Lourdes Gurriel 2018 Outlook

21 hours ago, NoHablaIngles said:

Another multi hit game 

.... And again, that makes 8 straight multi hit games for the younger gurriel

24 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

.... And again, that makes 8 straight multi hit games for the younger gurriel

MLB record is 13 by Hornsby...

• Like 1

If you are in anything more than a 10 teamer (and depending on your team, some 10 teamers too), run - don't walk. 

Aw man, went to go pick him up only to realize he only has SS/2B elig. For some reason I thought he played outfield lol

Picked him up last night, nice way to start things off. Anyone have season projection guesses on this guy? Some more walks to help bump his OBP/OPS would be nice but doesn’t seem to be his style. If he just goes 2fer from here on out I’ll be fine with the lack of walks..

4 hours ago, street sharks said:

Aw man, went to go pick him up only to realize he only has SS/2B elig. For some reason I thought he played outfield lol

He has OF in yahoo 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KrunK said:

Picked him up last night, nice way to start things off. Anyone have season projection guesses on this guy? Some more walks to help bump his OBP/OPS would be nice but doesn’t seem to be his style. If he just goes 2fer from here on out I’ll be fine with the lack of walks..

Asking a Gurriel brother to take a walk is like asking Joey Gallo not to strike out. 

• Like 1

I'm not trying to rain on the parade but there's a few things to keep in mind.

First Gibbons is an idiot.  He will probably bench Gurriel from time to time..  The Jays have too many infielders, Gurriel, Diaz, Drury (New and supposed to play), Devon Travis, Solarte and maybe ..someday..Josh Donaldson.

Second, he has a horrible walk rate.  1 walk every 50 ABs will not cut it and he can't last with that kind of discipline.

But ride him while he's hot.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

First Gibbons is an idiot.  He will probably bench Gurriel from time to time..  The Jays have too many infielders, Gurriel, Diaz, Drury (New and supposed to play), Devon Travis, Solarte and maybe ..someday..Josh Donaldson.

Second, he has a horrible walk rate.  1 walk every 50 ABs will not cut it and he can't last with that kind of discipline.

The walk rate hurts for those in OPS or OBP leagues. But it shouldn’t affect any of his other stats (apart from runs).

12 minutes ago, thebull315 said:

The walk rate hurts for those in OPS or OBP leagues. But it shouldn’t affect any of his other stats (apart from runs).

It’s very hard to sustain success with that level of plate discipline. It’s not just what it impacts stats wise at the moment, it’s indicative of his future chances of success. 

Used his recent hotness to flip him in a trade. I'm curious to see what kind of player he eventually evolves into because he seems to be showing more power right now than I thought he's have. 

Well his brother is going to talk him up.  Because that's what family should do.  Especially in the Latin community where family is especially close if you go by the old stereotype.

My guess is that he's Yuri Gurriel part II.  He should have a solid enough batting avg, the occasional Home Run, almost never walk, have some stretches of greatness where you think he's the next best thing since sliced Trout.  Ultimately be agood but not great MLB player.  And that's fine.  The problem is that I don't know if he plays every day when the hitting backs off a bit. 

1 hour ago, KingJoffrey said:

Well his brother is going to talk him up.  Because that's what family should do.  Especially in the Latin community where family is especially close if you go by the old stereotype.

My guess is that he's Yuri Gurriel part II.  He should have a solid enough batting avg, the occasional Home Run, almost never walk, have some stretches of greatness where you think he's the next best thing since sliced Trout.  Ultimately be agood but not great MLB player.  And that's fine.  The problem is that I don't know if he plays every day when the hitting backs off a bit. 

Yuli's numbers are pretty good BUT Lourdes also plays up the middle. So Yuli type numbers at the SS/2B position is damn valuable. 

Add in that Yuli Gurriel is leaving his prime, while Lourdes is still going to enter it in a few years. Yeah, Im excited.

Anyone else think it's kinda weird that Lourdes is named after his dad, and Yuli isn't?

Usually the firstborn is the junior, right?

6 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

Lourdes is the first of Toronto's new infield with Vlad and Bo to follow in the next year or so.  In dynasties he is golden.  Donaldson is out after this year and I seriously wonder if he will even come back this year and if he does he will probably injure himself the first game back.  Drury is utility.  Solarte is a temp patch to get to The Future Three.  And Devon Travis collects injuries like a numismatist collects coins.

5 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

Except everyone in MLB viewed Lourdes as far better of the two brothers too.  Houston only signed Yuli to have an inside tract to signing Lourdes and admitted it.  Gambit didn't work but they tried because they wanted Lourdes that much.  Hell, everyone wanted Lourdes.  Yuli rode his coattail.  Not the other way around.

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Lourdes is the first of Toronto's new infield with Vlad and Bo to follow in the next year or so.  In dynasties he is golden.  Donaldson is out after this year and I seriously wonder if he will even come back this year and if he does he will probably injure himself the first game back.  Drury is utility.  Solarte is a temp patch to get to The Future Three.  And Devon Travis collects injuries like a numismatist collects coins.

Except everyone in MLB viewed Lourdes as far better of the two brothers too.  Houston only signed Yuli to have an inside tract to signing Lourdes and admitted it.  Gambit didn't work but they tried because they wanted Lourdes that much.  Hell, everyone wanted Lourdes.  Yuli rode his coattail.  Not the other way around.

What about Cavan Biggio?  I think Vlad ends up at 1B, his caboose at 18yo tells me so.  Can any of Bo, Cavan or Lourdes play 3B?

First rookie to have multi-hit games for 10 consecutive games since Shoeless Joe Jackson in 1911

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Baseball Jonze said:

What about Cavan Biggio?  I think Vlad ends up at 1B, his caboose at 18yo tells me so.  Can any of Bo, Cavan or Lourdes play 3B?

I think Vlad ends up a DH

16 hours ago, tywalson said:

It’s very hard to sustain success with that level of plate discipline. It’s not just what it impacts stats wise at the moment, it’s indicative of his future chances of success. 

I dunno, there are always exceptions. I'd sure love to have Javy Baez on my team this year...

• Like 3