Fenamo

Lourdes Gurriel 2018 Outlook

When both brothers defected, this was the one with a super-high ceiling (also obviously younger).

His bad season last year because there was a leg injury aggravating him throughout the year. Couldn't make the adjust met. Here's a writeup from Sportsnet:

“For most (Cuban) guys there is some sort of transition period and that first year is quite different from anything they’ve experienced in terms of the culture, the baseball schedule in the States versus Cuba, the everyday nature of it, never mind everything else,” says Cherington. “What really impressed us this year is the work ethic, the attention to detail, his accountability. I remember when he started to play in Dunedin after the hamstring injuries, he had a tough day at shortstop and I happened to be there with Gil Kim and we were in the manager’s office around noon for a 7 o’clock game. Someone walked by the office and said, ‘Hey, do you know what Gurriel is doing right now?’ And he was like, ‘No.’ We walked outside and Gurriel was out there by himself with a bucket of balls and was working on double-play turns by himself just because he had acknowledged the night before was a tough night and he wanted to do something about it. That’s a small story that reflects some of who this guy is. He really cares about getting better.

“By the end of the year he was making much more consistent plays, but also more highlight reel plays in New Hampshire both at second and short. Really encouraged about the defensive development, really encouraged by who he is as a person and now it’s just at-bats. This guy has a history of hitting.”

As a Jays fan, I'd personally rather have him as everyday 2B than the uber-unreliable Devon Travis right now, but sadly that won't happen.

Ride Gurriel while he's hot (he'll be sent down) - but monitor him throughout the year. If Travis goes down for a while or is traded, Gurriel is a must-add. He'll hit for AVG and get you runs with low K's. Don't expect SB's though (he'll only nab you a handful of those)

2019 though - I don't see Devon Travis being here. That's when Gurriel will become truly fantasy relevant.

• Like 2

Scary young infield for years to come in the making for the Jays with Vlad Jr at 3B, Bo at SS and Lourdes at 2B.  I like.  Well maybe "like" isn't a word I should use as a Boston fan (hah) but yeah I think they will build an awesome infield over the next couple of years and Lourdes will be part of it.

Starting at SS today (obviously his first start there). Hopefully he can move around a bunch and get 2B, SS, and who knows, maybe 3B later on. That would be pretty sweet.

On 2018-04-21 at 12:48 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Scary young infield for years to come in the making for the Jays with Vlad Jr at 3B, Bo at SS and Lourdes at 2B.  I like.  Well maybe "like" isn't a word I should use as a Boston fan (hah) but yeah I think they will build an awesome infield over the next couple of years and Lourdes will be part of it.

Except it will be Vlad at 1st, Biggio at 2B, Warmoth at SS, Bo at 3B.  Gurriel will will most likely be the utility guy that can play infield or outfield like a Marwin Gonzalez.  OF is already taken by Hernandez, Alford and Pompey.

3 hours ago, TheBoatmen said:

Except it will be Vlad at 1st, Biggio at 2B, Warmoth at SS, Bo at 3B.  Gurriel will will most likely be the utility guy that can play infield or outfield like a Marwin Gonzalez.  OF is already taken by Hernandez, Alford and Pompey.

You still believe in Pompey The Less Than Great?  I sure don't.  Guy has never remotely hit major league pitching.  And who is Biggio?  He isn't even listed in the top thirty among Toronto prospects.  Not buying it.  Lourdes is the guy with the biggest potential in my book after Vlad and Bo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

You still believe in Pompey The Less Than Great?  I sure don't.  Guy has never remotely hit major league pitching.  And who is Biggio?  He isn't even listed in the top thirty among Toronto prospects.  Not buying it.  Lourdes is the guy with the biggest potential in my book after Vlad and Bo.

Under the radar prospect. Craig Biggio's son. Cut his K rate this year and is off to a good start.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

In the Sunday New York Times they had a piece about the three kids and their famous fathers (Vlad Jr., Biggio & Bichette). I went up to New Hampshire on the 14th to see a game, all three played. Vlad & Bo got hits while Caven went hitless.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Under the radar prospect. Craig Biggio's son. Cut his K rate this year and is off to a good start.

Maybe. But it's way premature at this stage. Biggio's basically sucked as a prospect outside 12 games to start the AA season. Which may sound a bit harsh. I mean he's been okay in the minors. But okay, combined with his age (already 23) doesn't exactly make one think too highly. If he maintains this for more than 12 games, obviously that changes. As for Gurriel, he's in the majors now, so he'll have an opportunity to carve at a role. Not sure he can, but at least the chance is there.

• Like 1

Travis was optioned to the minors today, making Gurriel the starting 2B.

With Donaldson coming back and given Solarte's versatility i was thinking Gurriel was at risk of being sent down but still started today and had a nice game in game 1 of the DH. 

What kind of upside does he have and is it likely he sticks with the team all season?

14 minutes ago, Letitbe793 said:

With Donaldson coming back and given Solarte's versatility i was thinking Gurriel was at risk of being sent down but still started today and had a nice game in game 1 of the DH. 

What kind of upside does he have and is it likely he sticks with the team all season?

Depends what happens when Smoak comes back from paternity leave.  With Kendrys and JD both healthy now, the only path to playing time I see is at SS since Solarte is likely to settle in at 2B when he's not super-utilitying........Diaz hasn't been very good, so it wouldn't be a stretch to see Gurriel continue getting starts at SS.  The club likes what they've seen in Teoscar already and if Gurriel survives demotion when Smoak is back, it appears they wanna see more of what they've got in Gurriel too.  They did demote Travis after all to give Lourdes a longer look.  Pearce is another guy who's probably going to be in the mix somewhere, but the guy is a .254 career hitter without any upside, so I wouldn't consider him a big threat.

Edited by Yceman1234

How long is this kid's leash? He's hitting .229-3-1-6-1 through 48 ABs...only 2 xbh, 2 walks, .260 OBP, .573 OPS. I'm not giving up on Gurriel, but he hasn't hit well overall. I'm just wondering how long Toronto will be patient with him. 

For those in Yahoo leagues, he's 2 starts away from gaining SS eligibility. 

And...how do you pronounce his first name? Is it lord-ess? 

Looks like I'm just talking to myself itt. Lol. 

Lourdes has been named the starting SS for Toronto with Diaz hitting the DL for a few weeks, so he should be 2B/SS/OF eligible in Yahoo leagues after today. Gurriel really needs to do something with this opportunity, however. He's young and a rookie, but his first 17 games haven't been very productive. 

• Like 1

Gurriel is batting lead-off now. His recent string of games  isn't so bad at all. Anyone else looking at him? Maybe more a 2B/SS league setup guy?

What kind of wheels does he have?

Edited by k.k.

2 hours ago, k.k. said:

Gurriel is batting lead-off now. His recent string of games  isn't so bad at all. Anyone else looking at him? Maybe more a 2B/SS league setup guy?

What kind of wheels does he have?

I think he has decent speed, but he probably is going to be a 8-12 SB type of guy for the most part. I'm curiously watching him this year. I had him during his first call-up but dropped him when he went ice cold. He has 2B/SS/OF eligibility on Yahoo, so there should be some intrigue for 12+ teamers. 

The couple of broadcast games I've seen him at at Fenway he looks good at the plate.  OTOH he did a Bill Buckner of a very routein ball right through the wickets to lead off the bottom of the 10th that ultimate would result in Xander's walk off slam.  Hope he doesn't let that get in his head.  Ironically Eck up in the booth was just commenting on how Gurriel had a good build for a SS and looked really smooth, heh.  Baseball, it never fails.

He is the younger of the Gurriel brothers and was touted when they came over here to be the more talented.  In fact Houston signed the older one hoping that would entice Lourdes to sign with them too I remember but that didn't work out for them though Yuli has done pretty well.

• Like 1

On DL now with a concussion.  Can come off it next Sunday - at least it's ASB so he only misses a couple of games.  Though only the deepest of deep leagues need to start him.  He's a lottery ticket bench stash at best given his minor league and major league numbers to this point. 

Unlike some other Cuban players, the money didn't go to the kids head as he reportedly really puts in the work.  Just hasn't shown anything since he's been Stateside. 

Edited by Baseball Jonze

He's been great since being recalled. His plate discipline has improved as well.

4/20 - 5/11 His first stint, 20 games:

43.5% O-swing

74.6% Z-swing

12.0% Swinging Strikes

7/2 - 7/23 recall, 12 games:

34.0% O-swing 

71.2% Z-swing

8.2% Swinging strikes

He's swinging at less garbage, and not by being passive as you can see he's still aggressive at strikes swinging over 70% at them. He's really adjusted to laying off junk.

However, this is a very small sample and he must maintain this improvement before we can say this particular skill had actually improved.

It's not everyday you find a 6'2" SS with his offensive upside. He's only 24 so I'm excited about his potential and ability to contribute now. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

He's been great since being recalled. His plate discipline has improved as well.

4/20 - 5/11 His first stint, 20 games:

43.5% O-swing

74.6% Z-swing

12.0% Swinging Strikes

7/2 - 7/23 recall, 12 games:

34.0% O-swing 

71.2% Z-swing

8.2% Swinging strikes

He's swinging at less garbage, and not by being passive as you can see he's still aggressive at strikes swinging over 70% at them. He's really adjusted to laying off junk.

However, this is a very small sample and he must maintain this improvement before we can say this particular skill had actually improved.

It's not everyday you find a 6'2" SS with his offensive upside. He's only 24 so I'm excited about his potential and ability to contribute now. 

Thanks for this analysis. It is very encouraging especially given Gurriels pedigree coming out of Cuba (I remember he was seen as this next big Cuban star and the more toosly between the brothers). 

I’m trying to buy him in all keeper leagues given that the price hasn’t caught up with his skills even after an absolute godly last month with the bat. 

6 straight multi-hit games.

• Like 1