Sign in to follow this  
BMcP

Rich Hill 2018 Outlook

Hmm I have a fear of starting anyone against the Brewers, and of starting an SP coming off a bullpen appearance.... but they are without Thames and Braun, and they do rank 24th in OPS against LHP...

6 hours ago, MireLurker said:

Hmm I have a fear of starting anyone against the Brewers, and of starting an SP coming off a bullpen appearance.... but they are without Thames and Braun, and they do rank 24th in OPS against LHP...

Call me crazy, but I'm benching Hill tonight.  Brewers are a pretty good lineup and were just embarrassed prior to the All-Star break by the Pirates and Miller Park is an extreme hitter's park.  I know Thames and Braun are out, but Thames doesn't play vs. the lefties and the Brewers are probably better off without Braun at this point in his career.  

Dodgers state Hill going to pen.

Hill now starting and Maeda isn't.

GD Dodgers.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Dodgers state Hill going to pen.

Hill now starting and Maeda isn't.

GD Dodgers.

When did dodgers say that?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Waker said:

When did dodgers say that?

On July 13.  Maeda has been pitching very well recently, but it looks like his bullpen "experience" from last year is working against him.

Dodgers' manager Dave Roberts announced that Rich Hill will not make his scheduled start on Saturday against the Angels.
Instead, Alex Wood will start in his place on Saturday while Hill will be available out of the bullpen for the weekend's series. Hill has struggled mightily as of late, so perhaps shifting him to the bullpen could yield better results. With Walker Buehler returning Friday and Hyun-Jin Ryu not far off, there may not be room for a struggling Hill in the team's rotation after the All-Star break. Jul 13 - 7:53 PM

3 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

On July 13.  Maeda has been pitching very well recently, but it looks like his bullpen "experience" from last year is working against him.

Dodgers' manager Dave Roberts announced that Rich Hill will not make his scheduled start on Saturday against the Angels.
Instead, Alex Wood will start in his place on Saturday while Hill will be available out of the bullpen for the weekend's series. Hill has struggled mightily as of late, so perhaps shifting him to the bullpen could yield better results. With Walker Buehler returning Friday and Hyun-Jin Ryu not far off, there may not be room for a struggling Hill in the team's rotation after the All-Star break. Jul 13 - 7:53 PM

The dodgers just said they were doing that for one game before all star break.  At around the same time they said they would do a 6 man rotation which included him.

12 minutes ago, rrrrich46 said:

Nice outing. Anyone watch him tonight?

I was at the game...looked fantastic through 4, wheels started coming off a bit in fifth, had trouble finding strike zone.  Was helped by 2 poor base running decisions in the fifth (if I remember correctly).  On the first, runner from second was held up at 3rd on a single, would have easily scored.  On the second, Pina tries to score from second, thrown out at plate (should not have gone with his lack of speed).  Overall though, I’d say he looked good.

Having said all that, I have to add that I’ve never had so many distractions at a game.  3 full rows of fans CONSTANTLY changing seats, and the entire row in front of me of obviously non-baseball fans  didn’t watch a single pitch, just loud gossiping, so some of my observations might be a tad off!

Edited by soccerphysio
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, rrrrich46 said:

Nice outing. Anyone watch him tonight?

His curve was on so he was making hitters look silly. Gave up too many walks though which was interesting cause it was a pretty big strikezone

Buehler is reportedly going to start Wednesday. Hill was supposed to start Wednesday. Not sure if he's going to get pushed back a day or it's something else. :unsure:

Fantastic start by Hill tonight against a pretty darn good hitting team.  With Hill, it seems like he does better against good offenses than lousy offenses.  His only 2 bad starts since coming off the DL have been against the Mets and Padres.

What's going to happen with the Dodgers rotation when Ryu comes back from his rehab stint?  Do they stick with a 6 man rotation and send Ryu to the bullpen?

Just now, FootballFan101 said:

Fantastic start by Hill tonight against a pretty darn good hitting team.  With Hill, it seems like he does better against good offenses than lousy offenses.  His only 2 bad starts since coming off the DL have been against the Mets and Padres.

What's going to happen with the Dodgers rotation when Ryu comes back from his rehab stint?  Do they stick with a 6 man rotation and send Ryu to the bullpen?

If Buehler doesn’t improve he will be sent back down

1 minute ago, The Waker said:

If Buehler doesn’t improve he will be sent back down

So 6 man rotation with Ryu in for Buehler you think?

I think you are probably right that Buehler gets sent back down, but it's not like he has been terrible: 3.92 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, over a K per inning.

1 hour ago, FootballFan101 said:

So 6 man rotation with Ryu in for Buehler you think?

I think you are probably right that Buehler gets sent back down, but it's not like he has been terrible: 3.92 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, over a K per inning.

They very well might skip starts/alternate Buehler and Stripling and run them in LR when not starting that week.  To limit IP.

Edited by ragrag

Start Hill tonight or leave him on the bench?  The Brewers offense scares me a lot, and with the addition of Moustakas, their lineup might be the best in the majors 1 through 6.  On the other, Hill has been very good recently though and has actually pitched better vs good teams than bad teams this year.  Since coming off the DL, Hill's two worst starts by far were against the Mets and Padres, the two worst teams in the NL.

5 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Start Hill tonight or leave him on the bench?  The Brewers offense scares me a lot, and with the addition of Moustakas, their lineup might be the best in the majors 1 through 6.  On the other, Hill has been very good recently though and has actually pitched better vs good teams than bad teams this year.  Since coming off the DL, Hill's two worst starts by far were against the Mets and Padres, the two worst teams in the NL.

I would start him. The Brewers are one of the worst teams in baseball against LHP. Plus, he had no issues with the Brew Crew when he faced them on 7/20. Moustakas and Schoop are good additions, but Hill has been pitching exceptionally well.

Edited by Fuzzy_Slippers
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

I would start him. The Brewers are one of the worst teams in baseball against LHP. Plus, he had no issues with the Brew Crew when he faced them on 7/20. Moustakas and Schoop are good additions, but Hill has been pitching exceptionally well.

Agreed.  Just imagine if his control is better tonight than it was in his last start vs. Milwaukee (4 walks).  Unless it was because the umpire was squeezing him, but I didn't see the game to know.

All signs are pointing to Schoop starting tonight, which obviously gives them a boost over what they've done against LHP previously, but then their other addition (Moustakes) is downgraded tonight since him and Hill are lefties.  At the very least, it should limit the chance of Moustakes hitting a HR.

Nice start by Hill.  A win would have been nice but it's hard to complain too much about a 1.50 ERA and a 1.17 WHIP vs one of the better offenses in baseball.

I feel like he’s on his typical 2nd half run. Is he a hold in all leagues for the foreseeable future?

23 minutes ago, UberRebel said:

I feel like he’s on his typical 2nd half run. Is he a hold in all leagues for the foreseeable future?

Yes. If he stays healthy, he could be a league winner

Two-start week coming up - how do curve balls perform at Coors? He hasn't had a start there in the last 3 seasons... i'm still leaving him active but scared of a Sunday blowup.

He has bad career numbers in Coors -- but it's all before the last three years. Because of that I'm giving him a whirl in a two-start week for need of strikeouts, but I'll be closing my eyes during that Coors start. The A's are no slouches either, though.