Sign in to follow this  
BMcP

Rich Hill 2018 Outlook

11 minutes ago, The Waker said:

He'd have another finger injury 2 weeks later.  Guy is old.  I didn't understand why he was going where he did in drafts

maybe because he was awesome second half of last season..

• Like 1

I just don't understand how this guy continues to play catch and then throw bullpen sessions.. and keeps leaving early in a game.

3 hours ago, Yceman1234 said:

LAD is the 4th worst team in NL right now.  You really think they are gonna turn it around enough to be one of the top 5 teams?

Considering they are only 6 games out and it’s May yeah playoffs are a realistic possibility. They don’t have to be in the top 5 they just need to win their division.

“It’s Time For Dodger Baseball”

• Thanks 1

Said it in his thread last two years but the finger is going to end his career

"Hill (blister) likely headed to disabled list"

It seems like we have found the space/time continuum. It was contained in Rich's lily soft hands, because I could have read this 7-8 yrs ago or so,

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RenegadeGM said:

blister.jpg

Perhaps a cowhide allergy. 

Reminds me of when I worked in a pizza restaurant - you'd want to pop these promptly.

Hi I'm Rich "Walker Buehler's rotation spot is safe all season" Hill. 

Man oh man, dude got all that money to sell blister remedies.

23 hours ago, jb_power said:

so how many pitches will Richie throw today before he has to leave the game with a booboo ... I'm going with 46 pitches

I was way off and gave Richie more cred than he deserves

17 hours ago, merlin401 said:

Hill was my #1 pitching target in 2016 and I got scared off because he had one of the worst spring trainings I’ve ever seen. He was walking everyone he faced practically and said he just needed to get his mechanics in rhythm, which he did very rapidly. I feel like these finger issues the last two years have just delayed/prevented him from getting his mechanics in that rhythm and when he does finally string three or four incident free starts together he will be back to being solid if not great 

It hurts me to do this because Hill pretty much singlehandedly won me multiple money leagues in 2016, given how low his ADP was in 2016, but I had to drop him after last night's news.

It shouldn't be season ending, but I'm guessing it will be at least 2 months (including rehab in the minors) before we see him pitch in the majors again.  My pitching staff has already been absolutely decimated by injuries with Bumgarner and Cueto (both of whom are nowhere near a return) clogging up my two DL spots, so I just can't afford to stash Hill.

RIP Rich and thanks for 2016.

Edited by FootballFan101

He needs to start peeing on his hand.  Worked for Moises Alou, worked for Taillon.  Don’t be afraid of a little piss Rich.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

He needs to start peeing on his hand.  Worked for Moises Alou, worked for Taillon.  Don’t be afraid of a little piss Rich.

was about to post the same thing.  This dude said he started throwing earlier this year (November) so that blisters wouldn't be a further problem.  I'm never drinking this Koolaid again.  He's too damn old to be relied upon to correct this yearly issue IMO.

• Like 1

why not stash him? this is exactly what happened last year and the impatient owner dropped him, I scooped him, and he helped me win money down the stretch last year.

On 5/8/2018 at 5:59 PM, JFS179 said:

I’m not starting him, but if he went bonkers I wouldn’t be shocked. I fully expect a vintage Rich Hill dominance stretch, but I have no idea when it starts or when to jump off the ride. 

Last year he had a DL stint for about a month Apr/May...then a couple rough outings May/June (after a bad game @ CLE 6/15 his ERA sat at 5.14 with 3 wins).

He ended the season with 3.32 ERA and 12 wins. Seemed like averaged about 8 K's/game down the stretch.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

why not stash him? this is exactly what happened last year and the impatient owner dropped him, I scooped him, and he helped me win money down the stretch last year.

In leagues with DL slots this is the move.  However I don't think they will allow him to pitch with the med tape but just speculating.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Members_Only_76 said:

The guy who picked him up last season after I dropped him last June ended up drafting him this year. I'd be waiting for him to drop Hill since his awful start this season and it finally happened. You better believe I'm grabbing him hoping for some weird revenge/redemption lol

• Like 1

Yeah me too, only looking to slot someone in my second DL spot before Reyes or Britton are activated. Why not Hill? Salazar is probably the other best option. Not looking for advice just offering as a measuring stick. 

Those who are in leagues where he is just sitting on the wire, are letting a free sp2/sp3 be in danger of being picked up by another savvy owner for the second half of the season.

21 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Those who are in leagues where he is just sitting on the wire, are letting a free sp2/sp3 be in danger of being picked up by another savvy owner for the second half of the season.

I guess he's worth a look in some league contexts, but he's also 38.  "Free SP2/SP3" assumes a lot based on what we've seen of him so far this season.  I'd grab him if he was free, but I wouldn't waste a high priority waiver claim in him in 10-12 team leagues right now except as a "hail Mary" where I needed his 2016-ish performance and am okay with the risk of his current season numbers being a truer sign of where he's at right now skills-wise.

10 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

I guess he's worth a look in some league contexts, but he's also 38.  "Free SP2/SP3" assumes a lot based on what we've seen of him so far this season.  I'd grab him if he was free, but I wouldn't waste a high priority waiver claim in him in 10-12 team leagues right now except as a "hail Mary" where I needed his 2016-ish performance and am okay with the risk of his current season numbers being a truer sign of where he's at right now skills-wise.

I am not saying burn a waiver on him. but if you look at last year, his start to the year was somewhat similar to this year, a couple of DL stints. From June on he was very good and really only had two bad starts.

10 K's yesterday in a rehab start.

“It’s helped me get back that efficient spin rate I had the last three years,” Hill said. “When I was on my toe, I would dive across [the first-base side of the mound]. On my heel, I’m able to stay more in line toward the plate. It’s very subtle, but credit to Rick, being the best pitching coach in the business.”

“That’s the best I’ve felt all year,” he said. “I can feel the way the ball is jumping out of my hand. It’s coming out so much easier than it did in spring training and the first two months of the season.”

I can't quit you Rich

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Anyone else think he can get back to what he was in the 2nd half last year?  From the quote above it sounds like he used the time to dive into the film and see what he needed to fix (besides himself).