Sign in to follow this  
BMcP

Rich Hill 2018 Outlook

I saw this thread bumped and I figgered Richie somehow was scratched due to bumping his toe at his clubhouse locker

19 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Or Maeda to pen?

Maeda has been even better than Hill the past few weeks.  My guess is 6 man rotation.  Once Ryu comes back, my guess is the Dodgers starters take turns with phantom DL stints other than Kershaw.

• Like 1

Not a good start for his chances to stay in rotation.  Looks like the Dodgers are going with a 6 man rotation for the next couple of weeks because they play 17 straight games, but then will move to a 5.  If everyone is still healthy they will reassign someone.  http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers-report-20180710-story.html

He can't have any more starts like this

8 hours ago, The Waker said:

Not a good start for his chances to stay in rotation.  Looks like the Dodgers are going with a 6 man rotation for the next couple of weeks because they play 17 straight games, but then will move to a 5.  If everyone is still healthy they will reassign someone.  http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers-report-20180710-story.html

Incredibly disappointing start for Hill considering the great matchup - reminds me a lot of the dud he had vs. the Mets a few weeks ago.

I know Hill has been better recently, but overall Hill has clearly been the worst of the Dodgers 7 starters (including Ryu and Buehler).  He did pitch a gem against the Cubs good offense in his first start back from the DL, but his four matchups since then have been incredibly favorable (@Mets, vs. Rockies, vs. Pirates, @Pirates) and he laid a egg in two of them.

Edited by FootballFan101

8 hours ago, The Waker said:

since coming off of the DL he's started five games: 3.34/3.67/3.51, 27% K, 4%BB, 1.04 WHIP

yeah, he's for sure on the verge of a demotion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, osb_tensor said:

since coming off of the DL he's started five games: 3.34/3.67/3.51, 27% K, 4%BB, 1.04 WHIP

Hmmm good point.

His start actually ended up not that bad

• Like 1

None of the guys they have "deserve" to be demoted to a relief role. Might be smart to use a guy who's innings they're trying to limit/save (Buehler, Stripling) but more likely someone theyve used out of the pen in the past like Maeda. 

4 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

None of the guys they have "deserve" to be demoted to a relief role. Might be smart to use a guy who's innings they're trying to limit/save (Buehler, Stripling) but more likely someone theyve used out of the pen in the past like Maeda. 

probably the most likely scenario.

it's also good to keep in mind that the dodgers have frequently used the DL for their pitching staff. it has been discussed that they use the DL as a breather (inning limiter) instead of strictly for guys that are truly injured. i wouldn't be surprised to see them rotate DL stints for their starters throughout the second half. this is under the assumption that everyone actually stays healthy, which isn't a given.

• Like 1

Kershaw, Hill, Wood, Stripling, Buehler, Maeda, Ryu

As far as I see it, Kershaw, Wood, Stripling have solidified their roles in the rotation. It would be silly to pull Stripling based on the success he's had thus far.

Hill - the Dodgers aren't stupid. They know what Hill can do when he gets going. They're not going to bail on him like the fantasy managers on here. He's in the rotation.

Buehler - He's a developing arm and I bet he stays in the rotation till he hits his inning limit for the year. They could demote him to bp and save him for later in the season, but he'll be in the rotation at some point and back out of it at another.

Maeda/Ryu - These are the two most likely I see taking turns in the bullpen. Ryu just can't stay healthy, and Maeda saw some success out of the bullpen last season. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they moved Kenta to bp when Ryu returns. Maeda would pop back into the rotation once there's another injury.

Edited by street sharks

10 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

Hill has been pretty good since coming off the DL, but the other four guys in the rotation have all been even better than Hill over the past month.

And for the year, Hill has by far the worst ERA of any of the Dodgers 7 starters

Ryu 2.12 ERA

Stripling 2.22 ERA

Kershaw 2.61 ERA

Maeda 3.24 ERA

Buehler 3.44 ERA

Wood 3.88 ERA

Hill 4.64 ERA

Hopefully Hill won't lose his spot in the rotation, but I don't see how anyone can claim that the idea is crazy when he's been clearly their worst pitcher this year.

2 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

Hill has been pretty good since coming off the DL, but the other four guys in the rotation have all been even better than Hill over the past month.

And for the year, Hill has by far the worst ERA of any of the Dodgers 7 starters

Ryu 2.12 ERA

Stripling 2.22 ERA

Kershaw 2.61 ERA

Maeda 3.24 ERA

Buehler 3.44 ERA

Wood 3.88 ERA

Hill 4.64 ERA

Hopefully Hill won't lose his spot in the rotation, but I don't see how anyone can claim that the idea is crazy when he's been clearly their worst pitcher this year.

Because GM’s, as they have shown many times, aren’t fantasy managers.  They value history, leadership and veterans and (albeit stupidly) place some emphasis on salary.  Rich Hill was a top 5 starter 2nd half of last two seasons and has shown strong hints that that ability is re-emerging.  

Ifs not crazy for him not to stay in rotation, but it’s crazy he won’t get a full shot over everyone but Kershaw and Wood.

Edited by The Waker
  • Like 1

Dodgers' manager Dave Roberts announced that Rich Hill will not make his scheduled start on Saturday against the Angels.
Instead, Alex Wood will start in his place on Saturday while Hill will be available out of the bullpen for the weekend's series. Hill has struggled mightily as of late, so perhaps shifting him to the bullpen could yield better results. With Walker Buehler returning Friday and Hyun-Jin Ryu not far off, there may not be room for a struggling Hill in the team's rotation after the All-Star break. Jul 13 - 7:53 PM

"Struggled mightily" is a huge stretch, but looks like they're putting him in the bullpen for now.  Womp womp...

17 minutes ago, Baur10 said:
Dodgers' manager Dave Roberts announced that Rich Hill will not make his scheduled start on Saturday against the Angels.
Instead, Alex Wood will start in his place on Saturday while Hill will be available out of the bullpen for the weekend's series. Hill has struggled mightily as of late, so perhaps shifting him to the bullpen could yield better results. With Walker Buehler returning Friday and Hyun-Jin Ryu not far off, there may not be room for a struggling Hill in the team's rotation after the All-Star break. Jul 13 - 7:53 PM

"Struggled mightily" is a huge stretch, but looks like they're putting him in the bullpen for now.  Womp womp...

Agree that "struggled mightily as of late" is a stretch, but he has still been clearly their worst pitcher the past month and has been by far their worst pitcher overall this season.  All those people who called me crazy a few days ago for suggesting his spot in the rotation might in jeopardy...

I'm hoping Buehler gets shelled tonight.  Other than an injury to someone else, that is probably Hill's best chance of remaining in the rotation.

Edited by FootballFan101

"struggled mightily" are rotoworld's words not Roberts', and we know how terrible they are on player blurbs

that said, I wouldn't go dropping him yet. they're probably just giving him extra rest heading into the break

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

I'm hoping Buehler gets shelled tonight.  Other than an injury to someone else, that is probably Hill's best chance of remaining in the rotation.

Not cool man.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AnonymousRob said:

This seems they're probably just giving him extra rest going into the break. 

He's only thrown 54 IP the entire season.  Did he really need rest?

33 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

He's only thrown 54 IP the entire season.  Did he really need rest?

He's pretty old and very injury prone. Yeah, I'd say he does. Especially when they have too many arms as it is.

As a Hill owner I'm cool with this decision. I'd rather have him miss the odd start and have a better chance at repeating last year's post-ASB performance than get hurt... again.