Fenamo

Lourdes Gurriel 2018 Outlook

Grabbing now, if he doesn’t hit the ground running I’ll move on to the next but I’ll see what he can do on my team

Always fascinating to see a thread for a player that I’ve never heard of, and then click on the thread and not even learn what team he is on.

So he’s a Cuban defector who signed with the TORONTO BLUE JAYS in 2016.  Qualifies at OF in yahoo.  Absolutely brutal 2017 campaign in the minors.  Off to a pretty decent start in Double A this year.  Cool. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Chubbles said:

He’s also the younger brother of the Gurriel on the Astros

I figured as much.  And after doing a search, I’ve also heard of their eldest brother Yunieski.

I dont know how much I would read into his horrible 2017 season. Some within the organization are attributing that to the fact he didn’t play at all in 2016. His last season in Cuba he batted .344 with a .407 OBP. Another thing he has going for him is he is versatile and can play just about anywhere. 

Edited by HBEACH

34 minutes ago, TTRA1N said:

Will he play though?

Travis has sucked out loud at 2B, and the GM this morning said Gurriel would be starting today/tonight.  I would imagine they give him a shot to play almost everyday considering how versatile he is.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

Travis has sucked out loud at 2B, and the GM this morning said Gurriel would be starting today/tonight.  I would imagine they give him a shot to play almost everyday considering how versatile he is.

I own Travis in dynasty so yes he has ... but his last two games he is  4-8 

any power here? Don't see a high grade on the tool anywhere. 6 homers in ~300 PAs in the minors doesn't look that exciting. I admittedly don't know much about the kid. 

30 minutes ago, tootallball said:

any power here? Don't see a high grade on the tool anywhere. 6 homers in ~300 PAs in the minors doesn't look that exciting. I admittedly don't know much about the kid. 

Yea me either. Can't find much info on him. Scooped just in case regardless. 

Edited by TTRA1N

Playing 2B and batting 9th.

1. Curtis Granderson (L) RF

2. Teoscar Hernandez (R) LF

3. Justin Smoak (S) 1B

4. Yangervis Solarte (S) 3B

5. Russell Martin (R) C

6. Kendrys Morales (S) DH

7. Kevin Pillar (R) CF

8. Aledmys Diaz (R) SS

9. Lourdes Gurriel Jr. (R) 2B

3 hours ago, shakestreet said:

On his player card ESPN  says he’s expected to be infield depth behind Travis & Diaz

Again, blurbs written by minimum wage fantasy writers should always be taken with a grain of salt.  Better to try and see what beat writers or actual organizational insiders are saying...... I don't think Lourdes is ready but neither Travis or Diaz are guys who are cornerstones for any organization at this time.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Again, blurbs written by minimum wage fantasy writers should always be taken with a grain of salt.  Better to try and see what beat writers or actual organizational insiders are saying...... I don't think Lourdes is ready but neither Travis or Diaz are guys are cornerstones for any organization at this time.

Probably unpaid interns fresh out of college, honestly speaking lol.

why was the AVG so terrible in 2017? I thought maybe high K's, but he had 18.8% in A+ and 16.2% in AA.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=sa908697&position=2B

he was hitting .347 in AA (with .381 BABIP) along with 1 SB and 1 HR. he doesn't seem to have much speed and not much power.

is he seen as a top prospect expected to be a starter or more of a future depth utility player?

37 minutes ago, nygiantsfan913 said:

so if he gets regular playing time what kind of stats should we expect from him?

I would say not much. His BA and OBP rose nicely in Cuba as he began to age (started when he was 16), but I don't think he showed a ton of power or speed. There was some (18 HR and 15 SB in his final two seasons, 122 games total). 

This is just a total guess, but if we suppose he starts for the final 5+ months (not saying he will) and gets 500 PAs, I'd GUESS at something like .260 with 8-10 HR and 5-8 SB. The fact is, no one really knows. It's all just guesstimation at this point. Personally, I don't see enough upside to run out and get him in anything but dynasty leagues, AL Only, deep-roster, or 14+ leagues. Jmho...I could be very wrong. 

He will play most days if they brought him up. He can play OF, 2B, 3B. I'm not sure what to expect of him this year, but long-term, I believe he projects as similar to his brother on the 'stros (with more base on balls). High average with a little pop. Which isn't a fantasy star, but if he sticks at 2B, he is a capable starter.

Edited by DConny1

15 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

why was the AVG so terrible in 2017? I thought maybe high K's, but he had 18.8% in A+ and 16.2% in AA.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=sa908697&position=2B

he was hitting .347 in AA (with .381 BABIP) along with 1 SB and 1 HR. he doesn't seem to have much speed and not much power.

is he seen as a top prospect expected to be a starter or more of a future depth utility player?

He hadn't played baseball at a high level for almost a year and had nagging injuries most of last year.  He played much better in the AFL as he got a little healthier and knocked off the rust.  .291 with 3 HRs and 7 2bs in 79 PAs.  Like with most Cubans, he's not going to take a ton of walks.

11 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I would say not much. His BA and OBP rose nicely in Cuba as he began to age (started when he was 16), but I don't think he showed a ton of power or speed. There was some (18 HR and 15 SB in his final two seasons, 122 games total). 

This is just a total guess, but if we suppose he starts for the final 5+ months (not saying he will) and gets 500 PAs, I'd GUESS at something like .260 with 8-10 HR and 5-8 SB. The fact is, no one really knows. It's all just guesstimation at this point. Personally, I don't see enough upside to run out and get him in anything but dynasty leagues, AL Only, deep-roster, or 14+ leagues. Jmho...I could be very wrong. 

I tend to agree.  I think most thought he could eventually end up better than his brother here but as stated above, I don't think he's ready and he probably won't run a ton.  This could be a week or so thing too....

• Like 1