, this feedback reads that the team, PC, and Baldwin himself still give him star #1 status on the team and are at least conscious of getting him the ball. It won't always be pretty, but I have hope he and Wilson get back their end zone chemistry. For now he should be treated as a matchup/gamescript WR3 with upside.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FitzMagic said:

Anybody starting him? I just don't feel comfortable until I see them involve him in the offense.

Honestly depends on what other options you have. I'm kind of forced to roll him out so just gotta hope for the best. 

1. My plan for Baldwin:
  2. 1) I'm not starting him this week.
  3. 2) I won't start him next week if he doesn't get a decent amount of targets this week.
  4. 3) I will drop him after next week if still isn't getting targets next week. 
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FitzMagic said:

Anybody starting him? I just don't feel comfortable until I see them involve him in the offense.

that's the right instinct: in no way is baldwin startable right now. maybe the offense will take a turn from the run-base system, maybe baldwin will have a big week, but right now based on what we've seen, no way is he startable. i'm starting carson over baldwin in the flex, and i wouldn't blame someone from starting mike davis over baldwin.

Just now, MadMaxMariota said:

Honestly depends on what other options you have. I'm kind of forced to roll him out so just gotta hope for the best. 

i'd start valdez-scantling, chester rogers, keke coutee, and antonio calloway over baldwin until we see some upside. all have better scenarios this week (unless mvs sees geronimo or cobb return). that said, i would start baldwin over amari cooper and corey davis. i'm on the fence with baldwin vs. kenny stills (with tannehill facing the bears' pass rush).

sitting, absolutely

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

Baldwin was double covered on almost every passing play against Rams. Methinks, while this team is now run first, that he still has some big games in store. 

• Like 1

Baldwin scores this week book it.

Raiders D is pathetic

30th in yds against

30th in pts against

23rd against pass

28th against rush

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

What are mid season thoughts on this guy?

Sundays game seemed very promising.

can he solidify a floor of 6 receptions and 70 yards?

Trying to figure out what to do with him

3 minutes ago, Nguvocity said:

Not sold on that being his floor but hes a great flex play, and a decent WR2 fill in on a bye week. That offense will be run heavy most weeks, with other inferior receivers still catching balls.

8 minutes ago, Broncos132 said:

Not sold on that being his floor but hes a great flex play, and a decent WR2 fill in on a bye week. That offense will be run heavy most weeks, with other inferior receivers still catching balls.

Baldwin finished as WR13 last year.

What exactly is going on? They even had Jimmy Graham last year too

16 minutes ago, Nguvocity said:

that's nobody's floor wtf how do none of you understood floor. picture a floor. 

3 minutes ago, Nguvocity said:

Baldwin finished as WR13 last year.

What exactly is going on? They even had Jimmy Graham last year too

Its Schottenheimer. They're back to being run heavy most of the time. Wilson isnt running for his life every play this season lol but things could change. Wilson and Baldwin have a history of lighting it up in the 2nd half of the season.

9 hours ago, Nguvocity said:

I dropped him before this week. Still don't trust him as the Raiders really stink. That was a ceiling game to me IMO. Other WR's still scored touchdowns over him. If the TD's don't come, what is he? A WR3. 

9 hours ago, Broncos132 said:

Its Schottenheimer. They're back to being run heavy most of the time. Wilson isnt running for his life every play this season lol but things could change. Wilson and Baldwin have a history of lighting it up in the 2nd half of the season.

THIS!! Any past Baldwin owner and definitely past Wilson owners will tell you they start slow just about every year. Same thing happened last year....Baldwin is a top20 WR ROS and Wilson will be top a 10QB... Book IT!

Just bought Baldwin (for Drake if anyone is curious) as I'm desperate for anything at WR.  I sure hope this guy is on the upswing... 

I'm starting him due to bye weeks, but I'm confident he'll have a decent game. I had him last year so maybe I'm optimistic .